Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

April 2021 Surgeries

Options

Comments

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    Options

hi April_bc,

My surgeon told me I could wear the compression "bra" as long as it was comfortable. Which for me was 2 days. I am one week out today from right mastectomy. I've been wearing a cotton tube top that is very comfortable. Are you ok going braless? I haven't tried a sports bra yet. Today I feel no pain, drains are about 40ml/24hrs. I went grocery shopping today, back to doing laundry, making dinner etc. walking 30-60 minutes daily. Elevating my right arm is the hardest part for me. I'm right handed and find myself using that arm for normal things, except lifting more than 15lbs. I see the NP tomorrow. Incision looks good. My armpit is somewhat sore and a little numb. Otherwise I feel like myself.

Best wishes on your recovery. The second Covid vaccine left me in bed for 24hrs. Hang in there!

Julie

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 215
    Options

Hello everyone, I am just home from having my fat grafting and revision. I am surprised at how much pain I am having. I felt like I sailed through my mastectomies as far as pain but this is really uncomfortable. She had to replace my implant on my prophylactic side. That worries me due to the increased risk of infection. I am wearing my compression garment as advised by moutainlover (really appreciate you!). And the bruising is really unbelievable. I am hoping I will end up more even after all this. My radiated foob sits so high and does not move!

I am a little too loopy to reply to everyone. I am thinking of you all and hoping you are all doing well. I hate that we have to go through this crap. I am forever grateful for this wonderful community. So nice to know that those reading know exactly where I am coming from. I appreciate you all!

• mountainlover
    mountainlover Member Posts: 59
    Options

Good morning everyone, I am sending positive thoughts to all!

April_bc , I had exactly the same experience as you with the surgical bra after my MX, it was excruciating! The PS team were all adamant I should keep that bra for a month except when showering (only after 2 weeks they reluctantly accepted I could stay braless for half an hour as long as I was still. I was begging them). It was driving me insane. The only way I managed was alternating different types (each of them giving me its own peculiar discomfort and different marks on my skin). I went on a purchasing frenzy on amazon to find the right type in those weeks. It does get better though, things really improved for me once they removed both drains by day 10, and again around 3 weeks and a half post-op. And, like you, I didn't move much at all in those first days. I felt very weak and pain was significant. Things really turned once the second drain was removed.

It's interesting that you could have the vaccine. My PS wants me to wait around 3 weeks. I feel nervous about that – I was invited to register (am considered vulnerable here, due to the recent cancer) and booked a date at the end of April. I am always cautious, but now that the kids are back to school in presence the risk goes up. Fingers crossed.

Dani, I am sorry about the pain, but oh, I know what you mean! And my surgery was less involved than yours! I am now on day 10 and I still have some pain although I mostly manage without painkillers. And the bruising… well, on day 6 I sent photos to the PS – she agreed it was "quite remarkable" but not a cause of concern. PS advised to use either arnica cream or Hirudoid (it contains a "mucopolysaccharide polysulfate" , had to look it up). I am also trying arnica granules and, since I stopped antibiotics and ibuprofen, bromelaine, which really helped me after the MX last year.

I hope things improve quickly for everyone. I will keep thinking of you all.
  • RubyA
    RubyA Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hello. First post, though I've been lurking on this site for months. After an abnormal mammo in November, I'm finally having an excisional biopsy in two days, 4/22. I have a large complex sclerosing lesion very close to my chest wall. (The stereotactic biopsy and magseed placement have confirmed this lesion is difficult to access. I really hope my surgeon can get it all because every radiologist has had a tough time reaching it, and I dread any further testing.) I feel silly being so stressed about my surgery because most of you have been through FAR worse. But I wanted to say thanks: I've learned SO much from everyone in this community. Now, to remain calm this week...

• april_bc
    april_bc Member Posts: 26
    Options

Juju-mar, I'm impressed with your activity level! I still depend on my husband for almost everything. However, after reading your post, I started walking more around the house. I live in Colorado and it is snowing in April! So, I don't want to go out right now. About the bra, my plastic surgeon wants me to keep wearing the surgical bra/vest for four weeks. I don't have the option of going braless. Thank you so much for your response.

