Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kisqali Exemestane

guin8
guin8 Member Posts: 9

Hello,

Anyone on a Kisqali and exemestane combo? I'm just finishing my first cycle--after 8 rounds of paclitaxel was getting to be too much for me, my onco and I decided to try this oral chemo. Noticing my hair thinning, which is extra upsetting as I cold-capped with the paclitaxel expressly because I did not want to lose hair a third time.

Thank you

Comments

• rsparks72
    rsparks72 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2023

guin8 - I am starting on Kisqali Exemestane this week, Newly diagnosed with MBC. How is this going for you? Very nervous about side effects

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 285
    edited January 2023

I am on Kisqali/Fulvestrant, but close enough to your treatment that I thought my experience might be helpful. I have just finished my 6th round of treatment. I was diagnosed metastatic in May, 2022, but the Kisqali was delayed until August so that my bone only mets could be treated with cyberknife.

I was initially started on 600mg of Kisqali, but had severe GI issues and was reduced to 400mg. The lower dose also caused GI issues, although not as severe, and I persevered for a few months and now have mild GI issues. I did notice hair thinning for the first 4 cycles or so, but that seems to have slowed, maybe even stopped.

Not sure of the side effects of Fulvestrant as compared to exemestane or why an MO would choose one over the other. My MO did tell me that when my current combo fails, the next one up is everolimus/exemestane.

I also take Xgeva to prevent bone loss. I do have frequent bone/muscle/joint aches, but I don't know which of my medicines is contributing to that, or if it's just the arthritis I have developed at the age of 72.

Despite the side effects, I still ride a stationery bike for 45 minutes 5 days a week and try to take several long walks each week. I am determined to do as much as I can for as long as I can, but only time will tell.

I wish both of you an easy experience as you move forward.

Eleanora

• rsparks72
    rsparks72 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2023

Eleanora- thank you for your response. I worry about the GI issues as I am a long time sufferer of IBS. I had an integrative doctor suggest I work on my gut health, that sounds like it will be beneficial. I have Mets to bones, lungs, skin and adrenal glands and have had bone pain already as well as a persistent cough. Before I was diagnosed and working on the cough I was taking it easy from any exercise trying to heal my lungs, I will need to jump back on that. I have heard that it helps with just about everything and it looks like you have a good routine