Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diagnosed today w/ Invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 1.

Options

Comments

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    Options

Cangold:

Sorry to hear of your dx. Third cancer in the future? not sure what you meant by that. You have two separate areas of DCIS and idc if I understand correctly what your saying.

My cancer wasn’t her2 positive. I chose lumpectomy. I’m not large breasted. But even if my cancer were to return I’d choose another lumpectomy. That’s just my choice tho. I’d want to keep my breasts no matter what. But I know others choose mastectomy. And that’s the right choice for them

This decision is very personal to each person. So I don’t think our choices should change your mind. You know what is the best choice for you.

We are here tho for support. So sorry your going through this. Sending a hug to you. The choices I made for myself were not easy for me. But I’m at peace and glad for the decisions I made.
    blessings

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

cangold, I'm sorry that you have another area of cancer. I'm confused though. You mentioned the findings from the MRI and the right breast biopsy. Did you also have a second left breast biopsy that found this second area of DCIS?

The decision between a lumpectomy and mastectomy is such a personal one. We all have different attitudes towards risk and we all define risk differently. What seems to be the best option for one person could be completely contrary to how someone else sees it. And our experiences... here too it is so individual. Some people have an easy time with a lumpectomy + rads and others really struggle with rads. And some people find a MX to be an easy surgery and recovery and are happy with the results, while others have a lot of difficulty, require revisions and have long-term problems. Unfortunately with both options there is no way to predict how easy, or difficult, it will be for you.

Years ago I put together a list of considerations for making the choice between a lumpectomy + rads vs. a unilateral mastectomy vs. a bilateral mastectomy. The idea is not to lead you in any one direction or tell you what I did based on my own preferences, but to help you decide what's best for you, based on how you think and feel. Maybe it will be helpful to you:

Topic: Considerations: Lumpectomy w/Rads vs. UMX vs. BMX

Good luck with your decision!

• cangold
    cangold Member Posts: 35
    Options

Thanks for responding Bessie, & Jons_girl,

from Bessie: I'm sorry that you have another area of cancer. I'm confused though. You mentioned the findings from the MRI and the right breast biopsy. Did you also have a second left breast biopsy that found this second area of DCIS? Yes, this is correct, so in my L breast I have IDC , DCIS & 3rd cell is Atypia concordant, which can turn into cancer in the future. I'm feeling relieved that all tests are done, and I'll have a week to do my research.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    Options

That is a lot to digest cangold! Wow! At the end of the day what type of surgery will allow you to sleep at night? It shouldn't be a decision out of emotion - not suggesting that - more the importance of you being comfortable with the decision you make... Check out old posts here too on lumpectomy vs. mastectomy while you wait for others to post. Could check out the search box....

• cangold
    Options

I feel at peace right now, because I"m going to have a mastectomy on my L breast on March 8th. Between speaking w/ women whom I know who had surgery, friends, family, my breast cancer surgeon, & of course this website all had really made my decision easier. I'll take this week to relax . thank you

• Beekc
    Beekc Member Posts: 31
    Options

Today, March 6th, I’m new here too. I see you’ll have your surgery soon. One month before I have a mastectomy too, due to the distance between IDC locations in the left breast. I’ve been reading, studying, emotionally trying to stabilize for a month now. I will appreciate your posts about your outcome. My prayers will be with you. Wisdom for my own decisions about the mastectomy surgery are appreciated!

• cangold
    Options

Beekc,

Sounds like we had a similar outcome, with several cancers in Left breast. I definitely will update after my surgery this coming Monday.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

wishing you well on Monday...cangold...

beekc....hang in there...you SHOULD do well. I am 11 years out...all is well...

• cangold
    Options

I had my surgery on Monday mastectomy on my L breast, my BC surgeon saw a small amount of cancer in my lymph nodes so she removed 10 of them. I'll be seeing her a week from today. Today is only my 2nd day after surgery and am feeling pretty good tonight. I slept quite a bit today, and reduced my pain meds. So glad I picked up my mastectomy shirt and pillow, they are life savers for comfort.

• Boxingmama
    Boxingmama Member Posts: 5
    Options

Same here!Just diagnosed and freaked. Had thyroid cancer in 2018. No markers, nothing! Surgery Wednesda

• Beekc
    Beekc Member Posts: 31
    Options

I'm not keeping up here daily, but I'm wondering how you are beginning to feel after your surgery? Certainly my prayers are with you for a quick recovery.

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

cangold I was told by breast surgeon that I had "nice cancer" since easier to treat than a lot. Did The surgeries. Started with lumpectomy to start with and then because of dense tissues had to go get more and another surgery. After round 2 and the dense tissues and more testing and she said it had to go at that point. The final pathology for me was that my tumor was larger than could be seen at first. Had my mastecomy and did 5 years of tamoxifen and 4 and 3/4 years of Femara (they stopped early with me because of bone loss). Still see MO but only at about every 4 to 6 months now and she monitors me.

