Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Seeking DIEP recovery stories

Options

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited September 2022
    Options

I had a nipple origami type reconstruction and tattooing never stays color fades. I was told tattoo doesn't stay well on scar tissue.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited September 2022
    Options

Meow - "origami type reconstruction" how was that done, by just pinching and twisting a piece of the breast and make it look like a nipple? I haven't asked about that yet as I've got some time before that happens. I did meet a local tattoo artist that turned out to be the guy that everyone goes to for nipple tattoos. I've seen his work and he does an amazing job, I'll go to him when the time comes.

• meow13
    edited September 2022
    Options

Yes my PS did it.

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Everyone!

I woke up this morning feeling amazing! I decided to go for a walk and I've already dusted, vacuumed and cleaned my house. The only thing bugging me a bit is the compression binder. I was given the ok on Monday to switch to Spanx (or the likes of) and decided to stick with the binder. I will use Spanx over the weekend when going out dinner to celebrate my son's birthday. I wish I would have felt this way last week; a family member got married last Saturday and there was no way I could go feeling the way I did. I recall reading Trishyla saying early in the year that she was already in heels dancing at the four week mark. I feel like I could.

I decided to drive for the first time yesterday, just down the road from home to get a pedicure, which felt so good. I felt I deserved it and it gave me a sense of normalcy. The driving gave me back my sense of independence.

Per my PS, I've started applying Aquafor to my incisions and on Sunday will begin massaging to break up any fibrous bumps/lumps. I had a difficult time emotionally doing it the first time, but I'm good now. The incisions on my breasts are scabbed over as is most of the abdomen incision, the PS removed some of the scabbing at my appointment. Belly button is completely healed and looks nice, thank goodness. Belly is still swollen, but that's expected and even with that I look decent.

I'm still going to take it easy and not overdo it so as not to regress, but am so happy to feel this way.

• gh11
    gh11 Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Seredipity, thank you for sharing that! It totally encouraged me and lifted my spirits today :). You had your DIEP surgery 3 weeks ago, I think you said, corrrect? I am going in Tuesday next week for my bilateral DIEP flap. So glad to hear you have turned a corner and what you have accomplished at week 4. Hopefully I will recover that well too...haven't danced in heels since my early thirties Smilebut it might be just what the doctor ordered. I have allowed myself to break my regular diet and indulge in Key Lime pie - just to make sure there is enough tummy fat to go round, you know Winking. Appreciate the heads up regarding the binder...good to know in advance that is coming.

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022
    Options

I'm 4 weeks post-op today.

Love Key lime Pie!! I let myself splurge all summer. I traveled monthly to Puerto Rico from April to the beginning of August to see my father and the food over there is just so good. I figured what the heck. I thought I would've gained 20 lbs.; nope only 5 lbs.

I feel a bit more secure in the binder. I haven't tried on the Spanx though. The binder gets a bit uncomfortable since my incision is very low on the bikini line so I'm finding myself puling the binder down to cover it. When the binder rides up, it rubs against it and makes it sore. Again, nothing I can't handle, just a bit annoying. I'll deal with it until my next appointment and then ill switch over to Spanx, which will put me at the six week mar.

You'll be ok and at the three week mark starting to feel better, if not sooner. The first week will be a bit tough, but nothing unmanageable. Be sure to keep your pain managed, that's half the battle, the first few days you may need a narcotic and after that Tylenol. Once it's under control you'll be sore and very tight in the abdomen area. The good thing is that you'll probably have use of your right arm since you already had the breast tissue removed. That makes it a bit easier.

Did they tell you how many drains you'll have?

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    edited September 2022
    Options

that is when I felt pretty good and started doing “stuff “ at 4 weeks. Some drs require binders and some don’t. Mine didn’t. I’ve read a lot about it on the diep Facebook page. Some think it restricts blood flow. No clear answer.The nurses did tell me to wear one for phase 2 liposuction but I hated it so it didn’t last long.

