Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo March 2021

Options

Comments

• kipepeo
    kipepeo Member Posts: 70
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi Susancane. I think all of us in the March start date have not finished yet. A couple have one more to go, TC, and a few have several AC, T. I think most have handled it well all things considered. There are a few that had some side effects, some urgent care/ER/hospitalizations, but nothing long lasting that I'm aware of.

I'll tell you one thing, chemo can bring out or worsen underlying health issues you already have. It's a blessing and curse. Just know that chemo is not easy, and no doctor should make you think otherwise. They are there to help mitigate symptoms and help you be as comfortable as possible.

For me personally, I was scared of nausea and vomiting, which I've had none. I'm also afraid of long term side effects and issues, but that is the risk I'm taking to lessen my chances of having more cancer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Carpe-Diem
    Carpe-Diem Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hello SusanCane - Glad to hear the doctors have treated you with surgery and radiation. I second everything Kipepeo said above. Chemo is not easy, but depending on the type of chemo and how much they are giving to you, we all find a way to manage and make it through. This is my second go around with chemo, and it is uncertain whether it will help the type of tumor cells I had or not, but I hope to think it will lessen the chances of recurrence.

Ladies - anyone get swollen glands from TC or Fulphila injection? I had my TC #2 on weds. and my injection on Friday, and my neck area and throat are completely swollen. I have put a call through to the oncologist on call, but just wondering if anyone has had such an experience.

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2021
    Options

does anyone else have sweet taste in their mouth? Everything, even water tastes sweet 🤢

• kipepeo
    edited April 2021
    Options

I think I'm becoming a chemo hypochondriac. Yesterday my husband and I went for a motorcycle ride. I felt great. In fact, my c.diff is under control and I just have 2 more days of treatment for it. When we got home I started making dinner. In the last few minutes of that I suddenly had a sharp pain in my chest that got worse with deep breath. I didn't think a whole lot of it, finished dinner prep.

But it was really hurting. So I started looking up symptoms of pulmonary embolism, since I've had chemo and I just got my first covid vaccine (Moderna) 3 days prior. First symptom of pulmonary embolism...sudden onset of sharp chest pain especially during deep breaths. Oh God.

So after just a short discussion, we called 911, I rode the ambulance to the hospital, first time for me. 2 blood tests, 2 ekgs, a chest x-ray and a CT scan showed nothing cardiovascular, nothing pulmonary - YAY! My bp was a quite high for my in the beginning, but settled down after resting in the ED.

They said it was either indigestion (I hadn't eaten yet), or muscle spasm. I'm going with muscle spasm since that's what it felt like to me, muscles.

So I came home, and I still feel the pain, but not when I breathe deep. I have 2 more chemo treatments ahead of me. Hmm...I wonder what kind of medical marvels are in store for me still.

• aram
    edited April 2021
    Options

Kipepeo, it is great to hear it was not serious

• pchyen
    pchyen Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi Heidi, could it be anxiety induced chest pain? Glad ED ruled out the bad stuff

• Chrystlx
    Chrystlx Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2021
    Options

carpe-diem- I had swollen glands/lymph nodes for a while after round two, during the worst of my head sores. Swollen in side of neck and back of head/neck area for like a week. Hurt to touch. Went away though 😊

Last night, and a bit last week, I've been dealing with a new side effect: muscle pain/aches. Like a dull, constant ache. Sometimes legs. Sometimes arms. Sometimes back. It feels kinda like I worked out real hard, only I did not. Also, the hot flashes have become constant. Boo.

overall though, I'm feeling pretty good this morning as I get ready to head back into work (I take 4 days off each round).

Have a good day everyone!

• GreenOutdoors
    GreenOutdoors Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2021
    Options

Carpe Diem- I get a sore throat each cycle but I haven’t noticed swollen glands along with it. Did it resolve itself?

Chrystal- I could have written your post as I’m heading to work soon and feeling constantly hot, but not in a fun and sexy way! And I’m achy. But overall I really do feel pretty good. One more TC, we got this!

