Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo April 2021

Options

Comments

• DH320
    DH320 Member Posts: 21
    Options

hi mamacure

Be careful with the keto diet. My husband and I went on it last year during covid. Let’s just say it didn’t work for me. First the weight came off, I lost 15pounds in three months. The food tastes great not like a diet at all. Well and then the pounds started creeping back on. The husband kept loosing and I was gaining plus it messed with my diabetes. I stopped it just ate the dinner I cooked (keto) and the rest of the day I went back to my normal routine. At least my sugar stopped bottoming out. The hubs lost 45pounds this last year and keeps it off. I gained about 10back. My oncologist told me not to diet during chemo. Oh well.

I’m having my second chemo tomorrow hoping it’ll turn out like the first one. Just dreading the neulasta shot.

Hope all goes well for you with the diet

• pchyen
    pchyen Member Posts: 96
    Options

Hi DH320, best wishes for smooth chemo session tomorrow.

Nicole had her 2nd AC today, she was told to take Advil in the morning to get headache under control early, so far so good. Chemo session was fast today as there was no wait to pick up pre meds and to wait for a chair/room. In and out just over 2 hours total.

• mamacure
    mamacure Member Posts: 256
    Options

yes, will be careful with KETO. I met with Integrative Oncologist & he said no hard core Keto, I can eat much fruit, 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice. Eat a salad a day++ eating lots of wild salmon on salad. Trying to avoid carbs so this will be helpful. Carbs turn to glucose then feeds cancer cells.... Also I can have small cup of coffee!!!!!!! He also recommended CoQ10 from a clean source & Zofran for nausea. No matcha or supplements day before day of day after chemo. He is also monitoring thyroid & other levels. He pointed out that my drinking cold ice water all day may not help with constipation. Makes sense. WBC went from 2 to 11 (after shot) to 4.5 (normal). Yesterday’s Abraxane went well with barely any nausea. Love not having steroids or pretreatments.

MO came by during infusion to check pimples/ sores on my head & face. Antibiotics but I asked for topical as not to mess up my gut even more. Accupuncturist noted more sores on left cancer side.

Good job everyone!! Stay positive!!!!!

• HopeHeal
    HopeHeal Member Posts: 137
    Options

This week I have also noticed swelling at my ankles, looks like edema, and am wondering if anyone here has experienced this side effect.

I completed round 3 last week and as I mentioned it really knocked out my appetite most days, unlike the first two cycles. It has been a challenge finding things I want to eat which makes advance meal planning difficult. I started on commercial fortified protein shakes and they have been very effective. I was not feeling well mentally I suspect because of lack of nutrition. Since starting the shakes my energy feels like myself again.

Mamacure, I am also concerned about feeding the cancer cells, but I guess I'll have to take my chances with the sweetened commercial shakes :-/. Sounds like your integrative is very effective. You were smart to protect your gut with topical antibiotics.

Pchyen, glad Nicole's treatments are going well. Sometimes my WBC have gone up but I have an inflammatory condition. They could also be up because of the inflammation in the breast.

• Mikeysmom925
    Mikeysmom925 Member Posts: 25
    Options

Good morning all,

I just had my 4th round of Taxotere and Cytoxan Friday, and I got very sick Friday night... horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea ... this has never happened to me before, especially not on the night after chemo so I actually thought maybe I had food poisoning. It’s Sunday morning and I’m much better but definitely not 100%. Has this ever happened to any of you that you got extremely sick the night after chemo? Usually my side effects are nowhere near this bad and happen about 6 days afterward. Just wondering bc it was a real scare for me. I honestly thought I might end up taking myself to the ER.

I hope everyone is feeling strong and well rested this morning and can enjoy the sunshine today. have a beautiful day,

Dawn

• DH320
    Options

hi pchyen just a question, is AC the only chemo drug Nicole is getting. I’m just wondering, I’m getting AC then some saline for a 30 min and the the Cytoxan drips in for an hour saline for 15 min and then taxotere for another hour.

Well since the Cytoxan dripped in slower the headache was not as bad this time. Of course the neulasta shot the day after chemo threw me back in bed. I’ve been sleeping most of yesterday and today. The pain is manageable this time. Doc told me I should use Zyrtec and aleve and inbetween a dose of Tylenol arthritis. It kind of works. I’m just tired all the time. I’m hopeful for a pain free tomorrow 😂

Hope y’all are doing better

Doris

• pchyen
    Options

Hi Doris, Nicole is on dose dense AC only for 4 rounds then another dose dense Taxol with Herceptin+Perjeta for 4 rounds due to HER2+.