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022
    Options

Jrnj - my PS requires the binder or Spanx/Spanx-type garment. I tried on the ones I had the other day, but did not like the way I looked in what I was wearing I needed the longer shorts version and the ones I had are the shorter ones, plus it kept rolling down, was not worth the frustration. I have an appointment on Monday, hoping she'll let me get away with not wearing the binder anymore. I have a feeling she's going to say another week so that I'm eight weeks out from surgery.

Where did they do the liposuction for stage 2?

Did you need/have any scar revisions?

• jrnj
    edited September 2022
    Options

serendipity09, Liposuction on outer thighs, flanks and abdomen and pubic area. Minor scar revision on outer abdomen scar, belly button(made it worse), and attempted to make my mini footballs into circles, but ended up with smaller footballs, and some side boob reduction. Main goal was to make the radiation side bigger and less flat. Very minimal improvement there. The best part was getting the love handles removed. I asked about inner thighs, they don't like taking if from there because the skin is thinner.

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Jrnj

Did the lipo on the thighs leave your skin saggy or lumpy?

When you say "footballs" do you mean the scars from the flaps? Mine were made round and are the size of a half dollar.

My radiated side is fuller than my other side. Maybe because I'm only a year out from rads? I may need the other side touched up.

Did you breasts stay perky or do they sag as they would have naturally?

Sorry for so many questions.

• jrnj
    edited October 2022
    Options

serendipity09, no problem, hope I can help. It was lumpy for a few weeks while recovering, now it's fine. No skin sagging from lipo. I wanted him to do my butt, but he said that would sag, lol. Yes, small football flaps. I didn't know they could do circles until I joined the DIEP Facebook site. There are tons of pictures on that site. I like it, but it's depressing seeing all the results that are better than mine. Sounds like you had a good surgeon, circle scars and radiated side bigger to compensate for radiation. Considering I had giant saggy DD before, they are somewhat perky Bs, but the non-cancer side sags a bit more, and the flap is concave, the radiated side is pretty firm, smaller than the other, and very FLAT, which is super annoying.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2022
    Options

How did you all sleep? Not as in "well". I mean physically. After uni mastectomy, I used a wedge and made sort of a nest of pillows to keep me on my back. It worked, but I did slid down often and had to wriggle my way up with the help of one arm and my abs! I'm so afraid of not being able to sit up! Do I need to get rid of my kids (or at least their stuff) and make room for a recliner? (Actually. I don't have room for that unless I got rid of the bed) How did you get up from bed early on? And, sorry for being indelicate, how do you get to, on and off, and cleaned up from the toilet in the early days home? Would a tall seat over the toilet help?

I know on the old site there were some lists for preparing for surgery. I can't find them now.

• serendipity09
    edited October 2022
    Options

Dancemom - I have an adjustable bed that goes up at the head and feet, but I too, would slide down and get uncomfortable. I'm a side sleeper so I'd put pillows around me to prevent from trying to turn over. As far as getting out of bed I learned from when I had my BMX how to roll with my legs, sometimes it took a couple of tries if I was alone. I always made sure to sleep one side of the bed versus the middle so I'd be closer to the edge I could use my legs to "grab" the edge and assist. It really would've been easier had I had a sturdy recliner, not a cushy one. A friend of mine was going to sell me his lifting recliner right before surgery, but the surgeons talked me out of it indicating that they wanted me use my muscles. They felt the recliner would make me lazy and I think that they were right. I'm glad I did not buy it then. Again, this is just me.

I thought going to the bathroom was going to be problematic. The first time I got out of the hospital bed, the day after surgery, it was to go to the bathroom (that is once they removed the foley.) It wasn't bad, it just feels odd as your abdomen is super tight. Getting up from the toilet was not an issue for me either. Wiping was ok too, a bit stiff, but really no big deal. I had a delayed DIEP so my arms were able to be used, but I had my BMX two years ago I didn't have any problems with wiping, you just need to be careful.

My best advice, given by Trishyla previously in this thread, is start learning to use your legs/thigh muscles now as much as possible

When is your surgery?

