Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

February 2021 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• arb95f
    arb95f Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello! Day 2 here after my bilateral reduction with lumpectomy and SNB. Surgery went well and based on my first look at my new boobs, it looks like I will be closer to a C than D when I am healed (started off as a G/H). So overall really pleased. The SNB took 3 lymph nodes and overall the surgeon said it was a normal procedure - it was my first surgery of any sort! The staff at UCSF were amazing and I felt very well taken care of. Big thing of the day is that I am really sore, but no spiky pain like I had the first night

Some interesting things so far:

- Colase is definitely your friend; I was able to poop this morning and have been feeling much better since

- Might be specific to the reduction, but I’ve had a very sore back since yesterday; nurse said this is normal because my muscles need to adjust

- I’ve been holding on to a bit of water after the surgery in my stomach; it’s going down though the more I hydrate

- My drains were removed before I left the hospital

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi arb95f

Glad that you are doing great your 2nd day after surgery. You are lucky that you were sent home without drains :)). I still have my 2 drains, can't wait until they take them out next week. I can't wait to wash my hair too. :))

I still have some mild pain, tightness, but able to do some very light exercise to keep my affected arm from stiffness, swelling.

I was able to sleep ok first couple nights after surgery, but last night I started to worry about what will be in post-surgery pathology report. Oh well, one step at a time, or at least today, try to distract myself with Super Bowls.

Wish you the very best, and easy recovery.

• Aviphotos
    Aviphotos Member Posts: 2
    Options

My lumpectomy and bilateral reduction/lift is scheduled for Wednesday morning (2/10). On my way now to get clips placed. Diagnosed 11/23/20 with Stage II ILC 1.6 cm in left breast.

• tntnsd
    Options

I got a call from my surgeon office’s nurse today to give me the final pathology report of my surgery last week. It remains DCIS, no invasive found, negative sentinel lymph nodes (0/3), clear margins 4mm. I was in happy tears after the calls. So relieved. I will see my surgeon for post op appointment this week and also my medical oncologist for treatment plan (ER positive), but this is the best possible outcome that I can hope for. Huge burden has been lifted...

I sincerely wish and pray the same positive result for all of us on this path. Hang in there

• Danavice
    Danavice Member Posts: 12
    Options

tntnsd: that is wonderful news!!!

• annlat
    annlat Member Posts: 25
    Options

My lumpectomy and SNB was done last Wednesday. It was a long day and I was nervous until it was done. But all in all, I was expecting it to be much worse. My wonderful sister has been helping me and keeping me calm. I only took pain meds the first couple of nights. I got a call from the surgeon's office yesterday with good news....clear margins on the removed tumor and no lymph node involvement! This is what I was hoping/praying for. I feel like a weight has been lifted!. I have my post-op appt next week and he will go over my pathology report in detail, but he wanted my nurse navigator to let me know the good news. I still have radiation therapy and hormone therapy in the future, but I know I will get through whatever.

I am praying for all of you through this stressful time. The waiting for answers is the worst part! Hang in there! We can do this!

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Danavice,

I hope you have a smooth recovery now too, and (will ) have good news with your pathology report .

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi annlat,

I am genuinely happy to hear that you doing well recovery from lumpectomy and got the news you hoped/prayed for with your pathology report. I know the feeling:)).

Best wishes to you and all on the road ahead. We can do this

• deniseml
    deniseml Member Posts: 68
    Options

very, very happy for you! Such a relief to hear good news in the midst of all that's happening and treatment!

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Aviphotos,

I wish you the best on your surgery tomorrow. Sending positive vibes your way ..

• tntnsd
    Options

Thank you DeniseML, let hope more good news to many of us who face this ...

Best wishes !

• Danavice
    Options

I had my drains out on Sunday! That was the strangest sensation... But man, did that first shower feel amazing! Still waiting for my pathology report, but I have seen the post-surgery specimen radiology report, so am somewhat prepared for it. But I am so encouraged by everyone's good news so far, that I am feeling super positive!

The nurse took off my bandages when she removed the drains. I am very satisfied with my surgeon's work. I have opted for aesthetic flat closure, so am adjusting to what my body looks like now. A few tears but absolutely no regrets on the decision. The choice of reconstruction or AFC is such a personal one, it feels like the only thing I've had control over.

Have really released a lot of emotion. I found I held it together throughout the two months of diagnostics and decision-making regarding treatment and surgery options, and never cried once or even let myself feel scared. But the sheer relief and reality of getting on the other side of surgery just broke the levee.

I hope everyone who's been through surgery so far is faring well and that everyone on deck has a smooth operation!

• tntnsd
    Options

I had my post op appointment today. My doctor went over the pathology report, and was very happy for me with the outcome (pure DCIS 6cm, clear margin, clear nodes). She removed the first drain; I will need to come back next week to remove the other drain. It was weird when it was removed; and I saw where my breast was gone once the surgical bras off. It is not painful. Just a bit of tingling, tightness.

