Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation December 2020 group

Options
123457»

Comments

• mama2fourkiddos
    mama2fourkiddos Member Posts: 48
    Options

Ugh, westmar :( Sometimes people just say things they have no right to and make the situation that much worse. Maybe she thought she was trying to be helpful...people can be so clumsy with their words though. I'm very sorry you have so much on your plate right now. Loss is so overwhelming in and of itself and hard enough to function under normal circumstances. I can't imagine having to endure it while going through treatment :( Just a day at a time, one treatment at a time. Only 12 more to go in total...only 4 more to go for this week. Just keep on showing up, getting through those 20 minutes and leaving. I hope today is better for you...hopefully everyone just keeps their thoughts to themselves.

Hugs! - Gabrielle

• Westmar
    Westmar Member Posts: 10
    Options

Well, tack on another day... storm day, I live about 30 mins from hospital, so they called the out-of-Towners to cancel.
    Gabrielle, I guess I just would like a pat on the back from them for actually getting dressed, getting there in 1 piece and showing up in that room.They shouldn’t be concerned about my pharmaceutical intake. 🙄 Regardless of my emotional state, I get it done. Thanks for the encouragement 🙏🏻

• iamloved
    iamloved Member Posts: 197
    Options

Questions for those of you who have finished Rads. I am half way through...9 /19 and have very little redness or fatigue. Did your skin issues come after you completed the treatments? How bad was the skin? Dud fatigue start after treatment...if so how long did it last. And did anyone develop a cough. Not sure if its from rads or just dry air. For some reason today I am worried about the end results.

• mama2fourkiddos
    mama2fourkiddos Member Posts: 48
    Options

Iamloved - my fatigue started probably around treatment 15 of 30. My skin didn't start getting irritated until around then too. Mostly just nipple sensitivity and redness that just kept getting redder. My skin actually didn't crack until after I was done with treatment and it was healing...under my breast and around my nipple. I put neosporin on it and that healed it up in a couple of days. It wasn't fun, but not overly painful, just uncomfortable. My skin is still brown and kind of peeling still...it doesn't hurt at all...I finished on 1/21. I never developed a cough though.

Westmar - I hope last week's treatments went better than last Monday's. I'm sorry to hear you had to miss an appointment due to weather...that's always frustrating. It happened to me also and they tacked a day on the end. How many more to go now?

• Westmar
    Options

8 more... I have 1 nurse and 1 tech that I have made paintings for to give to on my last day. I would NOT have gotten through the last 11 without them. I managed to sneak in questions about what their fav colors are :). Since I had no idea how to emotionally deal with what has happened in the 5 months, someone suggested I start painting. I started the day of my first treatment. I am doing 1 painting for every treatment. I’ll have all these painting with no where to put them. I suppose I give them to people who have been extra kind to me. Pic of my fourth painting. (Kinda stormy)

• Poppy_90
    Poppy_90 Member Posts: 84
    Options

Westmar, you are not only incredibly strong you are extremely talented. I’m so impressed by both. I think of you often and send you all kinds of warm thoughts. I’m glad you’re almost to the end of rads. And I wish you peace...I know it won’t come right away, but I hope that it finds you some day

• iamloved
    Options

Westmar...I would not even pretend to know your pain and struggles. My prayers for your son and you.🙏 Through the integrated health center where I took my chemo I met a gal who does yoga nidra. It sounded a bit out there at first but these guided meditations she does have been life changing for me. The mind is a powerful tool as you know especially your struggle with depression. You could look into it where ever you doctor. If not, I would be happy to share my center's info. I do it over the phone...in the comfort of my home. It's amazing.

• Westmar
    Options

Thank you poppy, very kind of you. Iamloved thank for your advice, I will look into that for my area, I will try anything that doesn’t involves drugs to make me feel better. I’ve decided to take a month off any hospitals/doctors. Time to heal physically and emotionally before I make any decisions.

Well, 6 more treatments and am doing a bit better through the treatment itself. Tomorrow is my 62nd Birthday. It will be awkward... I mean how the heck will I have a “Happy” BDay. Like I’m sure I’ll get “try to have an ok one” I guess. 😬 Looking forward to a 3 day weekend to paint (Provincial Holiday for us on Monday - “Family Day” ugh.

• iamloved
    Options

Westmar...you can always check out YouTube for Yoga Nidra video. You just wouldn't have a personalized session. But you might see if it relaxes you and gives you some peace.🤗

• crsharper
    crsharper Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hello! I'm not sure if anyone still has this thread marked as a favorite so not sure if you will see this or not. I can't believe we are all so far out from our radiation! I'm almost to the year mark of my diagnosis!! I was thinking of all of you and wanted to hop on and say hi!

Hope everyone is adjusting to your new normal whatever that may be. :-)

Christie