• gh11
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi Ladies, had my DIEP on Wednesday and today is now Sunday, day 5. I spent two nights in the hospital. For two days, nurses come in every hour to check on you, which I was grateful for. Some people don't like the intrusion every hour, but I felt well taken care of and in good hands. Definitely used my thighs to stand - had use of both arms to wipe when taking a tinkle since the beginning so that was not an issue. I asked for stronger meds when they wanted me up and walking the day after, and took full advantage of the nurses to get walking. It feels like a bad dream but today I am sitting up in my bed drinking tea and I feel like it is a turning point. Tummy is tight - boobies look swollen and the same size and shape and quite a few degrees north of the 68 models :) so it looks good. One day at a time, literally one hour at a time and you get through it. Took pain meds religiously when given. Took all the help I could get from the nurses - amazing group of people!

• serendipity09
    edited October 2022
    Options

Can anyone please share when you stopped wearing the surgical bra? What type of bra did you transition to? Or did any of you just not wear one?

gh11 - so happy to hear that you are now past surgery and recovering. I hope that it all continues to go smoothly.

• gh11
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks for the good wishes Serendipity. I hope you are doing well too, and getting stronger every day. I get my last drain out tomorrow and should be able to return to work on the 17th, a few days half day then back to full time. Could only do it because I work from home at a computer - still can't stand up straight after 2 weeks but so far so good. I did not expect the scar on my tummy to be that wide but it is lower on my abdomen and will not be not visible when wearing underwear or a swimsuit so I can live with it. I am amazed at how flat my tummy is - I love it!

Like you, I am curious as to what bra's people found worked for them. I will keep an eye on the post to see if anyone further along in their journey shares their new bra experience...take care :)

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi There!

Oh! That surgical bra is the worst! I had delayed single Diep 11/20 (SMX with expander placement 8/19. Diep delayed soooo long due to COVID). When I left the hospital, I was told to keep the surgical bra on 24/7 until I saw my PS (approximately 3 days later I think). I was in tears in that thing. When I went to the PS, His Nurse ripped it off me and was really mad that the hospital told me that. She was upset that I was so uncomfortable. She told me to go get cheap sports bras that were more comfortable. After my SMX, I found front closure, cotton, Fruit of the Loom bras and that's what I wore after diep. Not that is matters (because we need what we need), but they are also cheap. They come in a pack of two or three and they are easy to get on and off. I think I wore them 24/7 for a while after diep. I'm sure you can find them on Amazon or even Walmart or Target on line.

Hope it helps!

Lauren

• gh11
    edited October 2022
    Options

Thanks Lauren. Sorry to hear of your misery with a surgical bra :( I have yet to be given one, or see one, as no doctor or nurse anywhere has told me to wear one ever. However, my first mastectomy on the right side I had tissue expanders put in and was placed in a binder straight after surgery - the next morning when the PS did his rounds at the hospital he was also annoyed to see the binder and took it off immediately. As with you, a disconnect with the nurses and the doctors.

How long did you wear the soft fruit of the loom sports bra's and have you tried underwire or push up bra's? Did you notice a huge difference in your breast after 6 months and need a whole new set of bra's?

• meow13
    edited October 2022
    Options

I never had a surgical bra, just camisole for a while.

• serendipity09
    edited October 2022
    Options

Gh - so glad you are recovering? How's the pain? Or is it just soreness/tightness? I started straightening out at week three. I'm not wearing my compression binder for most of the day and find that without it I'm a bit bent as my belly feels tight. I think it's become a security blanket of sorts for me. I am able to go on walks now with no problems and I do use it to sleep still. Overall, I'm feeling very good.

My scar is very low as well and will be hidden with a bikini.

I was terrified when I first saw my belly button after surgery, but now that it's healed it looks really good and almost like my old one, which I'm happy about as my belly button was cute lol.

After BMX I bought the Fruit of the Looms front closure bras, but they were too short for me digging into the underside of my breast.