I hold it together well during the appointment, but I was crying a bit on the way home with my husband. Well, he knew I was gonna cry and expect I would cry a few more time like I did when we were alone last few months. I guess I t is ok to cry for what once was part of you and now lost. But I will remind myself that I made the best choice to treat this, to stay healthy and enjoy to the fullest with my family.

It might take me a while to get used to the feeling of being lopsided; but I know I will be ok.

I hope all of us will be strong and alright throughout this challenge. xoxo

• annlat
    Options

Tntnsd....I am glad your appointment went well and the doctor is happy with the outcome! And tears are a natural response to anything as serious as this. I don't cry often, but this is scary. I'm so glad you got good news. My post op appointment is next week and my surgeon will go over the pathology report then. But I'm glad he had my nurse navigator let me know the early good news of clear margins and nodes. I am feeling optimistic about my treatment and the future.

We all need to keep saying "I am stronger than this!" Hug

• arb95f
    arb95f Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello! I got the pathology report back yesterday after surgery on 2/2 and super amazing news - no cancer at all in all 6 lymph nodes they took and they got great margins because I went with the reduction. I’m very glad to have done that now because they spotted abnormal growth (ALH) in my other breast as well from the removed tissue.

11 days since surgery, everything is healing up well and my strength is returning every day - actually did my 1.2 mile regular walk three times this week.

I am just feeling super grateful and relieved. I have all of my radiation prep appointments starting in a couple of weeks as well as PT for the lymph node removal.

Three self-help things that have really helped me through this - one is the Guided Imagery from UCSF that they have on their site specifically for surgery, second is taking Arnica tablets after to help with swelling (my bruising and swelling have gone down significantly in the last 48 hours) and third was getting a couple weeks of Daily Harvest shakes to help me get the right dose of fiber and protein in a super easy to prepare package.

Sending much love to all of you who are on this journey

• farmgirl888
    farmgirl888 Member Posts: 14
    Options

That's great news arb95f! This week I begin my pre-op at UCSF, with surgery on the 22nd. I pray to have as great of an outcome as you!

• Danavice
    Options

arb95f - that is fabulous news!!!! I hope you celebrate this weekend, you earned it!

Thank you for your tips, too. Most my swelling is down, but I think I am going to get some arnica this afternoon after seeing your post!

I have been taking cbd oil, it really helps at night as I am not a back sleeper at all.

• tntnsd
    Options

arb95f - Super duper happy that you got great pathology report. I will follow your footsteps to slowly resume my walking/light hiking next week. Used to do about 5 miles / day, 6 times a week prior dealing with this. I missed that so much last few weeks

farmgirl888 - Best wish in your surgery. I will be thinking and praying for you to have great result as well. Stay positive and strong.

• hahlyn
    hahlyn Member Posts: 128
    Options

Hello

I recently had a left mastectomy for recurrent breast cancer. No recon just flat. My surgery was on Friday Feb 12. During the surgery I was given a patch for nausea and a nerve block. I haven't taken one pain pill. Could the nerve block still be working? I do experience discomfort, never knew how much you use your stomach muscles until you have to get out of bed or from the sofa.

My question is for those that had the nerve block how long did it last? And when did you remove your bandages? I'm scared to do so. The nurse said I can remove in 24 hours which would have been yesterday Feb 13. Plus I still have the drain. I was so out of it after the surgery I just couldn't comprehend what was being said. My husband (bless his heart) only remembers the doctor saying don't take pain pills unless I'm in pain due to nerve block..I'm just so confused.

Thanks.

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Hahlyn,

Wish that I can answer about the nerve block; as I don’t know if I had that with my mastectomy. The nurse told me I should feel very minimal pain as they released home, but should expect soreness, some pain, and discomfort in mastectomy site and underarm the following days. My doctor prescribed pain killer medication, but I only need the otc Tylenol extra strength to manage it. Can you call your doctor/nurse to get it clarified ?

I did not remove my surgical bras, dressings until post op appointment (one week later)
    Hope you are healing well.

• hahlyn
    Options

Thanks tntnsd!

I'm going to leave the compression bra they put me in after surgery on until my follow up. However my follow up isn't until March 8,,😳. Being honest I believe this bra is what is helping me not have a lot of pain. I'm afraid when it does come off the pain is going to hit me like a truck. Praying for the best.

• tntnsd
    Options

I saw my breast surgeon's nurse today to remove the remaining drain and also the bandage. Surprisingly it wasn't painful at all. She asked me to breathe in, hold my breath while she removed the drain. She put some rubbing alcohol to loosen the bandage area a bit before gently taking it off. Anyhow, I saw my scar the first time; true- I would rather it wasn't a scar or flat there; but it isn't that bad now as I imagined. The nurse kept assuring me that it is a good result, scar heal nicely and if I ever want reconstruction, I can always have that option....I feel quite upbeat to hear that.

