Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo March 2021

Options

Comments

• Carpe-Diem
    Carpe-Diem Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2021
    Options

Chrystix - Belated CONGRATULATIONS. Love your photo and your lovely smile. Enjoy the rest of May before you head into radiation. You are almost at the finish line.

Green Outdoors - Did you get the final TC dose yet? Good luck. I have TC #3 tomorrow. Getting used to having a bunch of awful days, and then being my normal self.

Ladies -- keep at it. Sending you all positive vibes and virtual hugs. As crappy as chemo is - we are going to do this and put it behind us.

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited May 2021
    Options

It has been very quiet here. I hope It means everyone is doing well with their treatment and some might have finished by now. I am far from finishing line. I have my last AC infusion today. Then I will start my 12 week Taxol.

• GreenOutdoors
    GreenOutdoors Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2021
    Options

Carpe-Diem, I had my last TC yesterday!! I’m so happy and couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Next are 30 radiation treatments, then I’ll start on Lupron and Arimidex. And hopefully I’ll finish reconstruction early next year. It doesn’t seem to end, but it’s good to check some things off!

Good luck to you and Aram for your treatment today, I hope you get a peaceful spot and few side effects! Hugs to all

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

GreenOutdoors, congratulations on finishing the chemo part! Best of luck with the radiation!

• kipepeo
    kipepeo Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2021
    Options

GreenOutdoors, congratulations. SillyHeart I love these posts of us finishing this crap!

I was thinking about you because we were on the same schedule until mine got delayed a week. So I'm in my last few days of feeling pretty good before my final treatment next Tuesday. I can't wait to post that one. It has been a rough ride for me, but my previous (3rd) treatment was not too bad.

Chrystal and Greenoutdoors...have you joined a radiation thread yet? I haven't even looked so I don't know what's there. I do have a co-worker that had surgery and radiation only and is now on tamoxifen, so I have her first hand accounts of the experience.

• GreenOutdoors
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thank you Heidi! SmileI also can’t wait for everyone in this thread to be done, it’s so exciting! Enjoy feeling fantastic this week, you’ve been a trooper with all the setbacks! I remember that first chemo day thinking of you kind stranger going through the same very scary thing, it helped me feel less alone

I haven’t looked much at the radiation threads, but I probably should, good idea! My MO said he would put me on Tamoxifen if my dexa scan (unsure of spelling, it checks for osteoporosis and osteopenia) shows problems. But I would still get the Lupron shot either way.

• Chrystlx
    Chrystlx Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2021
    Options

I haven’t joined a radiation thread yet. Waiting to be scheduled to see when I start.

Anyone else having hot flashes????? Omg. It’s SO MUCH. Not sleeping great.

But, yes, SUPER happy to be finished with the chemo part. Good luck to everyone 😊😊

• kipepeo
    edited May 2021
    Options

Today was my #4 and final TC infusion. Yay! I was the first patient in the area and got my pick of seats, so I selected the one that is most private and has the best view.

I felt pretty good and am in very good spirits, so I cut off work an hour early and went for a motorcycle ride. This is one of the 3 covered bridges in my county, Loy's Station.

• Mikeysmom925
    Mikeysmom925 Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2021
    Options

Good morning-

I hope this finds everyone doing well and feeling strong! Just wondering if anyone has gotten styes from chemo. I haven't had a stye in years and just had one blossom yesterday. I had my 4th round of Tax/Cyt Friday so I'm thinking this is another "gift of chemo."

TYIA for any words of wisdom you can share.

Have a beautiful day-

Dawn

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited May 2021
    Options

Kipepeo, is this your last chemo? (pic of ringing bell) If so congrats to you! Thank you for sharing the pictures, you look so happy and strong! I love covered bridges, I searched them out when in New England several years ago. You deserve to leave work early again and go for another ride!

Mikeysmom92, I had a small stye form about a week ago, I put "dry eye" drops in my eyes several times a day and it has gone away. Even though my eyes were kind of watery, the dry eye drop lubricated them fairly well. Hope your stye clears up soon!

• kipepeo
    edited May 2021
    Options

Natureyogi, yes my final treatment. I thought I edited the post but it didn't take last night.

Mikeysmom, I don't get styes and I don't know what causes them, but I have gotten severe dry eyes during chemo. I've been using systane gel before bed, and pataday extra strength in each eye once a day, and that seems to help. Pataday has antihistamine in it.

• kipepeo
    edited May 2021
    Options

Chrystal, the hot flashes...I'm already post menopausal, and I never really had hot flashes but once in a while. I get them mostly at night (sweating) and during the day when it's hot and humid out.