Looks like you are getting Taxotere, and AC at the same time (hence TAC?). I don't think I've seen or read anyone doing Taxotere and AC together. It's usually AC then Taxol (paclitaxel) or vice versa. TAC seems to be a strong chemo cocktail! Nicole said the nurse told her to take Advil before the infusion and she didn't get any headache. Nicole is experiencing the same fatigue as you and then bone pain. She took Claritin but we might switch to Zyrtec(Reactine in Canada) as I don't think Claritin is working that well for her

Hi Dawn, hope you are feeling better!

• DH320
    Options

hi pchyen

The Zyrtec works better for me. There is still pain but it seems to be more manageable I take one Zyrtec and one Aleve and after six hours I take one Tylenol arthritis. This combo lets me at least sleep. dose dense ac must be horrible.
    me oncologist said at the beginning, she want to hit me with everything she has But my treatment is always three weeks apart since I have to watch out for my diabetes

Take care

Dor

• mamacure
    Options

I hear u Hopeheal, water, drinks, I'm having a hard time staying hydrated cuz it tastes gross. Taste bud is wack, I used to love apples, but now does not taste good. Trying to eat a variety of foods. All I want is carbs, pastries, toast, bagel, scones, something I shud stay away from. Tiny bit shud be ok. Whatever we need to survive the chemo. MickeysMom92, I would call your Oncologist ASAP and let them know. Use the after hours # if you have to. They want to know every reaction. Don't hesitate!

I found out scheduling missed 2 upcoming infusions so had to call to get is sorted out. We really have to watch out for our own treatments. This weekend was pretty good, just a touch of nausea (no meds taken) after Abraxane last Thu. I'm 50% done with first round before moving to A/C every 3 weeks. Not looking forward to Carbo this week. Poor teenage son is so worried about me he almost had a break down from all the stress (High school, college, calculus, mom being sick, coach yelling at him, etc.) I feel so bad, he had a good cry and now seems better. My chemo brain keeps telling him wrong info./date too. OMG. Usual nightly tuck and heart to heart talk with the other little one is spotty at best....... poor kids. Hang in there everyone, let us know how you are doing this week!

p.s. Also Peter, what pre-treatments is Nicole getting with A/C? I'm curious about this. Thanks!

• pchyen
    Options

Hi Doris, Nicole is type-1 diabetic and she is on insulin pump. While on AC her sugar has been high and she had to use more insulin. DD AC is kicking her butt right now but the bone pain from Neulasta seems to be worse than AC. We tried Zyrtec today but Nicole didn’t notice much if a difference.

Hi mamacure, try different drinks. Nicole takes water with lemon/orange, Gatorade, flavored fizzy water. Whatever you can drink! Nicole wants lots of carb as well, I guess body just want carbs when it is under stress.

For pre-med with AC Nicole gets Dexamethasone and Akynzeo an hour before infusion.

• DH320
    Options

hi mamacure,

I have the same issue with water bubbly or plain. It just tastes gross. I’m drinking Gatorade zero and Vitaminwater light (1-2g sugar) or the powder ( zero sugar) you can put in water bottles. Cold brewed herbal teas work as well.

If I those days were nothing sounds good to eat I’ll substitute a protein shake. At least I got something in my stomach that doesn’t want to come right back up.

Peter, I’m a type two diabetic still on oral meds. My doc gave me different doses of my meds. So when my sugar is high I take the higher doses pill and when it goes back to normal I stick with my normal dose. Insulin would be somewhat easier but since my sugar is usually controlled my doc thought I could handle keeping the oral meds

Dori

• emotionalpond
    emotionalpond Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hi all

Had my 3rd chemo on Wednesday. Still ok today...... Let's see what the week brings! On a good note though the doctor can no longer feel my tumor so hoping that's a amazing thing!

• DH320
    Options

hi emotionalpond

That’s great to hear. Hoping you don’t have to go through surgery after chemo.

Still battling some effects from the second chemo. But it seems I’m on the way to better days. 😊

Doris

• HopeHeal
    Options

That's great news Emotionalpond. Unfortunately I am not so lucky at this point.

I started out with a great response after the 1st round, the tumor shrunk in 1/2, at which point the MO said I might not have to go through the 2nd part of my tx which is Taxol. After the 2nd round the tumor was spread out like Swiss cheese, a great sign, and she said I was doing really well. But but yesterday, after the 3rd round, the tumor could still be felt and either got bigger or wasn't shrinking fast enough, so now I have to go through 12 weekly rounds of Taxol. Bummer. Good thing I planned ahead and bought the neuropathy cold packs.

DH320 I think surgery may be necessary anyway after shrinkage to remove and analyze the tissue.

Hope everything continues to go well for you EmotionalPond and all others in the group. Always great to hear good news.

• aram
    aram Member Posts: 320
    Options

Hopeheal, I am sorry to hear that it got bigger. May I ask you how does your MO do measurements? Do you get ultrasound?