Mountainlover, good to hear that you started feeling better after removing the drains. I can't switch to any other bras for four weeks. My plastic surgeon gave me an additional bra, the exact same brand and type and size, to alternate between the two. The only time that I'm braless is when I'm taking a shower. I will let me PS team know during my post-op on Thursday. They might give me a break like your PS team did! About the vaccine, I actually tried to postpone it for at least one week but there was no civil (!) option to do that other than no-show. And both the oncology surgeon and the plastic surgeon were okay with it. My oncologist had doubts but she said it was the surgeons' decision.

RubyA, welcome to the forum! Don't feel silly, everybody has the right to worry about themselves! We are not here to compare our situations to one another. I hope your biopsy goes well. Also, FYI, one of the worst chapters of my cancer journey was when I was waiting for the biopsy and when waiting for its result. That's why I decided to do the bilateral mastectomy instead of a simple lumpectomy. Emotionally, I cannot handle another biopsy. Good luck and please keep us posted.

• juju-mar
    Options

I also only had one breast removed and no reconstruction, so recovery is less complicated for sure. We are having some snow today in Michigan! I walked the dog before it started.

One drain out today at my follow up appt with surgeon's office. Next drain hopefully to come out next week. Incision looks good. I still haven't shown my husband....when the second drain is out I will. He gets queezy with blood and medical things.

Healing wishes to us all!

Julie

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    Options

My mastectomy was April 1 and at today’s checkup, the plastic surgeon added some stitches to a gap in my incision. Surprisingly, the compression from the bra makes me MORE comfortable.

Because I had so many lymph nodes removed, my right arm’s range of motion is still very limited.

Due to all the positive nodes, my treatment plan now includes chemo before radiation. My port placement will be next week.

Good news: yesterday’s PET scan came back clear. I’m extremely relieved.

Best wishes to everyone.

• juju-mar
    Options

TXLorelei,

Good news on the PET scan, I did chemo from Oct 2020-March 2021. A/C x 4 treatments followed by Taxol x12 weeks. The good news is the meds they give during chemo make all the difference. It's not the chemo you see in the movies or from 30 yrs ago. Drink lots of water, eat good nutritional foods, walk daily. And hopefully the crummy days will be few and far between. I blogged my experience if you'd like to read it.

Best of luck to you! jujuscancerjourney.Wordpress.com

Julie

• pokemom1959
    pokemom1959 Member Posts: 67
    Options

Hi All - I hope everyone is doing well ... recovering for those who have already had their surgery and that the anticipation is not too bad for those who are waiting. I saw my plastic surgeon today and had the drains taken out (which is a huge relief) and all of the packing removed. I'm just wearing a post-surgery bra now, which is much more comfortable. I talked to my breast surgeon today and she said there were actually 3 tumors (only 1 had been spotted on the mammogram - they saw the other 2 on an MRI). The biggest one is 1.8 cm (they had previously thought 9mm) and the other two were 8mm each. They did a bilateral reduction and lift (which is quite nice as the girls are much smaller and perkier now) and according to her, they removed almost 4 pounds of breast tissue (good grief). She said a recommendation for chemo is still a possibility - they need to send out for the oncotype score which takes 2 to 3 weeks. Great, more waiting. After reading on here, I did ask my oncologist to get the RSPC test too. For some reason, the idea of chemo terrifies me like nothing else. I'm praying for a low score so I don't have to make that decision. I know radiation and hormonal therapy are recommended and I can deal with that, but chemo is scary. Keep your chin up ladies ... we can do this!

• RubyA
    Options

April_bc, thank you very much for the kind words. Wishing you -- and everyone here -- continued good healing!

• saltmarsh
    saltmarsh Member Posts: 192
    Options

Hey folx,

This has been a really surreal experience. I came home from the hospital yesterday. I'm still hopped up on enough meds that I'm pretty spacey. I type a sentence, zone out, catch myself staring into the distance, type another sentence, etc. Whatever they gave me in hospital gave me some minor amnesia, so even though all I remember was them prepping me and wheeling me down the corridor, allegedly I was awake right into the OR, and again afterwards -- which I have zero recollection of -- on the way to my room. I felt pretty good in the hospital and pretty good yesterday, and they warned me that this would wear off and I'd probably feel lousy by Thursday or Friday. I'll take it as long as it lasts!