But I have been getting them more lately. Had one in Costco the other day to beat all hot flashes. I felt like I reached the boiling point. Had to remove my jacket, pull my mask down and my husband tried to remove my cap...which felt like a release of 100 degrees, but I'm just not comfortable going full capless in public. So I kept fanning my head with the hat and my torso with my shirt, and thinking up what to say if someone complained my mask was down. I was literally sweating. But they're so infrequent and don't last too long, so I'll just deal with them.

My doc said that even though my blood test shows I'm post menopausal by the numbers, I could still be transitioning and that's why I'm flashing. But it does make me eligible for aromatase inhibitors rather than tamoxifen, which I like.

• Carpe-Diem
    edited May 2021
    Options

Kipepeo. -- CONGRATULATIONS! You made it through this phase. So happy for you. And good for you for going on a motorcycle ride. You earned it. Always good to do what you enjoy most.

Green Outdoors is done and so is Chrystix. MikeysMom925 - are you done with TC?

I have one more TC left scheduled for June 2nd. Can't wait to put this behind me. My 3rd treatment was ok. I have had a bit of flare in my veins post infusion. Hopefully it won't cause any problems when I go for my fourth. My oncologist also gave me additional steroids (methyl prednisone) where you take one pill less each day for 6 days. Definitely made the chemo treatment much more tolerable.

Weather is nice in the northeast, and I am trying to get myself out there to walk more.

Have a lovely day everyone.

• LoveNow
    LoveNow Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Congrats on those who have completed their treatments! I had my final TC on Tuesday. So thankful to be done with it, though I am having more nausea than usual. And OMG hot flashes! for weeks now. Anyone have advice for sleeping? I already had insomnia issues but this is pushing me waaay over the edge. My doc put me on some kind of antidepressant that is supposed to help but the pharmacist says it could be 4-6 weeks before I feel results.

Just to back up a little- a few days after my 3rd treatment my incision where my port was placed showed signs of infection. After a week of antibiotics it didn't clear up so they removed it. It was clearly infected under the skin but they only cultured the tip of the catheter that was in my heart and it came back negative. So after another type of antibiotic it is improving but hasn't completely healed. I was nervous to have my last TC with a slight infection but they felt comfortable going forward with it. Fingers crossed I am done with unexpected issues for a while.

I am wondering who out there might be deciding about radiation? I really don't want to do it after I was told all of the horrible side effects that can occur (heart damage, lung damage, burning skin) but I am right on the line as one of my tumors was 5.1 cm and they usually treat over 5. Also the clear margins on that one were less than 1mm which I have read can be a little too close. I have a phone consult with a radiation onc. later today. Any suggestions or information would be warmly welcomed.

Hope you each are well as can be during your healing :)

• kipepeo
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Lovenow, sorry for your infection issues, and glad they are resolved. But your port is out, lucky you!

My tumor was only 1.2cm with clear margins etc, and I'm under the impression radiation is expected. I haven't seen my radiation oncologist since chemo started, so that is coming. I don't want lung and heart damage either so I need to know how they mitigate that.

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

Heidi, it is great to see your pictures! Congrats on being done with chemo.

It seems many in this group have completed or close to completion on their chemo part. I have completed my AC portion of the chemo last week. Still have 12 weeks of Taxol to go through. It seems I am one of the few ones in the March group with lengthy chemo.

• ursaminor
    ursaminor Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2021
    Options

I’ve been pretty quiet here but I’ll be at this for a while too (through mid-July if all goes well—started at the end of the month and doing six TC cycles instead of four)

Super exciting to see all the bell-ringing happening around here!

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    edited May 2021
    Options

I have 2 dose dense Taxol left, last treatment June 17.

Love Now- I had radiation back in 2013 on my left side, I haven't had any lung or heart issues in the past 8 years. They explained about the method they use to prevent that, I can't remember what it was. I am sure they will go over that with you. The burning skin did suck big time, but there are new lotions out there to help with that. Check on the radiation threads. Good luck to you!

• heliosue
    heliosue Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2021
    Options

I have been hunkered down for the last few weeks trying to get through my 4 AC infusions. Last one was on Monday with two one week delays to get my blood work back on track (sort of). I now have a choice of going with once a week TC for 12 weeks or an 8 week course of once every two weeks. My oncologist would prefer that I do the once a week for 12 weeks, due to my age (75) and the fact that I do seem to have a slower recovery after each infusion. Do any of you have an opinion or know someone who has used the 12 week TC? If so, I would sure appreciate some feedback. I have not had to take anti-nausea meds during my AC treatments - mostly I get a little burpy for a few days, and am wondering if the TC tends to induce more nausea than the AC. Also, I have really severe neuropathy in my legs right now.  Any opinions on the neuropathy that accompanies the TC treatments?

Sounds as though several of you have moved on to the next stage of your treatment. Good luck to you all, and thanks. 

