Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

April 2021 Surgeries

Options
12346»

Comments

• saltmarsh
    saltmarsh Member Posts: 192
    Options

Juju-mar, I'm wondering if I've got cording. I'm seeing my PT tomorrow (finally!), so I'm hoping she can help me figure out what's going on and what I can do about it. I'm really not sure if the pain I'm feeling is just because we weren't supposed to raise our arms past our shoulders for so long and so it's kind of "frozen" and any stretching or movement outside that range hurts, or if there is actual AWS.

I hope your surgeon can help/reassure you about it and that it doesn't make your process any longer!

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    Options

salt marsh,

I've had a tight feeling under my arm for awhile now, but thought it was related to the infection and fluid under the skin. But last night I felt the cord when I raised my arm above my head. Looking in the mirror, it's clearly a cord....bummer. I've been using that arm all the time, doing some of the exercises, but not faithfully...

Good luck to you too!

Julie

• april_bc
    april_bc Member Posts: 26
    Options

Juju-mar and saltmarsh, sorry to hear about the possibility of cording. I hope all goes well. Please update us.

As for me, the small incision on my left breast did not heal on its own and I'm going back to the OR on Monday. There's no sign of infection but my PS mentioned that they will remove the TE if they see any infection while in the OR. That's a bummer! I'm now back to the pre-mastectomy depression! And I feel like I can't deal with this any longer.

Btw, my PS cleared me weeks ago to raise my arms above my shoulders but because of the incision I'm not doing it, especially with my left arm. I haven't scheduled an appointment with PT either, I was waiting for the incision to heal.

How's everybody else doing?

• pokemom1959
    pokemom1959 Member Posts: 67
    Options

Hi Julie- I ended up going in for a second surgery because the wound on the areola on my non-cancer side breast was not healing and had lots of dead tissue. She removed the dead skin and rearranged the breast tissue during the second surgery. I saw the plastic surgeon for my 2 week post-surgery visit today and the is still a small spot she is worried about that may necessitate a 3rd surgery. Pretty discouraging.

I did decide to do the chemo but it can’t start until my wound is fully healed. Then after the chemo (3 months -4 treatments every 3 weeks) I have 6-8 weeks of radiation. It feels like this whole process is never going to end.

Chins up and stay strong ladies!

• saltmarsh
    Options

I'm sorry to see how many of us are having complications or side effects from our surgeries. Hang in there folx!

I went to see my PT yesterday and she says the pain I'm having and what I'm feeling is not cording, and that she can help with it. And sure enough, after she did some mobility work on my shoulder, the pain was lessened and so was the feeling of something being stretched taut under the skin. She helped me figure out that it's not so much that my arm can't go over my head without pain; it's that I'm using the wrong muscles to get it there, which is causing pain. She recommended I get an over-the-door shoulder pulley to work on gently regaining my range of motion and training myself to relax the muscles I keep trying to recruit that I do not need to use. It cost $7, and not only do I see how it will help me, but my husband -- who hates any kind of exercise, but is a maker/tinker/geek type -- saw a pulley and sat right down and starting using it and experimenting with his range of motion, so the way I see it, this thing has already payed for itself!

My primary concern right now is that I'm still super low-energy -- something that started about a year ago, January, after I had a kind of scary respiratory infection. We'll never know for sure if I was one of those folks who had Covid before we all understood it was in the States and what it was, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm a low-level long-hauler. And if I'm not, what the heck is wrong with me? Because I was really hoping/thinking it was the cancer, but that's supposedly been successfully cut out, and I don't have any more energy than I did before.

• mountainlover
    mountainlover Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hello everyone,

ah, I hate it that cancer puts us through so much. I have been keeping you in my thoughts ladies and am so sorry for the complications.

April, have you had your surgery yet? It's so hard to go for additional unexpected surgeries, I hope things move in the right direction now, keep us posted.

Pokemom, how is the healing process going? I hope no more surgeries for you and that you can proceed with the treatment.

Julie, how are things? Have you started any PT yet for the cording? And have you commenced radiotherapy? How are you feeling?

Saltmarsh, I'm glad you've started PT, it has helped me a lot with regaining the right type of mobility after MX. As for energy, any chance you may be slightly anemic? Whatever it is I hope it gets better soon!

I have had low energy myself lately and I am trying to increase the amount of exercise again – I had to reduce that after surgery in April and haven't gone back to my usual levels yet. I don't know if it's spring or still the effect of the second pfizer shot (I was so sleepy for 4-5 days after!) or something else, but I am so into daytime naps now, which is not normal for me :-/

Other than that, i am still going to PT for the leg (unwanted effects of fat grafting). Things have improved but not completely healed, although I had an exam done to verify the integrity of the veins, and all was ok, so that's good news. Which leads me to another positive surprise which i'd like to share , i.e. EFT. I had read about this technique being applied to PTSD in cancer patients but never tried it. I happened to participate in a virtual session aimed to tackle work-induced insomnia, and could really see the potential. I tried to apply what I learnt prior to my latest medical exam and it really helped to reduce my anxiety and make me feel more centered and less overwhelmed.