Anyhow, I was thinking about our group on the way home; and hope that everyone of us is healing well from our surgery.

xoxo

• annlat
    Options

I had my first post-op appt this week. My surgeon is very pleased with everything so far. And I like that he drew a smiley face on my pathology report! The tumor was 1.5cm, negative margins, negative nodes. They are sending my tissue sample for an oncotype test, so now that's another 2 weeks of the unknown, but I'm ok with whatever. It just took me a while for it all to sink in. The surgeon says there is a 75% chance that I won't need chemo, so that's what I'm hoping for, and I will know soon. I see my med. oncologist for the first time in 2 wks. I am sending hugs and healing thoughts to all of our Feb surgery group....as well as everyone else!

• abbyrhodes3
    abbyrhodes3 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Had my lumpectomy and SNB on 2/17. I lucked out, in that we had a snowstorm the day before surgery and more cruddy weather the day after- so I really threaded the needle on getting in there on my scheduled day. It's 2.5 hour round trip to my breast care center (at best), and you don't want to have to drive it on a bad one. The joys of getting health care during covid...in the winter... it's a lot.

Waiting on the pathology report, now. I'm trying to take it as a good sign that they only took one node. Didn't see or talk with my surgeon afterward- my sense is she doesn't want to give patients hope or reason for pessimism only to be proven wrong by the pathology report. Can't really blame her.

The hardest part of surgery day was them having to put me in the mammogram machine to find my tumor marker and place a long needle all the way to the site. Even with lidocaine, that was a very uncomfortable half hour. Only a 3-4 of 10 on the pain scale, but something I hope not to have to do again. The shot with the nuclear medicine for the SNB was absolutely nothing by comparison- not sure i'd even give it a 2 of 10, and I'd heard all kinds of horrible things about it being miserably painful. So... lesson learned again: Don't worry about things that might never come to be a problem.

I'm amazed that I feel as well as I do post-surgery! A bit of itching today on day four, but no pain to talk about. I've barely taken any Tylenol at home, and the handful of stronger pain pills they sent me home with will not get used at all. I am wearing the compression bra, but thinking of going w/o today - kind of tired of it, though I can tell it has been of help.

Congrats to those who have gotten good news back from their reports- and good luck to us all!

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Abby

Glad that you were lucked out with the weather to have your surgery. I hope the drainages didn’t give you much discomfort, wish you are healing well, and the report will be what you are hoping all along.

(I kept my surgical bras on until post op appointment. I felt so much relieved when doctor removed that and my first drain. )

• hahlyn
    Options

Glad to hear everyone is doing well for the most part. I am going in to have my drain removed tomorrow. My surgery for left mastectomy was Feb 12. I'll be honest I'm afraid to have them pull it out. I'm wondering if I should take a couple tylenols beforehand. Glad it's going to be removed and also will be happy to remove this compression bra finally!

Have a good day ladies and continues speedy recovery

Hahlyn

• Carpe-Diem
    Carpe-Diem Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hahlyn

I had two drains taken out from the side of my chest a few weeks ago. There is a moment where it feels as though it snags and then it is OUT. The pain took all about a minute to absorb. I didn’t take any pain killers or over OTC meds. After that you feel so good not to have the drain attached to you. Good luck and don’t over think it.

• abbyrhodes3
    abbyrhodes3 Member Posts: 30
    Options

I'm relieved and excited to have good news from my surgeon, today: the pathology report found NO cancer in my breast, so I had a complete response to chemo. The one node taken was clean- so it did not go anywhere, either.

I really didn't dare hope for that! I still have to tackle radiation and 6 more months of Herceptin- but I'm going into it with a much lighter heart, and I'm taking the rest of this week off from worrying about anything! :)

Hope everyone awaiting results gets great news, too!

• tntnsd
    Options

So happy for your good news on your pathology report Abby. Hope you are healing well too

Today is 3 weeks from my mastectomy surgery. I am feeling more and more stronger each day. I am able to walk/light hike 4-5 miles/day last 3 days. I will partly come back to work for 4 hours/day next 3 days staring tomorrow, and probably resume full time next week. I have a desk job, and working from home, so i think it is doable. Will also start on Tamoxifen in March. I hope I will tolerate it well with minimal side effects

• Lola2430
    Lola2430 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I also had a lumpectomy and SNB on 2/17 - my birthday. It was a gift to myself, is how I look at it. I have been anxiously awaiting the pathology results but nothing yet. The recovery has been OK, other than breaking out into an itchy rash all over my stomach and neck. My challenge is to stop looking up stats and do other research on the internet - I do it all the time and get ahead of myself when I don't have all my own data yet. Good to read so many other stories of others going through the same thing.