Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo February 2021

Options

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey AC602. I'm glad your treatment went smoothly. Now that we have #1 under our belts we know what to expect. I am still feeling pretty good; no nausea or headache or anything. Food does taste a little off but my appetite is still good. I notice that my face seems a little swollen and I suppose that's from the steroid.

Is your treatment Taxol, AC, or something else? I'm glad I got to start with Taxol so I can ease into it before facing the "red devil."

Hope you continue to feel OK this week; keep us updated.

• CAWR
    CAWR Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi all. AB45, I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it. We'll be thinking about you.

Like LW422, my first two days were ok. Day of chemo (tues) and yesterday I felt tired but generally fine, likely because of the dexamethasone jack up. Sleeping was poor mon and tues nights, probably because of dex and pesky night sweats (started a couple of months ago, just for a few days each month). No real nausea and while I'm not terribly hungry, food still tastes normal.

Last night I slept terribly and did have some bone pain (got neulasta yest) that woke me up. So I'm tired today (day 3), still have joint pain and a weird occasional shooting pain where the onboard thing was on my stomach. Wicked heartburn because I'm taking alleve to address joint pain (pepcid isn't cutting it yet - but this reaction is normal for me when I take advil or alleve). I also have a sore throat.

That is my summary of today's fun!

• mslo100
    mslo100 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2021
    Options

I had my first TCHP on Monday. The infusion took over 7 hours but I was prepared for it to last that long So far, the only side effects have been insomnia and loss of taste. I'm only 3 days out from this first chemoand wondering if I dodged a bullet this time or should I expect more side effects in the next few days.

• mslo100
    mslo100 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2021
    Options

My first TCHP chemo was Monday. I was anxious, but the nurses were great! So far, my side effects have been insomnia and a loss of taste.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hello MSLO100--wow, 7 hours. That sounds like a really long time but I'm glad it went well for you. I've also had no significant SEs, thank goodness.

• JN5000
    JN5000 Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi CAWR.

I'm glad you're done with one!! Congratulations! I wish it were easier. I'm wondering if your docs have suggested you try Claritin for bone pain. I've read on a few other posts that it helps. I don't mean to make suggestions -- just wondering about ways to address it. I hope you get better sleep tonight!!!

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2021
    Options

Update for Ac Chemo Regimen, chemo was Wed, today is Friday. Definitely take clartin for bone pain, if you get neulsta shot, Ac chemo for me today is extreme fatigue, headaches, heartburn and light naseau. Hoping to see the light soon, this first chemo kicked my butt!!! The best advice I got was drink, drink, drink!!! No matter how bad u feel, keep drinking

• CAWR
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi all. Hope everyone is hanging in there. JN5000 and AB45 - yep, claritin was/is part of my neulasta arsenal, I forgot to mention it. I switched to tylenol instead of alleve and the heartburn is much better. I'll take the ache over heartburn anyday! I'm feeling better today, but perhaps I'm just more used to the laundry list that afflicts us? I was able to go for a slow walk today and zoom-meet with one of my graduate students. I'm pretty darn proud of those accomplishments and now I'm back to my (new) usual resting position.

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

I have had a fairly easy week; today was day 4 and I felt a little weak and dizzy after dinner. I had to lie down for a little while and checked my blood pressure; it was low which concerned me a little. I guzzled a bunch of water (my new hobby) and now I feel OK. I read that Taxol can cause BP readings to go all over the place, up and down.

Hope everyone is doing OK.

• ab45
    edited February 2021
    Options

LW422, Do you have to start AC after taxol or just taxol and you are done? I start taxol after Ac, I hear taxol may be a little easier than Ac, I sure hope so!! Ac has kicked my butt the first round, I dread thinking about any more Ac treatments after this one, they are cumulative so the MO expects them 2 get worse, guess I am wishing and hoping this will not be the case

Hope all is well for everyone going through your chemo recovery!! This is tough

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

AB45--yes, I will have AC after 12 weeks of Taxol. I have also heard that AC is worse, so I dread it. Hope you are feeling OK.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited February 2021
    Options

My chemo was almost 10 years ago and I don't know if my particular recipe is given much anymore. I was given the choice of AC+T or TAC, and I told them I wanted it over with as quickly as possible, so it was six rounds of TAC. I was one of the extremely lucky ones who tolerated chemo very well. Every round I had a couple of days (days 3 and 4 after chemo day) when I felt foggy and a little achy and tired. Chemo was always on Wednesday, and I always took Thursday off just to ride my bike and play. Friday and Saturday were foggy days, Sunday it was lifting, and I was back to work on Monday.

I had no problem working full time during chemo, but I wasn't working long shifts with the public anymore, just administrative. I found that if I had a bike ride every day, however gentle or brief, it helped a lot with feeling well. Exercise seems to be key to thriving in chemo.