Virtual hugs and healing thoughts to all. Take care!

• juju-mar
    Options

hi Mountainlover and all!

I had my mapping for radiation done last week and will begin my 6 weeks of radiation June 14. I see the PT tomorrow to address cording, but I found some things to try from YouTube and cording. For some reason I am creeped out massaging my scar skin to skin. I have to wear a shirt or use a ball on the outside of my shirt.

What is EFT? Glad you found something that may help with treatments. Good luck going forward. I cried the other day I think due to exhaustion. Cancer is hard! I'm in my 10th month since diagnosis. And some days I really miss my old boring life....but we can and will get through this!

Hope everyone is doing well and finding joy every day. My new mantra is "cancer will not live in my body ever again". I say it daily and truly believe it.

Julie

• mountainlover
    Options

Julie, it's great that you can start radiation soon and all is settled for that – one step closer to the end of this phase!

I love your mantra and want to introduce it in my daily routine, thanks :-) I have experienced the power of positive affirmations in the past (e.g. during my pregnancies) it's high time for me to apply that to cancer.

It's interesting that you talk about having moments of joy everyday. I have definitely made a conscious effort to add more joyful moments to my days and to focus on the moment. Be it enjoying the view at sunset from a balcony, or playing cards at the end of the day with my kids, I am getting better at giving myself such small "gifts".

EFT = Emotional Freedom Techniques.

Take care everyone.

• april_bc
    april_bc Member Posts: 26
    Options

Hi Mountainlover and all!

Yes, I had my second surgery to re-stitch the incision from the mastectomy a few days ago. I was in the hospital for several hours but the actual surgery took 20 minutes! I have very little pain from the surgery. The only downside was that my surgeon removed some liquid from the tissue expander on that side to lift some pressure off of the skin. The expander was initially filled at 180 ml, it is only 80 ml now. What bothers me is that the incision would have probably healed on its own if my surgeon had not filled the expander to 180 during the mastectomy. Anyway, as long as it heals this time I'm happy!

• juju-mar
    Options

hello all,

I've had 2 PT sessions to help break up scar tissue and webbing (cording) under my arm. While it's uncomfortable at the moment when she's pulling it to stretch, I feel so much better! Range of motion is better. If you think you have any tight feeling near your scar, armpit etc. I would encourage PT. It isn't lymphedema but it'll help keep that area flexible. Radiation May make it tight. I see her again Monday radiation starts. Then won't go back til 5-8 weeks after radiation. Hope everyone is doing well. It's officially summer here with my 2 high schoolers home.

Julie

• saltmarsh
    Options

Yay, Julie, glad to hear the PT is helping!

While I do not have cording, PT is also helping me with pain and range of motion and muscle attrition.

I went to the PS' office today for another TE fill, and told them I've gotten clarity on my desire for "matching" breasts, and that instead of trying to lift my perfectly healthy breast to match my implant, what I'd like to try is a slight overfill on the noob, so that as my left breast droops more, they end up matching better. Because let's face it: We're not getting any younger around here! If I wanna be perky, it's gonna have to be enough to be in attitude! And the reality is: I basically like my breasts. Even with one intact "mildly ptotic" breast, and one new, scarred, interesting creation that is still in development. I thought having an unmatched set would bother me more, but as I said to my PA today, it's not like I'm a lingerie model.

I hope you all like your breasts, too!

Mountainlover, I have only heard good things about EFT. I've never tried it, but I def have friends who swear by it; thanks for the reminder!

• pokemom1959
    Options

Hello everyone - I hope everyone is doing well and that pain is minimal.

I just had my 3rd surgery last night. This journey is not what I expected. When they did the lumpectomy and bilateral reduction and lift, she left an open wound on the areola of my right breast (the non-cancer side). I guess the areola just didn't transfer up all the way (the cancer side came out perfect). It wasn't healing so she took me in for a second surgery the end of last month. We left the wound open, but basically debrided it an moved the breast tissue around. Still wasn't healing so Tuesday night I go to the ER ... sit around for 4 hours before I get an ER bed. Then sit around another 11 hours until I get a regular hospital bed. Surgery is pushed from noon to 2:00 to 7:00. They finally do the surgery, which went well - this time she stitched the skin together so I will have a lopsided areola but at this point who the heck cares, I'm not a lingerie model either - but then the IV pops out of the vein and starts pushing the fluid into my forearm and hand which end up totally swollen so we have to put heat on them to reduce the swelling. Everything looks much better now, but since we had already reserved another surgery date of 7/2 (in a surgical suite which will be much better than going through the ER), we're keeping that date on calendar just in case it doesn't heal properly this time. Still gotta heal all the way before I can start chemo and then radiation. Good times.

