Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

May 2021 Surgeries

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited May 2021
    Options

Excuse us for chiming in but we're hosting our first Virtual Meet-up in one hour for those who have been recently diagnosed. If you would like to join, Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwoc-ugr...

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Thanks! The Mods

• monarchandthemilkweed
    monarchandthemilkweed Member Posts: 151
    edited May 2021
    Options

I’m so happy to be on the other side of surgery! I’m not home yet. Tomorrow I’ll get home but doing ok!

• Carlsoda
    Carlsoda Member Posts: 120
    edited May 2021
    Options

let the healing begin Monarch! Gentle hugs!!

• historygeek
    historygeek Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2021
    Options

Same way I felt Monarch, sending healing thoughts!

• dulcea
    dulcea Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2021
    Options

Lille Thanks for sharing your experience.

You make it sound manageable, just a little inconvenient.

I'm glad I have a recliner I inherited from my parents. It's electric and stands you up too! Should I ask my two twenty-something sons to help with the undies? HA! They would be horrified. I guess I could go commando for a few days (as long as I can wipe that is!). My husband will be there as well so I'll have lots of help.

Congrats Monarch on being on the other side. I can't wait to be there myself. Rest up.

Tomorrow is my big day. I feel pretty good and I'm ready.

• Carlsoda
    edited May 2021
    Options

good luck tomorrow dulcae! Let the nurses pamper you while you are there! They sure do a good job!!

• Hasta
    Hasta Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Ladies, I had my mx surgery on May 4th and had one drain removed today and other is schedule to be removed this Friday. Is there anything I can do to reduce the drainage? For example will too much physical activity (or too little) increase drainage, how about salt intake? It's been a week and I'm still getting around 60-70 cc of fluid from the remaining drain.

I was surprised that the pain was not enough to take the pain killers. The feeling of being on the pain killers was worse than the pain. They gave me no antibiotics. I had a TE under the skin but my implants will be under the muscle.

With much love, Hasta

• Carlsoda
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Hasta,

I really don’t know the answer but I remember a nurse mentioning that the drainage would increase with activity. I am not sure since I’ve just been so tired and just taking it easy with little walks here and there. I get my drain out on Thursday - can’t wait! Down to 10 cc twice a day!

Crazy how the pain isn’t too bad at all right?! I am so surprised! Where she took out the lymph nodes is the sorest. The rest is just starting to get itchy - maybe nerves starting to jump around?!

Hugs!!!

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

carlsoda, that’s so great you get your drains out. I can’t wait to get mine out. I can’t believe I can’t shower until these drains are oit

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

how’s everyone washing their hair if we can only sponge bathe. I read somewhere maybe someone here went to their salon to have their hair washed. That sounds like a nice idea.

• Carlsoda
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Monarch, I am allowed to shower and have been washing my hair in the shower. Just using my right hand/arm since I had UMX! Doctor just told hubs to hold the drain for me. I did almost faint once - overwhelmed with the changes to my body. But slowly getting used to it all! 🤣

Drain comes out tomorrow at 12:30! Can’t wait!! Then I can really start healing!!

Hugs to everyone!!

• historygeek
    edited May 2021
    Options

I'm about 2 weeks out from surgery. Another follow up today, 2 drains removed & 2 remaining. But I do get to take a shower! Yay! Small section of necrosis on an incision that he'll remove & re-stitch on Monday. Other than that he thinks everything looks really good.

Pathology was clear also.

My big problem right now is muscle spasms in my back & shoulders.

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

History geek- wow I bet the two drains removed is so nice. And you get to shower! I have a follow up in a week and hope I can shower after that check up. Wonder why my surgeon says no showers.

• dulcea
    edited May 2021
    Options

I am now on the other side. Phew!

It was pretty painful just out of surgery but the additional meds helped.

