Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STARTING CHEMO SEPTEMBER 2020

Options
124»

Comments

• Szmom4
    Szmom4 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2020
    Options

I'm on Taxol, not AC yet, but I'm takingL-Glutamine, B Complex and Claritin daily (ps...found out after research it really needs to be Claritin). I didn't take them daily and I didn't drink enough water. I'm 100% sure that's why this week is so rough. Also, my bones on my thighs hurt so bad (didn't bother me until I stopped Claritin and L-G) and I now have Restless Leg Syndrome. The only thing I have found that stops both enough to let me sleep are CBD gummies. It also calms the nausea. Stay on top of meds. Take before it starts bothering you.

These are the things I have discovered for me and my only advice to help.

We can do this ladies.

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2020
    Options

StartNew, hang in there. AC is rough, and I honestly found myself wondering if I could go through with the whole 4 rounds. For what it's worth, I tried the fasting mimicking diet for a couple of rounds. It's supposed to help with some of the stomach issues - but the reason I really tried it was it is also reputed to make the chemo more effective. In any case, I couldn't keep it up. I think it was after the 2nd round that I started taking immune supplements. Turkeytail mushroom extract and a blend called MyCommunity. I believe they have made a huge difference. My mother-in-law (nurse) thoroughly researched this and suggested it - actually got me the first few bottles. I told my oncologist about it (who had previously been very anti anything supplemental during chemo), and she said she had heard of it and was fine with it. Other than drinking a ton of water and trying to stay as active as possible, I can't offer much other advice. I hope it gets better for you.

• pabl48
    pabl48 Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2020
    Options

UPDATE on 2nd round of Taxotere and Cytoxin. I had a much easier time I don't know if it was just a gift or the combination of Claritin, Pepcid and Ibuprofen. Had bowel issues again fortunately only lasted one day and 2 Imodium later. The only thing different this time is a 3 day headache which I am fortunate that I rarely get headaches so not sure what that was about. i am also still dealing with thrush so all foods taste bland have been drinking lots of water and tea.I agree about staying on top of meds better to be proactive. I am also making sure to walk or bike ride everyday not easy as I seem to get out of breath quickly, but I am determined!

I am still cold capping and have lost only minimal hair as of now!

Take care and hope everyone's next treatment was as easy as mine was.

Crossing my fingers and toes for round 3 on October 23.

XX Pink Sisters

• Katiha
    Katiha Member Posts: 25
    edited October 2020
    Options

Szmom4,

How are you doing? Mom had her second infusion 5 days ago and had hard 3rd and 4th day. She had dry mouth this time.

Did you have any other side effects besides restless legs and bone pain?

Hope you are doing well,

Kate

• rere1967
    rere1967 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020
    Options

Sept 30 was my first treatment ( TC 4 rounds every 3 weeks). Did not have any bone pain from the Neulasta...i started Claritin on Sept 28 on the advise of a friend who had the same treatment plan a year ago. Not sure if was the early start on the Claritin or i got lucky. Felt pretty good days 2-3 but days 4-5 i was very tired and had severe constipation even after drinking lots of water. I will preplan for that on my next round on Oct 21. I am at day 12 today and feel like my old self. Does anyone know is the fatigue and other side effects are accumulative with each treatment?

• JustADebUSee
    JustADebUSee Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2020
    Options

I started chemo on 9/8 and have completed 3 of the 4 rounds of AC portion. Taxol will start in November and continue for 12 weeks. Side effects have been manageable so far. I'm hoping that continues.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited October 2020
    Options

Welcome rere1967 and justADebUSee,

We hope you find our community helpful to you, and appreciate you sharing your experiences!

Here is a page that could be helpful Chemotherapy side effects

Please message us if you any of you need anything.

Medicating The Mods

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    edited October 2020
    Options

hello ladies,

I am scheduled to start chemo at the end of October. I have shoulder length hair, is it best to cut it short before starting chemo? How soon before it starts to fall out? I will be on AC T. Thanks for any tips/suggestions. Best of luck to us all!

Julie

• Szmom4
    Szmom4 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2020
    Options

jujumartin,

I only cut my hair short because my hair was and had been to the middle of my back for 30 years. I cut it short to help ease me into, no hair. It's whatever you are comfortable with. I started losing my hair about 3 weeks after I started chemo. I've been reading that's pretty typical. It was at the point where I felt like evertime I moved, you could see hundreds of hairs at the bottom of my hair line falling out, so I shaved. It's only been a week and it's still weird to see myself bald, but cutting it short was worse and more emotional.