My PS told me to start wearing camis, but I'm not used to the girls just yet, even though the implants were bigger and heavier. So odd :)

I've ordered several zip front bras and still struggling with the length as my skin under the breast is still irritated from rads. I decided to try on a Ellen Tracy bra I bought that I never wore when I had my TE's and it's perfect, no zipper in the front, but because my TE's/impants were much bigger than I am now there's plenty of room for the flaps on my breasts to "breathe" and not be squished and they are super soft. I bought several two packs at Sam's and will buy a couple more if they have them today otherwise will wear online. I'm normally a L, but buy XL for the extra room in the cup. I love them and highly recommend them for when your PS gives the ok. Again, it is not a zipper close. I hope some of this helps!

Thanks Meow and Lauren for your feedback!

• serendipity09
    edited October 2022
    Options

Can you share what cream/oil you used for scar abdomen scar?

I've been told by several that they use Mederma. I have both Bio oil and Mederm. Bio oil worked really well on my breast scars and was thinking of trying that, but would like to hear from others.

Thanks!

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hey Serendipity,

I found after SMX with node removal, I was annoyed by bulky seams under my arms (like a toddler with itchy tags). The Fruit of the loom bras even had seams. I probably wore them 24/7 for two or three months after diep. I found a Bali bra (Bali comfort revolution easylite wireless bra) that is really thin with some kind of bonded flat seems that I like. It is basically a glorified bralette, but it works for me at this point. I am noticing (two years out of diep) that my "real" breast (that was reduced during diep surgery) is starting to droop a bit (damn gravity I guess). As for my old bras, have to admit that I threw them all away after SMX. From a mental standpoint, they made me too sad and I wanted to move on. Between SMX and diep, I bought a shaped wireless bra and used a "knitted knocker" over my expander to look more "normal" in clothes at work. After diep I felt so much better in clothes. More like myself.

Lauren

• meow13
    edited October 2022
    Options

Glad everyone is doing well. I had no regrets on the DIEP. My real side and DIEP side look same almost 11 years out both aging the same.

• serendipity09
    edited October 2022
    Options

Lauren - I struggle with anything that rubs under the arm on that side due to lymph nodes taken out. It's so frustrating. Bad enough that it feels like there's a baseball in the armpit, but the awful sensation when something rubs against the skin is cringy. The good thing about having the implants; not having to wear a bra.

I guess this is a question for the PS, but has anyone, after completely healed, forgone wearing a bra after having had a DIEP?

Bali bras are very soft, I forgot about them. Will have to make a run to Kohls and see what they have.

I got rid of all my bras after BMX as everything changed up top. All of them had underwires and I didn't want to risk it with the implants. Now, even with no implants, the skin under my breast and on the ribcage where radiation hit is very irritated, so a bra with an underwire is out of the question.

Meow - that's so good to hear that you are happy with your results 11 years later. Gives me hope!

• serendipity09
    edited November 2022
    Options

Has anyone had small implants placed after DIEP to give your breast(s) fullness?

• NicInTexas
    NicInTexas Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2022
    Options

I am scheduled for that exact procedure in one week (one year after my DIEP). I'll update afterward. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nic

PS ignore the stuff in my signature. It keeps deleting and renewing back to my original diagnosis and removes treatments.

• NicInTexas
    edited November 2022
    Options

I just had follow-up implants and fat grafting surgery 1 year after my BMX and DIEP flap procedure. Note that I couldn't go straight to the implants due to the prior radiation from my original breast cancer.

Things seem fine at the moment - in pain from the fat harvesting (liposuction) locations more that anything else.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about my procedure. Note that I'm only 1 day out right now.

Nic

• serendipity09
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you posting!! So happy you are doing ok. I hope the pain gets better. Couple of questions... where did they take the fat from? Where did they make the incisions for the implants?

• gh11
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Nic, thanks for that info. Can I ask why you waited a year before fat grafts? Also, did you need fullness in your breasts or what problem was the fat grafting supposed to fix? My PS said if it doesn't work, you end up with little hard lumps in your breast. plse let me know how it goes: wish you a speedy recovery 🙂. Thx

• NicInTexas
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi there serendipity.

Regarding where the took the fat from, he decided on the day of surgery. For me, it was flanks and inner thighs. It hurts - but not unbearable.

The implant incisions were short arcs in the crease below my breast. I just took off the gauze, and they are in great shape.

Nic