Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Vaccine not recommended for some patients

Options
2»

Comments

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    Options

13 years ago (blessed to be alive), I had a very serious reaction to Taxotere. I couldn't breathe, racing heart, my whole head was on fire and they brought in the crash cart and ripped the iv out. Pretty serious. I have never forgotten it although I've tried. Now it's scaring the crap out of me deciding whether any of the three vaccines are safe for me. My oncologist says there's not enough data and if I decide to get the vaccine to get it at a hospital. Not really encouraged by that. Has anyone gotten the vaccine who has had a serious reaction to Taxotere? If so, which one? Any oncologist feedback you can share? I'm starting to think I have a better chance surviving Covid than the vaccine. 😔

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

I did have a serious allergic reaction to taxotere, enough so MO stopped any further chemo, but not as bad as yours. I also was scared to get the vax. Turns out, my reaction was from the polysorbate 80, a preservative in the chemo. This is also in a lot of food we eat.

My limited research said the amount in the vax is very small as compared to IV chemo. But that still didn’t stop the huge butterfly from jumping around my stomach.

I’ve had the first jab of Phizer. Aside from a slightly sore arm, nothing bad happened.

Best wishes to you, it’s hard.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,801
    Options

holtbolt,

I responded to you on the other thread but I wanted to add that it is unlikely that there would be much of a data accumulation on many subsets of people who are being vaccinated. The vaccines are too new and the longitudinal data simply doesn’t exist. Taxotere and the Covid19 vaccine are very different animals . Having had a severe reaction to Taxotere must have been frightening so I can understand your fear. I was vaccinated at a large site (Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA) which I think is the largest vaccination site in CA. Even with large crowds they made sure that everyone waited for 15 minutes before leaving to monitor for adverse reactions. They made it hard to sneak out since the post-vaccination waiting area was also where you made your second appointment. No waiting area, no second appointment.

If it provides any comfort, my friends husband was vaccinated the day before I was. As he sat in the waiting area he told his wife he didn’t feel too well. Even before she could get up to find help, medical staff approached them and immediately took charge of the situation. He turned out to be fine but they did advise him to have his second dose at his medical providers facility, which he will. He does have quite a few food and medications allergies or sensitivities but his doctors have confirmed that nothing that has previously bothered him is in the Covid19 vaccine. His wife thinks that he felt unwell because he had psyched himself into believing he would have a reaction. Whether this is true or not may never be known but having his second vaccine at the hospital should make everyone more comfortable.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,591
    Options

holtbolt, I feel the same way.

Spookiemom, thank you for sharing. While I’m going by CDC and MDA recommendations to hold off for now, it’s good to know that one can have the reaction and still do well with the vaccine. In my case, the reactions were to taxotere and taxol, which used peg and polysorbate 80 and my reaction was severe within like 10 seconds both times, so not much was needed to start the bad stuff.

I hope with a little more time, we’ll discover how to safely tolerate it or get a vaccine without those ingredients.