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

heliosue, I haven't gone through the weekly Taxol yet, but I looked into the differences with DD one a little bit to ask my MO questions. It seems DD causes more neuropathy, while weekly one cause more blood count issues.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20130612-3

• GreenOutdoors
    edited May 2021
    Options

Congrats Heidi! ThumbsUp I get so happy when someone is done!

I have missed a lot of posts as I’ve been outside a lot and trying to get past this last cycle. (A little tougher than the other ones, but getting there).

Crystal, I hate hot flashes, but especially at night because they keep waking me up. Some days are better than others and I need to figure out what I’m doing different on those days. Also I should probably tell my MO how much they’re affecting me.

Aram, you have a long way to go but I hope that now that the AC is done you’ll have an easier time with your treatments.

CarpeDiem, you’re almost there! I have also been loving the weather in the Northeast! Lots of outside time lately which always makes me happy!

LoveNow, I understand your feeling about radiation. I REALLY don’t want to do it but I also know that I absolutely must do it because I have lymph node involvement. I hope your conversation with your RO went well and that you were able to make a decision. Are the antidepressants to help with the hot flashes? Please let me know if they work!

Mikeysmom, no styes but very dry red eyes. Ive been using antihistamine eye drops after reading about it on this thread and it works for me. Hopefully some warm compresses will make your eye feel better.

• Braveworld
    Braveworld Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi, Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.

Want to check whether I am alone in experiencing itching all over my body (especially hands, feet, around ears, neck). Wherever I scratch, rash appears. The doc prescribed steroid to take by mouth. I have been taking it for three days and don't see any improvement with the itching.

I had TC injection #3 on May 20th. My first two cycles were typical with fatigue for the first week and I felt much better after the first week and never experienced the itching in the first two cycles.

For those who is on TC treatment, have you ever experienced itching? How long does it last? and how to relieve the symptoms?

Thanks so much!

• aram
    edited May 2021
    Options

Braveworld,if I were you, I would have called my MO to be on the safe side. Taxanes are known to cause allergic reactions.

• kipepeo
    edited May 2021
    Options

Braveworld, yes on the itching. After my last/4th/final TC treatment I also had my 2nd moderna covid vaccine 2 days later. I got the worst bout of itching and rash ever. I wasn't sure what was causing it, but we were leaning towards vaccine reaction. Nothing topical helped. My doc prescribed me Alarax, and that really helped curb the itching, which kept the rash away. Alarax is sedating though. Took about 3 days to get rid of it.

• Braveworld
    edited May 2021
    Options

Aram, thanks for your reply. We are on holiday today in the US and will call the MO tomorrow. I hate the itching, worse than the fatigue....

• Braveworld
    edited May 2021
    Options

Kipepeo, thanks! Congrats on finishing chemo! I wish I were there.

With the itching, I am having 2nd thought about the 4th injection. It is really bothering me. Hope it will go away soon. Thanks!

• kipepeo
    edited May 2021
    Options

Braveworld, see if your doc recommends the alarax. My itching on the bottom of my feet was so bad. But if I scratched or rubbed the skin it made my feet swell and then it really hurt to walk. But I'm telling you the alarax really helped. It's an antihistamine. I also had the "rash" on the inside of my right forearm, both elbows, the back of my left hand, and both inner thighs. I first thought it was poison ivy but could not figure out how I got that much without touching any plants at all! My doc thought the inner thigh rash looked like hives. I'm done with chemo and covid vaccines, even if they recommend a booster.

Something I read to do during chemo infusion is to put ice packs on your hands and feet to minimize neuropathy. I did it during my first TC and then none afterwards. Maybe that can help you get through the next one. Best of luck.

• kipepeo
    edited June 2021
    Options

I started a June 2021 radiation thread since I think a few of us here qualify.

• Carpe-Diem
    edited June 2021
    Options

Helliosue -- Sorry for the late response. You may have already started. In 2014 - I had 4 doses of AC and then 4 doses of Taxol which were given on an every other week. I found AC to be more difficult and had no nausea with taxol. Taxol does cause some neuropathy and you can use ice mitts for your hands and feet to minimize it. I was glad it was four sessions and over, instead of 12 weeks of it. You indicated you are getting TC - TC normally stands for Cytoxan and Taxoterre. If you are getting Cytoxan and taxoterre, I am on it now, and get my infusions every three weeks. I believe you may be getting Taxol and not TC. Did you make a decision as to whether to get it weekly or every other week?

• Braveworld
    edited June 2021
    Options

Kipepeo, Thanks! The itching is manageable today. I still have to remind myself not to rub or scratch. I called the MO's office and they asked me to take Zyrtec if it continues. I feel it is getting better over time but not because of the steroid. Hope it goes away in the next few days as I will have my last cycle next Thursday. Thanks!