I had the attitude to do what needed to keep going and tried to do what was least invasive for me. People here are great support as well. Best wishes to you.

• cangold
    Options

bcincolorado, Thanks for your experience, I also have very dense breasts. I'll be seeing my BC surgeon on Wed 3/17, so I'll find out everything and then start the process. I'm recovery pretty good, only thing that hurts are the tubes sometimes pressing against this bra they gave me and it feels like a knife sharp shooting pains ...ouch..

• Boxingmama
    Boxingmama Member Posts: 5
    Options

Just curious if anyone has felt angry about their diagnosis???

beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    Options

Yes, anger is a very common reaction. Perfectly normal.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

hello sweetie im glad your staying Positive thats what help me get thru along with faith family. Was planning our secind marriages when found lump in shower. Was 42 at diagnosis and met the man of my prayers. Positive thoughts and Hope along with my Fiance at time now husband. Hang in there. msphil idc stage2 3mo chemo before and after Lmast got married then 7wks rads and 5yrs on Tamoxifen. Praise God this is for Inspiration i am this yr a 27 yr Survivor.

• cangold
    Options

Update: Had tubes removed yesterday..yay.. everything on the report are clear,..yay, stitches will come out next wednesday. I'm going to MO on Monday, will get the pill and see what else will happen. This was super quick with all the tests and surgery and now recovery. I'm grateful for that yearly mammogram I took in December 2020, plus an excellent BS surgeon.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    Options

Good for you cangold! Sounds like you are on the mend and with strong hope in your heart! I hope all continues going as good for you as your recent post sounds!

• cangold
    Options

Went to MO on Monday & she's running tests to determine if I need chemo or just the pill, I'll know more on 4/5. Went to BC surgeon today, had fluid filled up, so she drained it out, also had stitches removed. I'm feeling fatigue alot lately and reality is kicking in, only been 2 wks & 3 days since surgery. Emotions are running high, I know I can beat this cancer crap.

• JenCanDoThis
    JenCanDoThis Member Posts: 25
    Options

I also got drained today and it's already filling back up. I didn't have drains after lumpectomy /reduction. I guess it's been slowly filling up since surgery on the 9th. Everything I'm reading about seromas says the fluid is yellow or clear. Mine was reddish. Do you happen to know the color of your fluid?

• mama2fourkiddos
    mama2fourkiddos Member Posts: 48
    Options

JenCanDoThis - mine was a reddish brown too. My surgeon said it was because of what these use inside during surgery to sterilize...iodine maybe, she didn't tell me exactly what. The next time they drained me it was a bit more yellow, so that made sense.

• JenCanDoThis
    JenCanDoThis Member Posts: 25
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I think I need more info/guidance from my surgeon's office. I have a call in to them.

• cangold
    Options

Mine was pinkish from drainage from Wednesday. In last 2 days it’s not filling up, thank God. I’ll be seeing my surgeon on Wednesday of next week

• cangold
    Options

Update: Saw BC surgeon yesterday, I'm still filling w/ fluid 50cc today so she's been draining it. Have to be super un-active this week. I saw my MO today and my onotype DX score came back super low..yay NO Chemo, but will be on the pill Arimidex. Will be seeing radiologist next week and PT today.

beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    Options

cangold,

Yay! to a low Oncotype score! That's great news!

• cangold
    Options

Saw radiologist and he recommends radiology because of the 2 small cancers in my lymph nodes. Without 15-20 % recurrence whereas with 5-10% with. It'll be 25 treatments at 10 mins each M-F for 4 or 5 weeks. I'll be doing it.

• cangold
    Options

I'll be starting radiation IMRT this Monday 5/17I'll update my progress.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

hello sweetie so glad you found this site we are like family here going thru or like me been there. So we are here for you and let me tell u a little bout me. I found my lump in shower was planning our 2nd marriage had biopsy diagnosed IDC stage 0/3 nodes 3 mo chemo before and after Lmast then got married and 7wks rads and on tamoxifen 5yrs. Sweetie Praise God with Hope and cry off and on then Positivity family Imma now a 27yr Survivor was 42 at diagnosis. Hang in there we re here fir you. msphil

• cangold
    Options

msphil, Thank you for your kind words, I have felt very blessed thru out this whole process. Excellent medical Dr's and of course family & friends & this board has been a Godsend.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    Options

Posting in case anyone is interested:

TODAY:
    Come talk with others just receiving a breast cancer diagnosis in a relaxing, confidential and supportive virtual environment.

May 10, 2021 12:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwoc-ugr...

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.