I had two catheters placed in my back for a spinal block. (this is not an epidural and is a fairly new way to provide pain relief). These come with two bags attached to them!! Bigger than the drains. So now I have three drains and two bags of anesthetic to carry around. Ugh! Thankfully the anesthetic comes out after three days but I'm sure there will be pain afterwards. It is very weird right now to touch my chest and it being completely numb. Another way I figured out to carry all this stuff is just turn your bathrobe or sweatshirt inside out instead of cutting them to reach the pockets from the inside.

The nurses were impressed that I could just sit up in bed without using my arms. I must have a good core. I guess all that yoga paid off.

I can use my arms for some things but not others which surprised me. I couldn't even open the pill bottle!

I only have a very thin bandeau going across my chest that my pumps are pinned to, and two pieces of a big gauze thing over each breast.

I asked the nurse to put in and take out the urinary catheter when I was out and she obliged. I hate those things!

I am having a lot of trouble with my throat. It's very sore and I sound very gravelly. I'm assuming this is from having a tube in there for 4 1/2 hours. Oh and the muck mouth! Definitely bring mints with you! Toothpaste seemed to make it worse.

historygeek what do you mean the pathology was clear? Did the biopsy get the whole tumor?

Best wishes everyone!

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

dulcea, so glad you are on the other side!! Well done! Yes waking up from surgery was hard. My head was so dizzy and woozy. My throat hurt terribly and my voice was hoarse too.

I hate the catheter too. When I awoke I felt for my breasts first then felt to see if I had a catheter in. I didn’t and was so happy then promptly closed my eyes again.

Hope everyone rests well tonight. I’ve slept so much better at home.

• historygeek
    edited May 2021
    Options

Dulcea, I meant my lymph nodes & any other samples they tested after surgery were clear. So, I'm hoping the mastectomy got rid of it all.

So glad y'all are doing so well after surgery. Now we heal one day at a time. 😁

• lille
    lille Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2021
    Options

Checking in to see how everyone's healing is going and glad to see all of the good news so far. I remember picking up a coffee mug the morning after my surgery and being confounded that it was so heavy. While surgery is no fun and it's a /major/ deal I realized that it was something I can get through far more easily then navigating the emotions, thoughts, and feelings that came before, during, and after. I was relieved to get through surgery as well though I hadn't realized that it was really just the start of it all. The amount of appointments is mind boggling at first, then becomes the new normal, then all of a sudden seems to stop dead and I'm sitting at home thinking ... don't I need to be somewhere, what do I do with all this time? With each change I had to mentally reset.

As for the itching. Oh boy. Devil

That was far worse than the initial pain right after surgery. It started a week or two after surgery and it was a searing itch. I stopped wearing any shirt with a collar for the next month as the slightest brush of fabric drove me to madness. It was mostly in the evenings/over night. Eventually it faded to just itching like crazy for another month or so. I still have moments were the nerves go a little haywire and I want to itch a spot that has no sensation.

Also I'm envious of a motorized recliner! I wish I had one now (even though I don't need it).

• btwnstars
    btwnstars Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hello ladies...I too am on the other side of surgery! Glad to read everyone is healing up well. The oncoplastic reduction was more the major surgery for me, vs the lumpectomy. My PS said it went "exceptionally well."

I had to get up at 4am to be at the hospital by 5:30! I knew I had to do pre-surgery stuff, but didn't realize how involved it was. Getting the ink/dye injected for the node and then having wires placed by radiologist, who happened to be the first one I had that biopsied my cancer. I have to say all the women that worked in imaging, the techs and operating nurses, were so great and caring. Kept placing warm blankets on me. So by the time I got to surgery I was so tired and they gave me the relaxer, I remember being wheeled and saw the operating room doors, but then I was out! I was kinda bummed i didn't get to see inside the OR and see my doctors again. I have a friend who is an oncologist PA and she said that's a blessing! maybe so.

Anyway, this wrap job they did is definitely saving me. They want me to take it off tomorrow and I can shower, but I am allowed to put the ace bandage back and I think I will. The compression feels good. I've taken off work for the rest of week and glad I did. Truly taking it easy today, but I think I will try to be a little more up tomorrow. The recliner is a life saver, for some reason it feels good to lie back and sort of keep your chest up, when I am upright I guess the gravity makes it hurt more. I am just doing tylenol along with the other meds and doing ok with pain.

