Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

September 2020 Surgery Group

Options
124»

Comments

• marie914
    marie914 Member Posts: 152
    Options

Hello - how is everyone doing?

Mangosan - so sorry about your infection - how are you feeling?

How is everyone else? LizLynn, Eucalyptia, Kim, MsMurphy, hogcopilot, vainandafraid, and anyone else. It is good to hear others' stories.

I am 5 weeks post left mastectomy and expander tomorrow. I am going to have a port put in tomorrow. I will start chemo the week of November 2 - we think. I see the oncologist for my plan on Thursday 10/22. I will be working through my chemo as much as I can. I work from home mostly on my laptop and phone. This time of year November-January is pretty slow and more planning for 2021 so I should be good.

I saw the oncologist and my mammaprint came back high risk so she wants me to have 4 cycles of chemo TC taxotere and cytoxan. I saw the breast surgeon last week and I am healing great! She gave me a copy of the mammoprint and explained it. I am right on the border of high and low risk but a little bit more on the high risk side. Also if you just look at my tumor 2.3 cm, no lymph nodes, HER2- but ER/PR +, I'm still right on the border of needing chemo. Also the tumor marker in my blood is a little elevated. 44 and the range is up to 38. The PET scan came back good - no signs of the cancer spreading which doesn't mean any micro cancer particles are floating around - hence the preventive chemo.

The BS said it was up to me what I decided. I am kind of preventive and I did all this with left mastectomy and expander I thought I might as well get the preventive chemo. So here I go. I am having the port put in tomorrow even though I don't start chemo for a few weeks since 10/24 we are going to the Florida Keys for a week of vacation. Just my husband and I - just relaxing and doing some fishing. It is a 3 hour drive for us and a condo right on ocean with a balcony looking out on the water.

My expander is doing great I think. I had two fills of 100 ccs and in the beginning they put in about 50 ccs. Tuesday, if I feel up to it, she will put in another 100 ccs and then I will skip the week of vacation. It feels hard a lot but the PS said I am healing great. I am sleeping on my back still but last night tried to lay on my side with a pillow and I did that for a few hours. I sure hope the port doesn't give me any problems.

• Mangosan99
    Mangosan99 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi marie! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are doing really well, all things considered. I hope you can enjoy your vacation. We have a trip planned to Marco Island in January so I am hoping my surgeries, etc. can be worked around it. We love your area of the country in the winter.

I had surgery on Tuesday to deal with the infection and the PS made the decision to remove the TE. Fortunately I am rebounding from that pretty quick--it seemed to eradicate the infection immediately. Downside is I still have a drain. I have a follow-up Tuesday and will get more detail on the way ahead but the general guidance is that the pocket has to heal 8-12 weeks before replacing the TE and resuming the process.

Crazy thing in the meantime is that I've developed a case of shingles. Ugh! It is on my foot/lower leg so I was really afraid I was experiencing a blood clot post-up but the ER doc saw the blister on my leg and immediately diagnosed shingles. Too much stress he said...sigh. Odd thing is that I've had Shingrex, the improved vaccine, which is supposed to have a 97% effective rate. I am just beating the odds all around.

I, too, would love to hear how everyone is progressing. Could use some good news!

• marie914
    Options

Mangosan - So your right tissue expander is doing okay? That is awful about shingles. I had the shingrex vaccine since I had shingles once before near my eye. Did you get two doses of the vaccine? They told me I had to have two to make it effective (97%).

I'm glad the infection went away right away. I'm sure you will be rid of the drain soon. I don't really know what to look for to see if it is infected. You said it turned red. Any other things to look for.

That is great that you are going to Marco Island in January - beautiful. I will most likely getting my last chemo (#4) treatment first week of January or I would want to meet you for a drink in Naples or something. Have to compare notes. We lived in Georgia (in Woodstock north of Atlanta) for about 13 months March 2017 to April 2018 for my husband's work. I work remotely so I can go almost anywhere. My company did have an office in Atlanta but it in Buckhead and I never went in except for client meetings. Too far to go in every day.

• MsMurphy
    MsMurphy Member Posts: 32
    Options

So glad your infection cleared up mangosan. How frightening! Will you have to start completely over once the TE is replaced or will there be enough room for a larger fill?

I'm jealous of all you that are getting vacations. We had one planned the same week tbat my surgery ended up scheduled. Maybe we'll get one next year.

I'm heading in for my mammogram Thursday and I'm not sure if I want the tumor to show up or not. On one hand, I'll have the peace of mind that we know where it is and can have it removed for real but on the other I will be so furious that the whole reason I had surgery was missed and I will need another.

Warm thoughts to all of you and your recovery path. Are you all ready to start chemo?