Y'all keep your chins up - this will eventually end and life will go back to our new normal. xo

Debbie

• saltmarsh
    Options

Debbie, I am sending you all the healing thoughts and well-wishes, hoping that this is it and you will not need that date!

• saltmarsh
    Options

Folx,

I've got an appointment with my PS on Friday, and I'm fairly certain she'll tell me we are done filling my TE and that I can schedule my implant surgery for the fall. And I'm excited to be making progress with recovering from cancer!

*sigh*

Here's the thing: The closer I get, the less sure I am this is the right choice for me. I'm not sure I want two boobs enough to risk breast implant illness. I could just have one healthy one, and an aesthetic flat closure, and be done with it. No worries about BII, no third surgery in 10-20 years when the implant wears out. I used to think I'd mind having a uniboob and clothes maybe not hanging right or people noticing and looking at me funny or wondering what's up with my lopsided chest. Now I kinda feel like, "You wanna stare at my lopsided chest; knock yourself out! That's your issue."

Is this weird? Has anyone else who opted for a TE or TEs started reconsidering implants?

• mountainlover
    Options

Hello everyone, how are you doing? Thanks for the updates, I hope recovery is going well for everyone :-)

Saltmarsh, I bumped into a post of yours on this subject somewhere else on this site and it made me reflect on my own feelings about reconstruction. As exhausting as it has been, I have never really doubted it was the right choice for me, at least in the circumstances. There are choices I wouldn't be ready to make in order to reconstruct, but the type of procedure I underwent felt right on balance. But that's the point, despite the difficulties (which are not over - I am still waiting for a date for implant exchange , damn Covid!) it has always felt right, so I had no reason t reconsider. For me it's not so much about other people's reaction (if any) to lopsidedness but my own, And the possibility to "keep more of my body", that this reconstruction has given me.

It's so good to be free to find our own way when we can! Best wishes for your choices :-)

• Beekc
    Beekc Member Posts: 31
    Options

I cannot offer a reconsideration of reconstruction. I can affirm that as a retired grandma we have had two big celebrations since my April SM without recon. for our 50th anniversary, one with a Colorado family Reunion. I say this to encourage you that you will conclude this detour in life! But also, if you decide to live with one breast you may not think another thing about it, except possibly to be surprised in the shower occasionally because you forget about it all day!

I’m facing beginning Aromatase to decrease (remaining) estrogen which I do not want to do, to decrease chance of metastasis (by only 5%.) I’m posting about this on other chains hereand trying to read more. I wish you continued healthy recoveries. It’s been so valuable to know this forum is here, new friends!

B.

• juju-mar
    Options

imageLadies!

I feel great - I am on a girls hiking weekend in VA. The weather and scenery is perfect. Hope everyone is healing well.

Julie

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    Options

You look great! I really want a vacation when my treatment is done.

• juju-mar
    Options

I'm really glad my RO said it would be ok to have a break during radiation. I've had 7 treatments so far, 23 to go

• saltmarsh
    Options

Oh wow, Julie! You are the bravest! Glad you are having a good trip!

• Beekc
    Beekc Member Posts: 31
    Options

Awesome. What a shot! Congrats!

• pokemom1959
    Options

That is an amazing picture Julie! Hope you're almost done with your radiation by now. Hope everyone else is doing well.

I am finally healing after 3 surgeries. Should be starting chemo in another month. See my oncologist next week to get started on the AI. Good times.

• juju-mar
    Options

what chemo will you be on? My advice is to drink lots of fluids, walk daily and eat whatever you can. I did not lose weight during chemo, but didn't gain either. The steroids helped keep my appetite up. Good luck! So glad all surgeries are complete! I have 11 more radiation treatments to go, then done. It's been a long 11 months!

Juli

• pokemom1959
    Options

Believe it or not, I'm scheduled for surgery #4 on 9/14/21. This incision (on my non-cancer side no less) will just not heal! I'm still at least 2 months away from starting chemo. So frustrating.

• saltmarsh
    Options

Pokemom, I'm so sorry to hear your incision hasn't healed yet.

I hope everyone undergoing chemo and radiation are hanging in there!

I've started seeing some of you turning up in the Sept. surgeries thread and thought I should check back in. I just had my reconstruction and it seems everything has gone well, so it's time for me to heal up and try to move on. My husband and I had a really candid conversation last night about the possibility of recurrence, and I'm glad we did, but for now I just want to get this show on the road!