• hahlyn
    hahlyn Member Posts: 128
    Options

Hello All

TC#3 completed on Thursday. I have been mostly okay until last night when I had to take the Zarxio shot. I really believe this is the culprit. I asked my MO if I could decrease the doses as 5 shots was brutal. So now I only have to complete 3 shots. Last night a bit after the shot I had shortness of breath I was hot then cold. This morning the bone pain is raging. Honestly I don't even want to take the other 2 shots. Other than how I'm feeling now it's the same side effects. However my nail beds on my thumbs have darkened and on 2toes.

Praying for a good rest of the weekend for all of us and for a good week with minimal side effects.

Hahlyn

• HopeHeal
    Options

Thank you Aram. It wasn't getting small enough to avoid the Taxol. So like you I have to move on to 12 rounds of it. My MO didn't post the size last time, only after the first round when it shrunk in half. Apparently it still is at the half mark, possibly more than last time but because she didn't post the last time I cannot compare it to now. She wants to do a work up this week of an MRI, ultrasound & mammogram.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,977
    Options

TODAY: Zoom virtual meet-up for people going through chemotherapy (caregivers welcome)

Tuesdays 1:00-2:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

• hahlyn
    Options

Hello

Finished TC #3 Last Thursday. Has anyone experienced a white coat on their tongue? I'm not sure if it's thrush or it's just a weird sensation on my tongue. Also I'm completely wiped out from this treatment. No energy at all. I feel so useless. My daughter asked if I was cooking tonight I just looked at her and she said I guess not😳.

Hahlyn

• DH320
    Options

hi hahlyn

I get this white coating every time after treatment. Usually around the fourth day, it’s followed by the mouth sores. Even though I start rinsing with the baking soda salt mix it still shows up

Doris

• HopeHeal
    Options

Hi Hahlyn, it's interesting you mentioned that because after this 4th round I have the coating, coupled with a very dry feeling mouth and throat. Drinking liquids and eating wet foods (fruit, soups, etc.) has been helping. I also rinse with a gentle organic type mouthwash (alcohol free).

• hahlyn
    Options

Thanks DH320 and HopeHeal.

I"ve been trying to drink more liquids and get in more fruits...I was just hoping there would be no new side effects. Also the fatigue is just awful this time. Just taking one day at a time and trying not go into a crying fit.

Hahlyn

• HopeHeal
    Options

Hahlyn,

For me the SE's have been different each time, it's strange. Round 3 knocked out my appetite, round 4 appetite was normal. Mouth sores after round 2, none at 4, & other such differences.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,977
    Options

TODAY: Zoom virtual meet-up for people going through chemotherapy (caregivers welcome)

Tuesdays 1:00-2:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

• pchyen
    Options

Hope everyone’s treatment is going well!

Nicole will be getting her last Dose Dense AC treatment on Thursday, yay! She has been a trooper and I am really proud of her!

She met with the MO today and MO stated there are improvements. There is reduction of the tumour and skin on her breast that exhibit peau d'orange is way less and disappears completely when she lays down.

Scans will most likely be scheduled sometime in July to see how things are going (will have 1-2 treatments of Taxol +HP treatments then). Hoping Taxol +HP will continue to kill the cancer!

• mamacure
    Options

Congrats Ppchyen & Nicole on the last AC this week! Wow. Did she get 4 rounds every 2 or 3 weeks?

I have my Abraxane (taxol) #10 this Thursday. My heart rate is elevated so monitoring it closely, it's likely due to low red blood cells.

I can't wait until my 4 ACs are done. So happy for you guys!

• pchyen
    Options

Hi Mamacure, Nicole had AC every 2 weeks for 4 rounds. Then onto Taxol every 2 weeks for 4 rounds. Noticed you are T4b n1, same as Nicole.

Is your AC every 2 weeks or 3 weeks?

• HopeHeal
    Options

Hi Mamacure, my heart was also beating out of my chest toward the end of AC. My rbc's were low so as you said likely the cause. I took my cal/mag pills and that helped alleviate it. I'm now on weekly taxol for 12 rounds.

• pebee
    pebee Member Posts: 96
    Options

Hi Everyone -

I was in the April 2011 group - and I just want to let you know - you are in my thoughts and prayers. It will be done soon.

• mamacure
    Options

Thanks for stopping by and praying/encouraging us pebee!!! Appreciate you!

Thanks pchyen & HopeHeal. My AC will be 4 rounds every 3 weeks with Keytruda. Doc said most likely Neustela shot after each. I will ask my doc about cal/mag pills, thanks for that tip!

Feeling pretty good today before getting beat tomorrow, anxious to finish this course and move on to AC. Fingers crossed.

My Onc said I am taking the chemo worse than average, but carbo was no joke. Glad I can skip the 4th round of that awfulness.

Take care everyone! Keep us posted on how you are doing. {{{{{hugs}}}}}}