My surgeon only took 1 node and I will know that pathology next week when I visit them for follow-up. It feels good to be past surgery but also like this is still the beginning in this process. I've had good support and really can't complain.

I wish you all well as we heal and move thru this process. Happy to share any more info if anyone has questions.

eta: Yes, my throat was the worst part from tube! But it's almost completely back to normal now, like 24 hrs later. But last night I had trouble talking and tried not to. The recovery nurse was giving me ice chips, like everytime she wandered away I was like hey! It felt good.

• Carlsoda
    edited May 2021
    Options

congratulations BtwnStars!! You are done!! Ice and whethers original drops help my throat. Funny this time is wasn’t as bad as when I got my lumpectomy. Maybe skill of nurse? I also don’t remember much of my operating room. I remember getting in and seeing the lights but that’s it - I was gone. Not even sure if I was transferred over to the operating table.

Today the drain came out - yahoo! I didn’t even feel anything. Now it’s keeping up with my exercises and I don’t need to go back to the surgeon albeit I need someone to sign my release form to go back to work.

I was able to get a couple of questions answered that were bugging me ie: angiolymphatic invasion means there were cancer cells in the lymph and blood vessels but since my lymph nodes were clear it was caught in time! Whew!! Now I can relax and not worry about cancer loose somewhere in my body!

Sending hugs to all of you!

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

well done btwnthestars!

I go Tuesday formy follow up with the plastic surgeon and hopefully get some drains out.

I missed my breast surgeons call yesterday evening when I was in the bathroom. She said she would call with results. I called back and it went to voicemail mail. Bummed. Hoping I hear from her today. I got no results after surgery except that if went well. She took two lymph nodes. The waiting is hard.

• dulcea
    edited May 2021
    Options

BtwnStrs, welcome to the other side!

You sound great!

My pain pumps are almost out of meds and I am afraid when they are done that it will hurt like hell. Why are people afraid to take the opioids? They are helping me a lot!

The recliner was a great idea. I can snuggle the pain pumps and drains beside me and have no worries of me rolling on them or even rolling on to my incisions. I am sleeping pretty well in it.

Throat is still hoarse but better.

I do remember the surgery room and I chatted with my BS and the anesthesiologist as they tied my arms down. Then I remember the BS shaving my armpit and then it was lights-out!

Lille - what was your itching from? The healing process? My antibiotics have already been switched due to a rash all over my trunk but I am thankful there is no itching involved. I have a history of post surgery skin itching!!

Congrats carlsoda on having your drain removed! I am so jealous!

Keep on healing everyone!

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

got path results. Lymph nodes clear and nothing changed between biopsy and surgery. Tumor was 5.5 mm. They did note atypical lobular hyperplasia which had never shown up on any imaging and more fibroademos on both breasts. I did have a moment Of doubt about the masectomy. But having been through an excisional biopsy 13 years ago and carrying the chek2 gene and now with these path results I feel very confident in my decision

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

I’m a little distressed that my breasts seem so different. One seems higher and bigger than the other. I see the plastic surgeon tomorrow. Well I see her PA.

• btwnstars
    btwnstars Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2021
    Options

Monarchandthemilkweed glad to hear your path was expected for the most part. I am not sure on surgery, but I know I've read it takes a while for things to really settle? Like the swelling and all may be on and off for a while so could be the way it looks. Remember, as my PS says, they are sisters not twins! Breasts are always different sizes, shapes, etc. And when you have clothes on, no one will ever know the difference. I am sure we all notice the subtle differences much more, and I know for some that is all that matters. Maybe you can get some clarity at your visit.

I am recovering ok, but I def noticed once the meds/local anesthetic wore off. Was more sore yesterday and today. Also Saturday after showering I noticed a little loop sticking out the bottom of incision site. Almost panicked but then read it can happen that the body pushes a stitch out! I called PS and he said it's probably ok and he can look at it this week (tomorrow, thank goodness!). Since it's right where bra line rubs, I just stuck a small piece of gauze there to cover it and that is more comfortable, has seemed ok.