• ab45
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thanks for sharing sbelizabeth, they did not give me am option, just Ac-Taxol. Ac is 4 rounds @every 2 weeks and then taxol for 4 @every 2 weeks. I am hoping to get to a point of walks and a short exercise but right now it is ice and snow where I am. Chemo was Wed and today is Sunday, finally feeling better ,after days of chemo sickness that is indescribable, I think fluids are key to rush the toxins through, they say chemo is cumulative so it gets worse, all I can do is hope, it does not get much worse, I am extremely thankful for a better day, today, I will take this day in joy!! Any hints on the Ac journey is certainly appreciated because it has kicked my butt!!!!

Wishing more positive vibes to all of you and hoping u get relief and rest

• JN5000
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thinking about you, AB45, hoping the next one is better. You made it through one!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited February 2021
    Options

For me, it was no worse for round #6 than round #1. Everyone's different. I'm glad you're feeling better today!

It was minus 15 degrees here this morning. The only exercise I got was to walk up and down the stairs a couple of times. When I did chemo I lived in California, and weather wasn't much of an issue.

• Jvfireball
    Jvfireball Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi friends, starting Chemo Wednesday and starting to feeling pretty anxious about the unknowns. Just wanted to tell you all thank you!! I appreciate to community and friends I have found on this site.

• ab45
    edited February 2021
    Options

JVfireball, hang in there, everyone is different any maybe u will get lucky and not experience too many awful side effects, which chemo regimen will you be on?

• Jvfireball
    edited February 2021
    Options

AB46

I'm doing TC, was originally going to be AC+P but when the full pathology came back ONCO decided TC was enough.

Thank you for the encouragement.

• CAWR
    edited February 2021
    Options

JN5000 - did you have your first infusion yesterday? How are you?

JvFireball - I wish there was something I could say that would ease anxiety, but it seems to be standard for all of us. I'm glad that you are finding the group helpful.

We'll be checking in with y'all and thinking about each other as we each go through our stages.

• Jvfireball
    edited February 2021
    Options

CAWR...Thank you very much!

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Good luck tomorrow, JVFireball. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks to the winter storm in Houston, my treatment was canceled today and rescheduled for Friday. Looks like my new weekly treatment day will now be Friday instead of Tuesday.

• JN5000
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi all.

I hope everyone on this list is doing okay -- we'll get through it!!

Thinking about you jvFireball! And AB45, I hope you're feeling a better every day.

LW422 -- stay warm! I will be thinking about you on Friday.

CAWR I start AC a week from today. I get the port on Tuesday, the day before. I hope you're doing okay!

• Spalermo111
    Spalermo111 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi! I’m very nee to this journey! My 2nd treatment will be tomorrow. After reading your response, I noticed you said you take alleve for the bone pain, and it’s causing heart burn. I’m taking gel tablets of Claritin, it’s helping with the bone pain, and also not causing heart burn. Just thought I’d pass that forward! Good luck with everything!

• Jvfireball
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi all.....so emotional roller coaster yesterday. I was all prepped and psyched up and lets go get er done. Checked in to the infusion center and got told they just got word from my PS that we wanted me to finish all fills for my expanders before starting Chemo...uuuugggghhh!! Anyway, I have one more appointment next Tuesday with plastics, then I can start chemo on Wednesday the 24th.

Big picture its only a week, it was just the okay, here we go and just kidding....everything happens for a reason...so this will be okay too it was just frustrating.

Praying for all you girls too!

• ab45
    edited February 2021
    Options

JVfireball

That's tough but maybe look at it this way, may have been a good thing, maybe your body needed one more week before chemo, I know easier said than done but sometimes we just have to force ourselves to look at just one positive. This cancer journey is not for the faint of heart, I have chemo the same day as you next time, sending positive vibes

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2021
    Options

Jvfireball - sorry to hear about the last minute delay. A leak was identified in one of my expanders after I had started chemo and they could only fill it right before my chemo (every 2 weeks). I think it was because of concern over infection but honestly I can't remember specifics. Enjoy this extra week and take care of yourself!

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

So MD Anderson canceled all outpatient appointments for the remainder of this week due to the winter storm in Houston, so no chemo this week for me. I'm hoping that missing an entire week of chemo doesn't mess me up, but it couldn't be avoided. Not sure what day I'll be rescheduled next week for chemo #2.

Hope everyone is doing well and not having a difficult time with treatment.

• Jvfireball
    edited February 2021
    Options

AB45 and Maddy83f,

Thank you both for the encouragement.....the extra week must of been needed. Doing better with it...just that day was hard or frustrating...Next Wednesday here we come!

Thanks....Julie

• CAWR
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi all. Soooooo has anyone else started losing their hair? Mine started yesterday. Thin little clumps that come out any time I run my fingers (usually absently) through.

I hope everyone is hanging in there, that schedules get back on track, and prep for and expectations of side effects will be better for the second round (or manageable for the first).

• lw422
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey CAWR. I'm not losing any significant hair yet, but I've only had one Taxol. I had to skip last week due to the stupid weather in Houston shutting down the entire town.

I spoke with my MO today and he said he didn't believe missing a week would have any significant effect on my treatment. My chemo appointment is on Thursday this week instead of Tuesday, so he wants to start "walking them back" to be on Tuesday again. Just when I thought 2020 was the worst year ever, along comes 2021. :yucky: