Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2 months wait time for diagnostic mammogram

HH987
HH987 Member Posts: 15

hi I’m 33 from Canada. I have 2 kids breastfeeding about 4 years total and no BC history in my family. 2 weeks ago I went to see my family doctor for a regular smear test, he asked if I also want to do a physical test for breasts. I have never done that before so I agreed. Then he found at least 5 lumps in my breast! (2 in left and about 3 smaller lumps in right) He said it was likely Fibroadenoma, but a diagnostic mammogram will be scheduled. Then the hospital scheduled it on 15 Jan! I’m too scared to wait for such a long time and called my family doctor again. He said if I felt anything change in my breasts during waiting he could require a emergency mammogram but now he won’t.

The problem is even he draw a picture to show the location of lumps I still can’t find them! How can I know if they grow larger?i do have several lumps (bigger or smaller) but they almost symmetrical in both breasts and not in the position he showed me...i do feel pain both breasts before my period and go after. I’m freaking out cant stop google it. Also I asked my doctor friends in China about my symptoms.one told me it was rare chance to be cancer another one went directly to breasts department they all agreed it should be Fibroadenoma.

I touched my breasts about 20 times a day since then and keep thinking if they are BC it will spread my whole body in those 2 months. Does anyone could kindly help me to tell the difference feeling about lumps and tissues? Or please encourage me a little~ (Sorry for my poor English

Comments

• peggysmom
    peggysmom Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2020

That seems like an awfully long wait for a diagnostic work-up. Any palpable abnormality should be evaluated sooner than that. Maybe call and see if there is a cancellation or weekend appointment?

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited December 2020

Fibroadenomas, or cysts. Both are very common, benign, harmless lumps, and both are much more likely to be found in multiples and in both breasts than cancerous lumps. For this reason, it's actually much less concerning to have 5 lumps than to have one.

Any breast lumps should be checked out, but since your situation appears to be very low risk, your doctor is right that this is not an emergency. My advice... stop feeling your breasts, keep reminding yourself that your own doctor and your friends who are doctors all think that this is likely to be nothing serious, and go on with your life for the next 6 weeks (as much as you can, in our Covid world!). Then go for the appointment on January 15th.

Let us know how it goes!

• HH987
    edited December 2020

Thanks for your advice! Known that multiple lumps are more likely to be benign is such a relief. (When I googled multiple lumps there showed several cases turned to be one cancerous among benign tumors but I think compared with single lump it still rare

• HH987
    edited December 2020

i also called other hospital, they told me the earliest spot is March! And because it’s diagnostic it will take more time than screening, so if someone canceled her screening appointment there might still not enough time to put me in. I also searched for private clinic in Vancouver there only ultrasound and charged for about 600 bucks. My doctor friends thought it was no need to spend 600 for mysituation...

• sasamat
    sasamat Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2020

Hi HH987,

I'm also in Vancouver, BC. I'm going through a diagnostic process that started in early September and there's 2- 8 weeks between each step (screening mammo, diagnostic mammo, core needle biopsies, ultrasound, surgical biopsy). I'm older than you (50) and have various stuff that makes the situation higher risk. And even then, things are very much NON URGENT from their point of view. I've had screening mammograms and call backs for diagnostic mammogram or ultrasound several times over the past 10 years.

It is super frustrating -- believe me I know -- but I also believe it reflects how likely it is that you've got a fast growing and/or invasive thing ... meaning it is very, very likely that you will have benign findings.

It's such a shock to even contemplate something might be wrong. But hopefully your brain will get tired of being super anxious and will relax into the fact that it will be thoroughly checked out in January.

Our medical care is high quality, but definitely does not turn on a dime. I see people on these forums who somehow end up having an MRI one week after something suspicious and it blows my mind. But at this point, you may as well trust in the process.

As someone who's at elevated risk of breast cancer, I've concluded the main thing I have influence over (after advocating for myself) is exercise and diet. Getting outdoors and eating well is a good way to channel the need to do something about this now.

• sasamat
    edited December 2020

I have done the private route here in Vancouver (for breast ultrasound). But the utility of imaging has so much to do with the tech's and radiologist's experience and with comparing todays images to all the previous ones. I agree with your friends' advice to stay within our main system. You will get the best expertise and these images will be available in the future.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited December 2020

My healthcare has been through a huge very busypublic hospital and their associated clinics and breast center. I waited from mid November to early February between my screening and diagnostic mammogram. I knew I would have been “triaged” up the line if they though it looked very concerning.