Hope y'all are doing well.

• PebblesMom
    PebblesMom Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi everyone, I'm Laura and I also had a lumpectomy "upgrade" to mastectomy on 4/19. I feel worse today, in terms of pain and emotionally, than I did yesterday. How are all the April surgery patients doing? Still doesn't seem real to me.

• pokemom1959
    Options

Hi Laura - My experience is every day gets a little easier. It seems like the anticipation of the procedures and the not knowing are the hardest (at least for me). I hope your day got better today. Sending soft hugs and prayers for you.

Debbie

• mainejen
    mainejen Member Posts: 148
    Options

still doesn’t feel real to me either. Had surgery yesterday. It’s realllllly tough. Physically and emotionally

• mainejen
    mainejen Member Posts: 148
    Options

still doesn’t feel real to me either. Had surgery yesterday. It’s realllllly tough. Physically and emotionally

• saltmarsh
    Options

Last night I finally broke down and cried -- I think due to the pain meds wearing thin, but also just suddenly feeling the weight of what we all are going through. I suddenly just felt really vulnerable, and tired, especially when I thought about this as just the beginning, and a marathon, not a sprint.

I both want to get back to life as it normally is, and am terrified of doing too much and having any setbacks. And of course I'm terribly curious to learn my oncotype score and see what the docs are recommending as next steps.

I am glad that I decided on a pre-pectoral reconstruction and that they were able to do it...I think that was the right choice for me. Thanks to those of you who shared your experiences with that!

• PebblesMom
    Options

Thank you ladies. Sharing with others who are going thru this is just so helpful. No matter how much support you have from family & friends, ultimately you are the one on the table, subjecting your body and mind to pain and fear. It's lonely, but knowing I'm not alone makes it more bearable.

• mountainlover
    Options

Dear April ladies, I hope things are on the mend for all who have already undergone surgery, and that those who are still waiting manage to be as serene as possible at this difficult time.

I had the post-surgery control today where they removed the remaining stitches. My PS team was unavailable to my surprise, so another PS saw me and essentially said things are ok. I guess I should be grateful. However, between his hurried mode, his fast talking (I have to communicate in my third language which doesn't help when the counterpart talks super fast or I am very stressed or emotional) the fact that I may need massages to tackle some post-fat grafting hardening in my thigh, and the fact that the information he gave me on subsequent surgical steps and other matters didn't match what my PS had said so far, as soon as he left the room I lost it completely. I must have cried for a good 5 minutes. The nurses were super sweet and managed to book me another appointment with my PS in 2 weeks, but I found the whole experience pretty awful. I guess I am more overwhelmed than I like to think. It seems it never ends. I know that I am in a much better place now than I was in summer last year and that things will get better. But it is a lot to endure for me, and I guess all those emotions and stress need to find a way out, in my case through a lot of tears. My goodness, I hate it!! I'd really love to be able to face medical appointments and surgery in a lighter mood. I hope this will improve with time.

I hope this does not depress anyone. I see many ladies here who have such a brave attitude. For me, it has rather been a matter of – I have no choice and have to face this, I'll do the best I can, but it's not easy. I try to protect my kids, be functional at work and socially. But when I'm in a hospital setting or similar, I am always very close to crumbling it seems.

Then I look out of the window and the sun is shining, May the sun shine for all of us, outdoor and on the inside. Take care.

• juju-mar
    Options

mountainlover,

Hugs to you - I think it's totally normal for us all to feel the emotional roller coaster that is Breast Cancer treatment. Allow yourself to feel what you feel, knowing it's all temporary. I too think back to where I was 8 months ago, filled with worry and dread, almost planning my funeral! And today I feel hopeful for a long future, cancer free.

I wish you luck with your follow up appt with your PS. I hope he can answer all of your questions. I love that you are still looking on the bright side, with the sunshine out 😊 So important for us to acknowledge all of the feelings, good, bad, happy, sad.

Take care of yourself.

Julie

• dani444
    Options

mountainlover,

So glad the nurses at the office were compassionate and got you an appointment with your PS. That must have been so disheartening to hear conflicting information from a different PS. I hope you will get some reassurance when you have your follow up.

