Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Need help - recurrence after six months?

Options
2»

Comments

• Roro711
    Roro711 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2021
    Options

I was diagnosed with Her2+ IDC last April. Completed chemo and had a single mastectomy with reconstruction on left side in December 2020. No radiation as I had clean margins. I recently found 2 lumps on my reconstructed side last week (4 months postop) and found to be positive on biopsy. I can’t help but think they missed something too. I’m waiting for my treatment plan. I’m sorry you and your wife are having to deal with this too.

• dres123
    dres123 Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2021
    Options

I hope that regardless you get on a treatment plan soon. It's hard the second time around, but like the first time, once a plan is in place it oddly feels better.

• buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited April 2021
    Options

Roro, I'm sorry you're facing this also! Please keep us posted.

Dres, I think adding ovarian suppression and an AI makes sense. It will slow the cancer down before surgery, which is what you want because based on that Ki67 and the tumor size it seems to be picking up speed. It sounds like they are not recommending chemo again then? Best wishes to you both.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    edited April 2021
    Options

I would definitely push for an Oncotype. It is not standard in recurrences, but mine increased from 16 to 40 and that was a game changer as far as treatment regimens.

• Impmuse
    Impmuse Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hi there. In regards to missing a large tumor....mine was 4.8 cm ,and 52 grams in weight. They saw it on a mammogram, felt it obviously...but thought it was 2.5 cm in size. Even with an ultrasound, they couldn't see it's entire size. The surgeon said they can't see everything. But yours is an mri. I had an mri on my brain, for a mass found on my pituitary gland. By looking at it, they tell me it's not cancer.( I'm hopeful but have doubts too). That one is only 1 cm, but just by looking at an mri, they can tell it's benign. My onchologist said "it doesn't look like cancer".....something about the edges.

I hope this helps.

• dres123
    edited May 2021
    Options

Just wanted to update the forum here, in case anyone comes across this thread.

Bottom line, good news, the “new” tumor was almost certainly a residual. The oncotype is still low (14 vs 11) and no sign of nodal involvement though we won’t know for sure until surgery. Right now chemo isn’t indicated but we know that things can also change.

So still treatable with curative intent, which is a big sigh of relief. Hope that it continues. Thanks so so so much to everyone here for chiming in!! I’m praying for all of you!

• buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited May 2021
    Options

Dres, so glad it is being treated with curative intent. That's great news! Thanks for keeping us updated. :-)

• dres123
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thank you, and I continue to wish the best for you and everyone here!