Heidi- So glad the chest pain didn’t turn out to be anything serious. Treatment has so many symptoms I didn’t anticipate.

Aram- I have been eating pickles and coleslaw because I think I can only taste sour stuff right now. I feel like I have no taste buds left, not sure if it’s better or worse than having everything taste sweet?

Wishing everyone a peaceful week,

• Chrystlx
    edited April 2021
    Options

Aram- yes, everything definitely has a weird taste for me. Kinda sweet. Water especially tastes weird b/c it isn’t supposed to have a taste, but does!!

GreenOutdoors - not that I’m glad you’re achy and sore, LOL - but it’s nice to hear from others with similar side effects.

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hello all! Last Friday was the final "Red Devil" treatment! Next up is DD Taxol. I will get 4 of those. My hemoglobin was boosted up to over 10.0 after transfusion, so I feel so much better. Appointment with surgeon this Thursday.

Kipepeo, so glad your episode wasn't serious. You just never know with this chemo. A friend of mine had chest pains (she was working out a lot), Doc told her to eat bananas for potassium. Just a thought.

After I eat, I have a salty taste in my mouth. Back of my neck sore today.

Take care!

• Carpe-Diem
    Carpe-Diem Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hello All -

Chrystix - sounds like you had the swollen glands and neck pain too. Thankfully, it went away after one day. I called the Onco on-call, and he didn't seem too concerned and also recommended Tylenol. The pain in your legs may be from the neupogen injection (Neulasta or Fulphila or similar product) because the creation of the extra white blood cells cause the bone marrow to expand which then in turn cause the pain. Between the Claritin (2 tablets instead of 1) and Tylenol seem to have helped me reduce the pain.

TC#2 is done and over. What I have learned thus far is to over-medicate - I take one Claritin in AM and one in PM, and every 6 hours or so I take Tylenol. I have also taken a very small dosage of Ativan in the PM which has helped me sleep. I also had acupuncture the day after chemo and will have another session tomorrow. Not sure which one or all of them work, but I have been able to minimize the pain and aches I have had after TC#1. Let's hope tomorrow remains uneventful.

The one thing I have not figured out is the weird fuzzy sensation of the tongue and how nothing tastes appetizing. Trying to eat bland but nutritious. I noticed my palate and appetite was better after day #10 so hopefully, it will be the same this go around.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,034
    edited April 2021
    Options

TODAY: In case you are interested, come be with others just starting or in the process of chemotherapy in a relaxing, confidential and supportive virtual environment. Caregivers are welcome. This will be a recurring meeting.

To Register, download the Zoom app and click the link below.

When: Every Tuesday 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting (if you register once you will not need to register for future meetings):

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvc-uurzgvHNyvhpw-l0KPkwjlKN_KbOeC

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

See you then!

• aram
    edited April 2021
    Options

8 days after AC number 3 and I am kind of back to normal. This time it was much better overall except for one day of terrible constipation which was dreadful. I called the nurses and whatever she suggested I was already doing so she said unfortunately it is sometimes the chemo.

I had the results of my breast MRI yesterday which I did after second AC (it was request by my breast surgeon). The radiologist told me the bigger one was 2.5 by 2 by 2 cm on MRI. On ultrasound the bigger one was around 3 cm. I guess I should take it as a good sign, though to tell the truth I was hoping for more shrinkage as I can't find it as easily as before...

• kipepeo
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi all. Relatively quiet here, so I'll take that as we are all just getting through this with no major episodes.

I had typed up a dose 3 note, but my system glitched and it never sent. Anyway, I had TC #3 4 days ago, and it was again reduced by 15% due to my recent c.diff treatment. I had a great 3 days after with virtually no side effects. But day 4, today was expected to turn, and it is not disappointing! I'm very tired and am having some GI issues. I got the Neulasta OnPro again, and I guess I just don't get the intense bone pain others get. I am slightly achy, but nothing major. I still have no nausea and haven't taken any meds other than claritan which is for reflux I already had. Starting to feel chemopox (scalp pimples) forming.