• hog_co-pilot
    hog_co-pilot Member Posts: 36
    Options

Marie914, thanks for checking in! I’m doing okay, I suppose. Still experiencing a bit of pain from the TEs. The edge of the right TE is trying to protrude through my skin. Despite two fills, we can’t get it to flatten enough to be painless. Also, I’ve got some internal sutures at my sides that should dissolve in 2 months after my surgery, so they should be dissolved by Thanksgiving. Once the right corner of this TE flattens and these internal sutures dissolve, I think I’ll feel much better.

• Eucalyptia
    Eucalyptia Member Posts: 17
    Options

I am officially 4 weeks out tonight! I am feeling so much better. The nerve pain is more tolerable. I go this week for my first fill- hoping that some of the pain from the expanders subsides once they are less flat (that weird edge situation on my side is so uncomfortable). I am desperate to sleep on my side...but I just cant get there comfortably. Hoping to be cleared to workout soon...port procedure will be next week, starting chemo (taxol and herceptin for 12 weeks/ then herceptin for a year) shortly thereafter. I am so over being in pain- and angry that there's at least another 16 weeks of discomfort ahead of me.

• marie914
    Options

Eucalyptia glad you are feeling better

I had my third fill of 100 cc. I’m up to 350. It just feels a little tight. My neck is still a bit sore from port surgery.

No appointments tomorrow. Thursday is oncologist and I should get more information on when my chemo starts. Friday is checkup at BS for the port surgery.

• Mangosan99
    Options

I am so encouraged to hear from everyone. And, I am sending virtual hugs for you all that are enduring the next step of chemo and/or radiation. I see the oncologist next week but have been told I will probably escape these additional treatments.

Saw PS yesterday and got less info than I wanted on next steps because she was perplexed by my shingles--she wasn't convinced I did not have a blood clot so sent me for US. That was clear so I'm just proceeding with my weird presentation of shingles. And, yes, I had both Shingrex shots within 6 months of each other so my chances of shingles was only 3%--time to play the lottery!

Best news is that my last drain is out! 33 days with a drain and I'm now free. Hallelujah!

My right TE is doing great and much more comfortable now that it isn't stretched by the left. I basically have a deflated boob on the left that is all wrinkled up--looks like a turkey wing--lol! PS wants me to massage it to keep it soft so the wrinkles will not be evident when we replace the TE. If you told be a year ago what I would be doing now, I would have LMAO or cried hysterically.

marie, you asked about my infection, yes, it just turned an angry red about 2 inches in diameter around the nipple and was kind of hot. Culture came back from surgery negative so may not have been an infection but something was wrong. This was the cancer side and it has given me trouble all along so I'm cautiously optimistic it will cooperate the remainder of the journey. And, small world...I grew up in Marietta where my mom still lives, our best friends live in Woodstock, and we live in the city south of Buckhead. My PS is in Buckhead. My husband and I are seriously considering moving to south Florida in about 5 years. Maybe our plans will line up to have a drink in January--I am hoping our vacation plans stick.

MsMurphy, let us know how your mammogram goes tomorrow.

• marie914
    Options

Mangosan - how funny! My husband works for Cox and he now works from home but that is why we lived in Woodstock for a year since he was working in the office his first year with the company. I work for Mercer/Marsh McLennan which is in Buckhead area but we have offices all over the world. My clients are healthcare providers/hospitals and also insurers.

I feel pretty good today. My breast is still a little tight from the fill but not bad. I did take a muscle relaxer last night and slept great. My neck is better too.

Have a great day all!

• Mangosan99
    Options

Hey everyone! Just checking in. I am now 5.5 weeks post op from BMX (first surgery) and almost 2 weeks post op from left TE removal and I'm starting to feel like doing a lot more. So, I was wondering what everyone else is experiencing and whether what I'm doing is ok or normal?

I am not lifting more than 1-2 pounds (maybe a cleaning bucket or medium weight pot) but doing a lot of little things like wiping down surfaces and cooking. No sweeping or vacuuming but reaching through my range of motion. Around late afternoon I feel like I'm done enough and back off for the rest of the day but feel ready to go at it again the next day.

I'm going to check in with my PS this week but wondering what everyone else is feeling like or if anyone has done too much and it backfired?

• Kemiller
    Kemiller Member Posts: 12
    Options

just when I thought my discomfort would never end on my right side with my implant. I turned the corner 5.5 werks out. Feeling good, and my breast surgeon graduated me I will see her in 5 months. This week I meet my radiologist, my lymphnode was not clear. Gearing up for the next step.

• marie914
    Options

6 weeks from my left mastectomy and expander. 1 week from my port. My expander only hurts a few days after a fill and not enough to slow me down. Just hard and tight. Massaging seems to help. My port is a little sore especially since my bra strap hits it. I hope it settles down this week.

• marie914
    Options

How is everyone doing?

