Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo March 2021

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    edited September 2021
    Options

heliosue, I hope your radiation goes well.

Chrystlx, wow look at that hair! Very happy to hear you are doing well.

Kipepeo, any news of your ultrasound? I hope it did go well.

• kipepeo
    kipepeo Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2021
    Options

My procedure is this coming Wed, 29 Sep. There are 2 spots being biopsied and one area being aspirated of fluid. On the one hand I'm like wtf, I just went through surgery, chemo, radiation and am taking an anti estrogen drug. How can I possibly have more cancer? And on the other hand radiation can cause cancer.

I'm trying not to get all worked up about it. Nothing I can do right now but just stay calm and enjoy life.

I'll check back in and let you know results.

• aram
    edited September 2021
    Options

Kipepeo, fingers crossed for benign results. Because of our history, doctors are more cautious. I had one area biopsied in the middle of chemo, and they told me normally we would tell patients to wait 6 months for this kind of imaging, but not with those with prior cancer diagnosis. Mine was benign, hopefully yours is benign as well. Fingers crossed.

• aram
    edited October 2021
    Options

Kipepeo, I hope everything went well with your biopsy.

• kipepeo
    edited October 2021
    Options

Thanks for that Aram. Fortunately the two spots they were going to biopsy were just fluid filled cysts. There was another, larger fluid filled seroma that was drained as well. All likely from surgery and radiation. No biopsies were done, nothing further to worry about. What a relief. But is also a dress rehearsal for future scans and tests and the fear that accompanies them. I can't believe what a life changer this has been.

Also want to report on my hair growth. It's incredibly soft and not curly, but is definitely following its growth direction. Meaning no matter how much I brush the left side back, it grows forward, so totally fights and wins against any redirection. It is very slightly wavy, and it seems I have more than before I shaved it off. I've been taking omega 3 fish oils and eating eggs (we have chickens, so have a lot of eggs).

• aram
    edited October 2021
    Options

Great news! I am super happy for you. And I love your hair. Mine has just started to come out :)

• HopeHeal
    HopeHeal Member Posts: 137
    edited October 2021
    Options

That's great news about the biopsy Kipepeo! By the say your hair looks great and you look so nice in that picture. I hope mine comes out as straight as yours, it has just started to grow.

Great your hair is also growing, Aram.

• GreenOutdoors
    GreenOutdoors Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hello all,

It’s been a while since I’ve logged on and looked around here.

Kipepeo, I can’t believe that you’ve had a scare already, that’s terrible and I’m glad it turned out ok. I love that your hair is growing straight! You look healthy! No side effects is fantastic!

Aram, if I read correctly you’ve had surgery today. I hope you are resting comfortably and that all went as planned.

Crystal, my hair looks like yours. The curls look really nice on you!

Hope, I see you are wishing for straight hair, I did too! Mine looked straight when it was very short but not anymore. I hope you get your wish!

I’m on Aromasin, Lupron and Zometa. I found over the summer that I have osteoporosis of the spine and the Zometa is supposed to stabilize that. Side effects have been miserable but I’m hopeful that I’ll find a way to balance everything out in time.

How’s everyone else doing? What treatments are you on?

• Chrystlx
    Chrystlx Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2021
    Options

kipepeo- SO HAPPY to hear the biopsy went fine! I can’t even imagine having to do it all again! That’s the fear. Whew.

I’m doing well. On tamoxifen and vitamin d. Only side effect is hot flashes, which suck but I’m getting used to them. Oh, and my period is still gone, which is awesome.

I’m getting used to the curls LOL. I’m not a very girly girl, so I don’t know what to do with them. All better than the bald.

Sprayed it pink for my husband’s PINK OUT volleyball game. Was a huge success.image

• HopeHeal
    edited October 2021
    Options

Chrystix, your hair looks so cute & the red becomes you too ;). I know how it feels to appreciate any hair growing back as I was worried for a long time about seeing no growth but now seeing stubble, cute like a little plant. I still cannot tell what texture it will be though.

• kipepeo
    edited November 2021
    Options

Ladies it has been a stressful couple of weeks. After that last set of 3 aspirations, I felt another lump on my non cancer breast. I had a bilateral reduction and this lump was at the end of one of the scars. So the doctor ordered an ultrasound and a biopsy was recommended. While waiting the 2 weeks for the biopsy I felt 2 more lumps. Returned for another u/s, and they added those to the biopsies. I had one cyst aspirated and 3 areas biopsied with clips placed. All came back as benign scar tissue from surgery. So now what do I do if I feel more lumps? Lather, rinse, repeat?

Meanwhile, I've been taking the letrozole/femara. Side effects are fatigue and muscle aches, pretty bad muscle aches. So I called my MO to ask how much muscle pain I should tolerate. He told me to stop taking it, wait for aches to subside, then we'd discuss other drug options.

My adventure continues.

Oh and right after my last post I noticed my hair was getting curly, but not nearly as curly as Chrystlx'. Many people comment how nice it looks and suggest I keep it this short. But I want longer hair again. Have not had a trim yet. Anybody had their first trim?

• aram
    edited November 2021
    Options

Heidi, I am sorry you had these scares. It is scary to wait for all these results...

I had my BMX about a month ago. I am seeing my breast surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully I will have my pathology results.

Hair is coming back slowly. Not bald anymore!

• Chrystlx
    Chrystlx Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2021
    Options

kipepeo- so sorry you’ve had all those scares! But happy you’re doing well. I go for my first post-treatment mammogram in a couple of weeks 😬 It’s so nerve-racking!

Aram- hope your meeting with the BS went well.

as for the hair, it’s SO CURLY 😂😂 I haven’t had a trim yet b/c I also want it to be longer. But it’s getting kinda mullet-like.

But better than the bald and the head sores, which I can’t believe was just this past spring! Feels like forever ago

• HopeHeal
    edited December 2021
    Options

Great your hair is coming back, Ladies. Mine is coming in and I think it will be wavy, though it's too early to tell. My blonde's turned silver so we will see if that stays. I don't estimate my first trim until at least 4 months from now (maybe styling the pixie better) and I don't think it will be anything close to chin length until a year from now. Until then I have my wigs but I am wondering if wig-wearing would hamper growth; our follicles are still healing from the chemo.