One quote I read on here has always stuck with me and it is that you don’t have to be brave, you just need to show up. Your emotions are valid, and for me this wasn’t something I was prepared for. The emotional effects of treatment and survivorship. I kept hearing that you need to adjust to your “new normal” and that would just piss me off. None of this feels normal. Know that when you feel like you are crumbling in a hospital setting you have this whole community of women to support you and who understand your feelings. I am sending you a gentle cyber hug. I am wishing you the best for your follow up.

• mountainlover
    Options

Thank you so much Julie and Dani for your understanding, your empathy and your wise words. They really mean a lot. You are right, acknowledging, validating all our feelings is so important (though not always easy). And the "you just need to show up" quote. I want to turn this into a mantra in preparation for my next medical appointment! Gentle cyber hugs to you, too :-)

• saltmarsh
    Options

Wondering how everyone is today, especially MaineJen, RubyA and anyone else who has just had surgery?

There is something to the fact that no matter how much support you have around you, it's your body, and you on the table, and I am also grateful for folks who share their stories here, because none of my friends have gone through this yet. As an introvert, normally I don't mind being alone, but in this case it felt scary.

Mountainlover, I think it sucks that you had to see someone other than your PS without warning, and then moreso that the information he gave did not match. I know how stressful it can be receiving important information too quickly in a second or third language, and wish more people understood that. I really hope you are feeling better now and your next appointment goes much better!

• RubyA
    Options

Hi ladies. Mountainlover, I'm glad you'll get to see your PS soon. It's logical and comforting to see your own surgeon for follow up. Saltmarsh, I send you a big, virtual hug.

My surgery went as planned. Surgeon thinks he got the entire complex sclerosing lesion. We knew with its size, he might not get it all. Pathology will obviously confirm...and hopefully no upgrades. I think general anesthesia hit me hard...I've had headaches, no appetite, and a low resting heart rate. My HR has been in the 40s. Normally it's 10-15 beats higher. The doctor who called me yesterday said to give it 48 hrs...I'm a few hours away from that. It's making me nervous. Has anyone else experienced this? I am staying very well hydrated.

• PebblesMom
    Options

Hi everyone. Hope you're all doing as well as possible. I'm less than a week out from mastectomy and feeling uncomfortable. The skin around my incision feels tight and numb. Anyone else have that?

Ruby, sorry about your issues with anesthesia. I've had some problems too, mostly nausea. The drugs do stay in your system for awhile. Hope you're feeling better now.

• Gruesome
    Gruesome Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hey, ladies! I had a left side mastectomy on April 5th, no reconstruction. Three sentinel nodes, all clear thank goodness. But the pathology report says the tumor is triple negative. I get to see the oncologist and radiologist next week. My drain came out Monday - boy, that felt strange! My stitches have pretty much dissolved and my scar is feeling tight. Is there a lotion or cream I should be rubbing in? Like for pregnancy bellies or something?

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    Options

I knew beforehand that “loss of sensation" was a mastectomy side effect, but I'm surprised at the extent. There's a numb swollen area under my armpit where the nodes were removed. I also have areas on my flat chest where the skin feels numb but pressing down hurts. My incision still gives me twinges too.

• dani444
    Options

pebblesmom, I hope you are able to rest and are a lot get pain control! I understand what you are explaining. I definitely had that sensation after my second mastectomy ( my prophylactic side) I chalked it up to the post op swelling. Such an odd feeling to have numb skin but still feel the pain from all the healing that is happening.

Gruesome, so glad you are free from the drain! My PS had me use aquaphor as I started to heal so you might check with them to see what they prefer you use. Best of luck as you move forward with your treatment.

TXLorlei- so on my cancer side I am still numb under my arm (my surgery on that side was 2018) I am guessing it is because of the nodes they took out. I got the twinges in my incision for quite a few months but they were farther apart as time went on.

I attempted to return to work last night but left in tears. The tears were mostly because I felt like I should have been able to push through but I could not. This fat grafting was no joke. I am getting a bit worried about some swelling on the side that she replaced the implant. I hope it is not a seroma. I did not have a drain so that worries me. Take care everyone, sending all the healing and comforting vibes your way.