• HH987
    edited December 2020

@sasamat thanks for share your own experience! Best luck for all your tests. I can’t understand why ultrasound here is just a follow up for mammogram. (My doctor won’t referral me to do ultrasound first) In Asian, ultrasound is the first step to screen young women usually have dense tissue which is much easier and cheaper than mammogram. You can get the results within 2 hours.

• sasamat
    edited December 2020

Yeah, what you say makes sense and yet it doesn't seem to be how it works here. I had ultrasound first only once, to investigate something during a pregnancy.

Every other diagnostic mammogram I've had ... they held onto me until they resolved the issue, if at all possible. So twice in the past that has meant I stuck around and they took additional mammogram images and I went straight to ultrasound with the radiologist doing it personally and I left with my (benign) result. My current process is going differently, because I've needed follow-up procedures that require different personnel and equipment.

So your Jan 15 appt is for mammogram, but if they think ultrasound would be helpful, they might do it right then and there. That has been my experience at BC Women's.

• peggysmom
    peggysmom Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2020

In my case, abnormal baseline screening mammogram. Additional diagnosic images were obtained on the spot. Contrast enhanced CT and tomo biopsy same day. Following day MRI and 2-3 days later additional 2 site stereo bx of calcs.

6-8 weeks for diagnostic imaging is unacceptable, whether 1 lump or 5 a diagnostic is a diagnostic is a diagnostic. Same time for additional mammographic views and ultrasound. I am in disbelief of the wait times in Canada.

I know in the UK (also socialized healthcare) there was a "2 week wait" for ANY concern of malignancy everything is worked up and treatment started within 2 weeks.. not sure if it is still the case or if this applies to breast imaging.

• melissadallas
    edited December 2020

peggysmom, it is acceptable (and common) because only very rarely would six weeks (or even six months) make any difference to speak of. Her doctors have already assessed this as being a low risk situation and the more immediate appointments are likely reserved for people they have assessed as likely (or at least more likely) to have cancer. Depending on where you live, COVID is also affecting wait times.

• HH987
    edited December 2020

thanks Mellisa. As my doctor said if i found anything change in these 8 weeks he could ask a emergency, so I think he do consider it’s nothing serious. (Try to comfort myself, if it’s suspicious the doctor is able to ask the test ASAP)COVID is affecting the wait time a lot he said usually took couple weeks to get the results.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited December 2020

"I am in disbelief of the wait times in Canada."

How about we don't generalize. Every situation is different. Sometimes there are wait times, sometimes things move quickly. It depends on the doctor, the facility, the city, the province, the time of year, the specific situation, restrictions due to Covid, etc... It is no different in the U.S., as MelissaDallas's example shows. I'm in Canada too and today I called to book an ultrasound (not breast but it doesn't really matter). I called at 11:00 and was told "the earliest we can see you is 1:00 today". That was actually too soon for me so I booked it a few days out.

HH987, sorry for taking your thread off topic (but then it already was). When someone has a long wait in the U.S., no one laments "American healthcare". It is understood that the wait is specific to that situation. It's no different in Canada. And for those who don't know, since healthcare in Canada is provincial, there is no such thing as "Canadian healthcare". There are some overriding rules and guidelines but each province runs their own healthcare systems and there are some significant differences.

HH987, as you said, if your doctor saw your situation to be urgent, he would bump you up the queue and get your mammogram scheduled more quickly - he told you this. The good news is that he doesn't see an urgency.

• HH987
    edited December 2020

thanks for all you guys. Today I checked again because my menstruation almost gone. Still feel lumps in both but seems tender than last week. lumps seems at symmetrical locations some are a little bigger than other side.Both breasts not pain anymore when I pressed. They were hurt and last about 1 weeks before periodand even more hurt when I think about the lumps.

I think it’s probably a relief for me now.

I have read lots of detective novels and focus on celebrity gossip which made me almost forgot my lumps today.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2020

the breast health clinic at jim Pattinson in Surrey keeps same day appts open for various scans when the Drs determine it's *required*. You could ask for a referral there. Dr Rhonda Janzen is probably best person to see there.

Medray in Coquitlam often has quick appts as well.

Best wishes

• HH987
    edited December 2020

thank yo for your information moth! I will contact with them to see the wait time there!

• HH987
    edited December 2020

today I called Surrey breast health clinic they do have same day appointment. But my family doc said he don’t know if he can referral me to Fraser region( I’m in Richmond) because of pandemic. He also asked if I felt any changes and told nothing need to be worried. The third time! ( he told me most of his patients in non-urgent situations preferred Richmond hospital than to other cities, he would ask for further information

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2020

HH, I'm sending you a PM

• HH987
    edited January 2021

I just update today’s exam. My doc insist I don’t need urgent referral so I wait till now.