I am convinced there is a serotonin spike on day 3 for me. I was out with friends last night and just felt absolutely great, like on top of the world. I've had this same phenomenon all 3 cycles so far. Chemo drugs do cause gastric cells to release excessive amounts of serotonin, which among many other neurotransmitters is involved in chemo-induced nausea and vomiting. However, too much serotonin can become a syndrome.

This treatment was delayed by a week, and I'll tell you...some head fuzz started coming in, so ladies on TC, it seems hair starts to come back fairly soon.

NatureYogi, glad you got through that nasty stuff. Good luck on the Taxol part.

Aram, how many more treatments will you get before surgery? Does the doc think there is more room for shrinkage still?

• aram
    edited April 2021
    Options

Kipepeo , I am sorry you are having GI issues but it is good to hear you don't get the pain from the shots. I get an intense lower back pain about 7 days after getting the shot, not much fun.

I have 4 AC treatments (1 left), and then 16 weekly TH. Around 6 months of chemo/targeted therapy before I go to surgery.

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi everyone,

Today I went in for my liver MRI. The CT scan I did before stating chemo had shown two minuscle (less than 5 mm each) lesions on the liver. I really hope the result is benign but I don't believe I hear about it for another 10 days till I see my MO...

I hope everybody has had a great weekend.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hello Aram,

I hope your MRI shows complete resolution. Do you have a portal that might show you the results without having to wait 10 days? Or are you able to call your MO to discuss the results over the phone? I’m sorry that you are back in the waiting mode, that is the worse feeling

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

thanks greenoutdoors. We have a patient portal but the test results are only posted after 30 days to ensure first a physician has discussed them with you. So I will need to wait till I see my dr.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,034
    edited May 2021
    Options

TODAY:

Come be with others just starting or in the process of chemotherapy in a relaxing, confidential and supportive virtual environment. This will be a recurring meeting.

To Register, download the Zoom app and click the link below.

When: Every Tuesday 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting (if you register once you will not need to register for future meetings):

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvc-uurzgvHNyvhpw-l0KPkwjlKN_KbOeC

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

See you then!

• GreenOutdoors
    edited May 2021
    Options

Aram, I hope those 10 days go by fast and I hope the red devil took care of them!

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thank you GreenOutdoors. How are you doing? how many treatments do you have left?

• GreenOutdoors
    edited May 2021
    Options

Aram, only one more TC, I’m so excited to be done with that part of treatment! And I feel pretty good, ready to get knocked down one more time. Are you done with the red devil part of your chemo

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

I have one more AC next week. Then on to Taxol/Herceotin.

That is great to hear. I see you are HER2-, and had your surgery already. So I think that is it for you? One more and done! :)

• GreenOutdoors
    edited May 2021
    Options

that’s correct, no more chemo! I can't wait for my hair to start growing! Moving on to radiation treatment next. Hopefully the next part of your chemo will be a little more tolerable and you can schedule surgery somewhat soo

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

Good luck with radiation! My nurse told me radiation is like a walk in the park in comparison to chemo! Hopefully it is going to be like that for you. And I hope the hair comes back soon! :)

• Chrystlx
    edited May 2021
    Options

Finished my last chemo yesterday!! Now just gotta get through this next week.

Then it’s onto radiation for me, most likely It will begin in June

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

Congratulations Chrystlx! Hopefully this last week will pass with few SEs!

• kipepeo
    edited May 2021
    Options

Congratulations Chrystal! Love the big smile. I'm really looking forward to hearing and seeing others finishing this doing the same myself!

• GreenOutdoors
    edited May 2021
    Options

Congrats on being done with chemo Chrystal! I hope you are enjoying many post steroids naps and feeling better each day! Thank you for sharing a picture, you look strong

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited May 2021
    Options

Congrats to you Chrystix! I know you are relieved and happy to have that behind you. Good luck to you for radiation, I had it back in 2013 for left side DCIS, alot easier than chemo.

I have 3 Taxol left, hopefully surgery soon!

Take care everyone!