• dallas115
    dallas115 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to check in with all of you. I know we are all at different stages in this process, I hope you all are doing well and not worrying too much (which is the hard part). I had my surgery, lumpectomy, lift and reduction on April 1st, both sentinel lymph nodes were negative. I have read through everyone's posts, a lot of it sounds familiar, things like loss of sensation, my left nipple-no sensation, there are other areas that were "numb" for weeks after the surgery. I still have light bruising in certain areas too. The surgeon used real stitches for my nipples versus dissolvable ones, had those removed about 2.5 weeks ago, that got one all inflamed and angry...worried about that for a few days. Then I found out I may need chemo, I was told that at the initial appt. but I was such a mess....had to wait for that result, came back at 17, no chemo. I will be starting Tamoxifen after 6 weeks of radiation. Like *Mountainlover* said, I do my best getting through daily stuff, but sometimes I feel like crying, and sometimes I do. Sometimes it's all so much and it seems like all the time....everyday...new message in my chart, appt. with radiation oncologist, follow up with surgeon, physical therapy, updated test results, reminder of appt. with medical oncologist, prescription for hormone suppressor ready for pick up.....I had a mini meltdown on my husband last week as we were driving to the "cancer center"....seriously. Before I got the "phone call", I was stressed over cleaning out my garage! My garage is still a disaster area btw. If you ladies could see my face as I type this lol... I should be so grateful-yet I seem determined to wear it out -the way a three year old would do. Sorry if this is depressing.

One more thing....I am using a cream for the scars, it's called Biocorneum, it was recommended by my plastic surgeon.

• juju-mar
    Options

Dallas115,

Perfectly normal to feel the way you do! You're only 2 months into this whole new normal. I'm at 8 months since diagnosis and it does get better. The time I actually think about cancer is getting less and less each day. What I'm realizing is we are so strong as women. Yes, cancer sucks. I cry every once in a while wishing for my old life back. But I also have a greater appreciation going forward. Someone told me to think about treatment as a marathon, not a sprint. And it is. Hang in there, cry when you need to, then take a deep breath and focus on something that brings you joy. Laugh and move your body daily. Surround yourself with a good support system. Ask for help when you need it. Come here to the boards for advice, success stories and support when needed. We can all help each other through this horrible life changing event.

Best of luck to us all for healing and moving forward!

Julie

• pokemom1959
    Options

Hi Everyone - Hope everyone is having a better day today. I agree with Julie - it does get better with time and after awhile, you just stop thinking about cancer as it becomes a part of your past (although mine did come back after 8 years) and not your present.

Dallas - I had the same procedure as you. I'm having numbness under my arm where they took the lymph node too. Everything else seems to be healing pretty nicely. One areola/nipple looks perfect but the other one had quite a bit of dried blood or something on it (it's been there since right after surgery), which has me a little concerned. I saw both my breast surgeon and my plastic surgeon last week and neither of them said anything about it so I'm hoping it's normal. I bet you are so relieved about your oncotype score! Such a silver lining in all of this mess. I probably won't get my score back for another 2 weeks, but I am praying I won't need chemo. I'm afraid that if I do, I'm going to finally lose it an all of the emotions that I've held in check for so long will come flooding out.

Pebblesmom - Even though I only had a bilateral reduction, my skin also feels tight, especially in the area between my breasts. The incision from my node biopsy is actually the thing that is the most numb. I was shaving under that arm this morning and I could not feel a thing! Hopefully those issues reside as time goes by.

Dani - Did the doc recommend the Aquaphor for your scars? I've used Mederma for scars in the past but not for surgical scars. I have a bunch of Aquaphor in preparation for my radiation - sounds like it might be a good idea to throw some on the scars.

I seem to be having a little tingling in the fingers of my left hand (my cancer was on the left) - I'm wondering if that is the result of the lymph node removal. About 5 years ago, I went through a time when the pinky finger of my left hand was numb and tingling ... didn't even consider that it might have been related to my 2014 lumpectomy and SNB. Anyone else feeling that?

Keep your chins up ladies - we got this!

Debbie