My port is finally feeling better. My first of four chemo sessions is today. It is going really well but I guess the side effects are what is difficult. I am cold capping so not the most pleasant but not too bad

My mastectomy scar is really healing but they will be opening it back up fir the exchange surgery. My expander feels pretty good. It has 350 ccs and going up to 650 probably. So 3 more fills. I am hoping to finish fills later in November and then PD wants to wait two months so that is February. My last chemo should be January 6 so by February I should be ready for surgery. And get this port out too

• Colholly
    Colholly Member Posts: 7
    Options

hi all

I’m 5 weeks post bi lateral mastectomy with delayed reconstruction. Feeling good and went back to work 3 weeks ago. My ribs have been painful and stick out so I look a bit weird like my boobs have fell into my ribs!

I have expanders which they’ll start filling in about 3 weeks time - just wondered if anyone else is going through the expander journey and have any hints or tips

• marie914
    Options

Hello Colholly - I am 7 weeks post unilateral mastectomy with an expander. I have 50 ccs put in and 3 more fills of 100 ccs each. Everytime it feels tight, hard, sunburned, variety of feelings. I do massage some and that seems to help. I am heavier most likely than you so I haven't had the rib feeling. One week I did feel the edges of the expander but with more fills that went away. Last week I did feel the port for awhile. It was high on my chest. My expander is quite high but I read that is to be expected and when they do the exchange surgery it feels so much softer and it gets lower.

I had my first fill a week after mastectomy/expander. I was surprised but it was fine. It made the edges (ribs?) feel better. My expander is 600 ccs and she said probably she will overfill so I am looking at another 3 - 100 ccs. Now that I know what to expect it seems like it is going better. I have been able to sleep on my sides the last two weeks which is so much better than my back. I do take a muscle relaxer the first two nights and it seems to help.

Hope this helps!

• Mskiles
    Mskiles Member Posts: 8
    Options

I met with my nurse navigator before my lumpectomy and she fitted me with a post surgical bra. I think they also sell them on Amazon but they aren’t cheap.
    Otherwise, find some comfortable, not-too-tight sport-type bras.

• marie914
    Options

I just had another 100 cc fill today to bring me up to 450 ccs. Hoping two more fills to 650 ccs and then wait 2+ months until they settle and then until I recover from chemo (Jan 6 is my last chemo). Can't wait to get the real implant in. I have been able to sleep on my side now so that feels so good. We will see tonight since I had the fill - I usually take a muscle relaxer the first night or two after a fill. My next one is next Wednesday unless I don't feel like it.

• Mangosan99
    Options

Hi everyone! Seventh week post op for BMX w/delayed recon and 3rd week post op for explant of left TE due to infection/rejection. Saw my PS this week and given a 2+ month reprieve; scheduled surgery to place left TE again in January and resume the process. ITM, she cleared me for any/all exercise. Yay!

The only thing I'm battling now is some lingering fatigue from it all. I feel normal for a day or so and then the fatigue sets in and I can not do anything to push past it. Just have to retreat for a few days. The good thing is that I work part time from home so can easily work around it.

Marie, it sounds like you are doing well after your first chemo session. Good to hear.

Now that I have experienced several weeks without a TE fill, I am an advocate for going slow if you are having discomfort. My right breast, the one with the TE has softened and relaxed quite a bit after almost month without a fill. I also wear an inexpensive Fruit of the Loom "sports bra" (from Amazon) that hooks in the front that seems to keep the TE from digging into my ribs.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

• marie914
    Options

Hello, well last weekend was not good. Chemo or Neulasta hit me hard. It is Day 8 and I am starting to feel better the last few days.

I got a fill last Friday so 450 and today I got another 100 so I am at 550. I have a 600 cc expander but she thinks she is going to go to 650 at least. She said next time she will check it out and how it looks and compare it to my other breast She said she can fill it a bit more even.

My fills are getting less painful as I go. I massage the expander/breast and take muscle relaxers the first night or two.

• hnsquared
    hnsquared Member Posts: 47
    Options

marie914 when I did chemo the neulasta was the worst (but necessary because it keeps you blood counts high). I took Claritin all through chemo while I was getting neulasta to keep from feeling bone pain but nothing helped feeling so fatigued and spacey. I found drinking tons of water 90-100 oz a day and eating lots of protein helped. You will find a pattern and know which days are good and which are tough. It will go by quickly. Sending you positive thoughts

• marie914
    Options

thanks hnsquared! It helps to hear from others who went through it

• Mangosan99
    Options

Just wanted to check in and say "hello."

Thanks for keeping us posted marie; I hope the rest of your week was better. I am sorry you are having to suffer through this stage of the fight.

I have been able to take a bit of a break from everything. Just started seeing a PT weekly to help break up the scars/adhesions on my explanted side. And, I have just started back at the gym starting very slow. Feel like I'm catching my breath before the next phase of reconstruction.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.