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2020
    Options

Juju, It was after my 2nd round just before my 3rd that my long hair started coming out in clumps. I cut mine as short as I dared (about to my chin), but even that only lasted a few days. It came out so quickly, that it was embarrassing to go anywhere because of the hair I would leave behind. I "shaved" mine with trimmers, but with a short guard on. So, I didn't really have stubble, just really, really short hair. I called it my G.I. Jane cut. Later, when I felt like it was difficult to deal with it rubbing on the scarves and hats I was using, I shaved the front and sides without a guard. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't. Weeks later, the part I really did shave feels like stubble while the other feels baby soft. I mush prefer the softer hair no matter how it looks. Not sure if this is how everyone's hair works, but I thought I'd share. Good luck!

• juju-mar
    edited October 2020
    Options

thank you for the advise Susiemommy! I have no idea what to expect with hair loss...that for me will really make it real. I can pretend right now to be totally healthy, no one on the outside knows (if I haven't told them). But the scarves/head coverings etc are a give away that we are in ill health....

• pabl48
    edited October 2020
    Options

Just completed 3rd round of Taxotere/ Cytoxin. Still have my hair but shedding quite a bit.

I am still dealing with Thrush and the Taxotere rash on my face and neck. The Nuelasta on pro ejected yesterday afternoon so fingers crossed no bone pain. Very tired today.

If anyone has suggestions for either of these above to help clear up I would be happy to hear about them.

• Katiha
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hello ladies!

I have a little question and concern about the hair during chemo treatment.

If you don’t lose all the hair, does it mean chemo is not working in full power?

Moms hair started to grow back during treatment on her head and under arms, but not anywhere else.

She is worried

• JustADebUSee
    JustADebUSee Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2020
    Options

Jujumartin, since my hair was very long and thick, I did cut it very short prior to chemo. Right before my second round of chemo, I had my head buzzed/shaved because my scalp was hurting and it was beginning to fall out by the handfuls. Now that I've completed my fourth AC treatment, I just have a little stubble left right above my neck. I still have my eyelashes and my eyebrows. I start the T portion of my treatment next week.

• juju-mar
    edited October 2020
    Options

thanks for the info. I'm getting myself prepared for when it falls out...that will make this whole thing real for the rest of the world to see! Good luck with your treatment. Any side effect insight for us newbies? Thank

• July152020
    July152020 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2020
    Options

What cold mittens or socks do you guys have? The ones recommended by Tiffany are no longer available. I start my taxol on 11/11.

• Lovemyyorkies
    Lovemyyorkies Member Posts: 43
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi all. July152020 I was on Taxol weekly and held frozen water bottles. Thankfully no neuropathy. My MO stopped my Taxol after # 9 due to my side effects. Now I’m wondering what side effects to expect with Kanjinti. I’ve had 4 doses and will be on every 3 weeks until next September. Has anyone been on this ? Thank

• sharon0706
    sharon0706 Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi there. I'm about to start TC at the end of November, and the nurse gave me the choice of having my treatments on Tuesdays or Fridays. I have kids so I was thinking if it's at all possible to control the process (as if!), I would like to pick a day of the week when I will be more likely to feel somewhat better on the weekend.

For others who are doing TC, which days are worse or better the week of your treatment? Thanks.

- Sharon in Boston

• pabl48
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi Sharon. I had my treatment on Fridays. I felt pretty good all weekend. My MO had me take steroids twice a day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday so I felt good on those days and not to bad on Sunday. As the week progressed I would start to notice the SE. Good luck to you.

• pabl48
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I started this thread in early September not knowing what this chemotherapy had in store for me.

Well I am happy to say that I am finished 4 rounds later and I am done.

I wish the rest of you a successful and easy journey.

If you have any questions I may be able to answer for you please feel free to reach out to me.

Best to all of you amazing warriors

• renbird
    renbird Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2020
    Options

I'm so glad you are done! Congrats! Hope your rash and nails got better. Keep us posted. XO -Renbird

• Katiha
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hello, all!

Just wanted to come in to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving as much as it is possible.

My mom finished round 4 of chemo and has at least 2 more to go.

I hope everyone is doing well and trying to enjoy holidays

Kate

• July152020
    edited November 2020
    Options

I had my 3rd tc the day before thanksgiving, today I have a low fever (<100). I am praying that it doesn’t go over 100.4.

• sharon0706
    sharon0706 Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2020
    Options

July152020, so sorry to hear about your fever. Hope it hasn't gone up and that you are feeling stable.

• July152020
    edited November 2020
    Options

thanks Sharon. The fever broke this morning but I am going to get a covid test tomorrow just to be safe/

• July152020
    edited January 2021
    Options

my chemo finished on 1/27. The last 12 of weeks of T is nothing compared to the AC. All my nails hurt now and I am hoping this is just temporary and I will get all my hairs back.