Now I am starting to have that dreadful feeling again. Surgery is over and now it's waiting for path and next steps...I feel a little directionless right now, hopefully seeing surgeons tomorrow will help. Can't believe we are mid-way thru May!

Dulcea - I say take the meds if you want to! I didn't feel I needed them, but I was fully prepared to if I did. Everyone's body and level of pain different, so do what makes you feel most comfortable and rested. I'm a heavy sleeper, easily to sleep by nature, so I didn't feel I needed that extra push for recovering.

• STJA16
    STJA16 Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi,

I had surgery March 29 so I am a bit ahead of you.

Monarchandthemilkweed, my breasts are different. Rt Mastectomy and Left reduction. The Mastectomy started swelling about 48 hours after, especially under my arm where the nodes were removed. While it has gone down my PS said it will be months before it is completely down..if ever. Its not huge but I notice it. Some fluid just stays there. My BS explained that the body sends fluids to places that need healing, so its doing it job. She encouraged me to massage gently as i could which I did not listen to and now i do feel scar tissue forming and it is hard so ask about that. But i am week 8 and I do feel a lot better and breasts are feeling ok, healed well.

BtwnStars, I also had a spot open with some drainage, then around week 6 it opened. No pain. PS said gravity often opens the last stitch. Took about a week to heal. I was surprised he did not stitch again. Just gave me an ointment and said to cover it with gauze or bandaid.

Started chemo and it has been difficult.

• STJA16
    STJA16 Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2021
    Options

Honeybair, Sorry to hear about your daughter and your past experience. I do believe she should be able to get a copy of the path report and that will tell more. I was asked to do an MRI after my biopsy even before all of those path results were back. I am sure we are all similar but unique but encourage more than moving directly to surgery. I have heard of may who did not need chemo so it is possible she fits into that criteria. But Oncologise will be abel to confirm. I am a bit late responding so hopefully by now you and your daughter have more into.

• historygeek
    edited May 2021
    Options

I'm so glad everyone is healing even if it's slowly.

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks out from surgery. He had to remove some necrosis on my incision today. He opened it all the way back open again & re-stitched it. Thankfully he said everything else in their looks really good.

I still hate the expanders & drains. Anyone else counting down the minutes to exchange surgery or drain removal?! 😁 I'll still have my 2 drains for 2 more weeks. He especially wanted to leave it in because of what he did today might increase some fluid.

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hey ladies, I’m 8 days out. Saw the PA today. She took 2/4 drains out. Feels so good. So they still don’t want me to shower yet. Ugh. My husband said when they pulled the drains out it was like a little snake slithering under my skin. The tube went across my chest. It did not hurt at all. Felt weird. PA really pulled. We talked about the asymmetry of my breasts. They assured me this is a work in progress. I guess I have to be patient. One day at time.

• monarchandthemilkweed
    edited May 2021
    Options

STJA, that’s helpful and interesting about swelling. I guess I’m very impatient. I’m sorry you are now dealing with chemo. I see the oncologist to get the final word on if I need chemo or not next week. Hang in there.

• Carlsoda
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well and slowly healing. I am doing better and better each day and hubs says my color has come back - could be the sun as I’ve been outside a lot! Quite a bit of swelling after they took the tube out but ice feels amazing!

Saw oncologist today and she said I am healing well! Got a few more tests coming up next week as well as PT! But not a surprise to me, will be starting chemo on June 3rd. She explained with the recurrence, moving to grade 3 and angiolympatic invasion it’s the only treatment plan she would recommend. She ordered a bone scan to make sure everything is clear (already had CT scans and they were fine) as well as the strength of the ER/PR + as they never did that during pathology. She feels that tamoxifen failed but the hormone strength will tell her for sure. I will be starting AI’s after chemo.

So that’s all my fun news! So bone scan next week and PT too! Hoping to get some arm movement back!

Sending hugs to you all!