Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Early Stage IDC - Multiple Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• rollercoaster451
    Options

Hi Jen,

I had a double MX in early Feb and I'm happy with the decision. In my case, the mammograms, ultrasounds, MRI and MRI biopsies did not show the complete picture. Here's my story: no lump, architectural distortion showed up on regular mammogram in November, I had ultrasound biopsy that showed .8 mm of IDC. We were on the road to a lumpectomy. Then the BS ordered an MRI which showed the 8 mm tumor was actually 2.1 cm and more than 2 cm of ADH. The left breast was also biopsied during the MRI and showed only benign fibrocystic changes. We then decided on the MX because the ADH needed to come out and a lumpectomy would have left me sort of disfigured. I decided to do both sides for peace of mind. I'm glad I did. Fast forward to final biopsy. Thankfully the actual IDC was only 1.1 cm but instead of ADH there was 5 cm of DCIS. And, the other breast actually had 2 cm of atypical lobular hyperplasia. I'm happy I had the MX and that I had both sides done. I spoke with two plastic surgeons and I'm really happy with the one i chose. If you choose a MX talk to a few plastic surgeons. I had the tissue expanders placed over the muscle and it's apparently less painful than under the muscle. Good luck!!!!

• JenCanDoThis
    JenCanDoThis Member Posts: 25
    Options

Thank you for your feedback. It's a difficult decision but it's good to hear from success stories. I believe I have a 6cm area of DCIS as well. They are doing more pathology today. I met with the new breast surgeon Friday and I instantly knew that was my place. I just called my first breast surgeon to cancel my next appointment and let them know I was switching doctors. The new surgeon suggested mastectomy or oncoplasty which I had never heard of and had to look it up. He is meeting with his radiologist this morning to look at my "new area" that showed up on MRI to see if that needs to be biopsied/come out. It's been 1 month and a few days since dx and although I'm nervous about surgery, I'm ready to get it done, get final pathology, and find out about lymph nodes. I know you guys all understand that!