My doc told me to take a X-ray the first time he found lumps so I thought I was waiting for diagnosis mammogram two months. But today hospital staff told me his actually referral me to ultrasound!! (2 months waiting just for an ultrasound only)

The ultrasound took about 45mins. A pretty young technician checked both breasts first then another technician checked all over again. They took a lots of images and write some notes. Because I saw two ladies before my appointment finished their exams about 15-20mins and the second technician came to make sure, I scared to death. The second tech saw I was shaking and tearing, she said it’s ok she didn’t see anything need to be over concerned.after they finished the first Tech told me I can get my report next Monday or Tuesday from my family doc and reassured me nothing to be over concerned

• sasamat
    edited January 2021

I just want to sympathize with your nerves. I had a very similar experience in November with a bilateral ultrasound (took a very long time, body language that I read as "concern", calling in the radiologist to redo things), in a somewhat more concerning situation (you can look at my recent posts).

And it all turned out OK, at least for now. I think ultrasounds are very different from mammograms, in the sense that you're right there staring into the eyes of the person capturing images and annotating them. Try not to let your imagination go too wild and take confidence from the tech who said there's nothing too concerning. Even though the techs don't make the final judgment, they obviously have a lot of practical experience and, I suspect, often have a very accurate assessment of the situation.

• HH987
    edited January 2021

Thank you so much Sasamat Yes I looked at tech’s face and thought OmG she must be really concerned about my situation! Well it was a relief to know they’re not too concern, so I went to shopping just after I left hospital~

While I was waiting for ultrasound I talked to a nice lady who just finished her diagnostic mammogram (about early 40s and have cysts /family history) and send directly to ultrasound. Both of us can’t believe I have to wait for 2 months for just an ultrasound!

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited January 2021

Your anxiety during and after your ultrasound comes across loud and clear. I hope you've been able to feel better since then even if you're still anxious waiting for results. Please let us know once you hear, ok?

• melissadallas
    edited January 2021

hh987, I'm so glad you are feeling less anxiety due to the reassurance from your referring physician as to no urgency, the technician reassuring you, and speaking to other women who had “okay" results.

• HH987
    edited January 2021

Thanks for all kinds words.

I tried to recall the talk during US today. Is that common that two techs one by one checked the patient?Do you think they might be one tech and one radiologist? I remembered the first tech said nothing to me when she administered exam herself (she took lots of pics of my outer right breast) after finished, she said her “ colleague “will come in and double check. The second tech/radiologist came without introduce and checked over( didn’t take many pics), asked lots of questions.(such as did you find lumps yourself or doc? Did you feel pain?did you feel any abnormal other than your doctor mentioned we can take a look at? )

It is also the second told me they must check carefully every spots my doc mentioned( my doc said several tiny lumps in right) and she didn't see anything too concern. She finished quickly then left. Only the first tech left in the room to explain “you will get your results in 2 days etc. (finally reassured me the same words)

I knowit’s silly but that really was my first US (other than pregnancy US) I really don’t know if the radiologist should be here or tell something.

• melissadallas
    edited January 2021

When I had diagnostic studies, the second person who came in was the radiologist. Sounds like that waa the case with yours. Sounds good that nothing very concerning is seen

• HH987
    edited January 2021

got call from my family doc. He said from ultrasound two lumps he found in left is nothing, one cyst and one fibrodonema in right. Both are really tiny (length,width,height all less than 3mm)and looks like benign so radiologist don’t recommend for biopsy but follow up in six months. The Bi-rads level is 3.

So i think I can back to my normal life at least fonow?

• melissadallas
    edited January 2021

Yes, sounds like it to me! Glad you got good results

• LivinLife
    edited January 2021

So happy for you that results are benign HH987!!! Enjoy now!!!

• HH987
    edited July 2021

Can’t believe 6 months have passed, I just did the follow up today morning. This time the tech looks like so serious( or she just doesn’t want to talk) she only talked to me about 3 times (eg: I will double check the images with radiologist you wait here) the exam only took 10mins no one told me anything and no radiologist showed up. It was just weird and make me nervous again.

• LivinLife
    edited July 2021

Hoping you hear something soon HH!!! It's difficult to know whether to trust our guts reading others during times like this - often not a good thing b/c emotions are higher and we read too much in that isn't there.... I know there are those times our guts are correct though... I hope you get good results when you hear.....