Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kadcyla side effects

Options

Hi,

Like to know how tolerable Kadcyla is and it’s side effects.

Appreciate any comments.?

Comments

• sarawil
    sarawil Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi all!

I'm hoping others will revive the Kadcyla side effects thread. I was switched from Herceptin/Perjeta due to residual cancer post mastectomy. I had my first Kadcyla infusion (with decadron and zofran IV) three weeks ago and experienced the following side effects:

3 days after - thigh soreness, fatigue

4 - 6 days after - terrible headache X3 days with strong nausea

7+ days after - constipation and feeling like my food was not fully digesting, increased reflux, difficulty sleeping, fatigue

I am still having the GI issues. I contacted my oncologist's office and they recommended I drink more fluids (allegedly caused headache), take gas-x and Miralax. I am concerned that I will have worse side effects since I won't be receiving premeds this time.

My breast cancer was HER2 triple positive, stage III. I completed four rounds of AC, followed by 12 rounds of Taxol and five rounds of HP. I underwent bilateral mastectomies with immediate reconstruction about a month ago.

Thank you all for sharing and I am more than happy to answer any questions other may have for me.

-SW

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 106
    Options

I did 14 rounds of Kadcyla from October '22 through July '23. I had pretty much the same side effects as @sarawil. Days 4-6 were when I felt the worst. I had GI issues for the entire time, particularly queasiness, indigestion, reflux, and constipation. I took 2 stool softeners daily. Fatigue was an issue, but I don't know if it was the Kadcyla or continued effects of the chemo/surgery that preceded it. I'm on anastrozole now so the fatigue continues! I didn't have headaches, though, and I drank a lot of water. It wasn't the "breeze" that my MO said it would be, but it was definitely easier than chemo. I felt pretty normal a lot of the time.