Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Replacing breast implants

Options
2»

Comments

• veronicapoland2
    veronicapoland2 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I went to my PS last week who said basically the same thing. I have had these implants for 6 and a half years and although they are a bit misshapen and have some wrinkles they are not giving me a problem. He said, as did my oncologist, that they have not come across anyone who developed cancer from the textured implants. I figured I still have a few years before they may have to be switched anyway and maybe by then there will be other options for implants.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    Options

I have no problems with my Allergan 410 implants - and I'm at 10 years. I have had two breast MRIs and have regular breast ULS every two years and there have not been any issues. I'm not excited about surgery when it appears unnecessary. I know the 'average' shelf life of implants is around 10 years - but I'm not jumping into anything since I am healthy & happy.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

Just want to add that the threat of BIA-ALCL from the bio-cell covering on textured implants increases with time, but is still exceedingly rare. While the implants have been recalled by the FDA, that recall was only extended to implants on the shelf and not yet used, not those that have already been surgically implanted. Anyone with textured implants should have received a recall letter, but that letter should have also stated that surgical explant is not currently recommended even though those of us with textured implants were legally required to be notified of the current recall status. At this time the typical surgical risks to remove those implants are greater than the possibility of developing lymphoma from textured implants - that is not just my opinion, but the opinion of the FDA. They are advising not to explant if there are no medical problems. I did switch out my implants but I did it because I had a silent rupture inadvertently discovered during a routine MRI. Without the rupture I would not have had surgery, but while my PS was in there she did swap both and do some remedial work on the left side which has given me so many problems - all skin related. As far as the 10 year lifespan of implants, it is a bit of a misnomer as that is what the warranty time period is - meaning that if your implant fails within 10 years the manufacturer will pay for a new one, and contribute a set amount toward the surgical costs per whatever agreement you signed at the time of the implant surgery. It does not mean that the implant only lasts for 10 years and has to be replaced at that time.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

To support what MinusTwo and SpecialK said, I switched out my Allergan 410s at 13 years. I'd had the implants checked out by MRI a year or two earlier and they appeared to be fine so I had no plans to replace them - but then I was diagnosed again and decided to have a second MX. I had two implants, one on the previous breast cancer side where I'd had a UMX, and another very small implant that had been put in my formerly 'good' side for symmetry.

When they were removed, both implants were in absolutely pristine condition, as was my muscle/tissue surrounding the implants.

That's not to say that this would be the case for everyone, but it supports the fact that not everyone has problems and that yes, these implants can last well beyond 10 years.

• minustwo
    Options

Special - thanks for the 10 year clarification. I agree - my risk of surgery is higher than BIA-ALCL. especially since my PS can't guarantee not to "hit" more lymph nodes that might lead to even worse lymphadema.

Beesie - good to hear your report of 'pristine' condition after 13 years.

• veronicapoland2
    veronicapoland2 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I panicked prematurely and am now glad that I cancelled surgery. Especially since my PS said that the smooth implants could wrinkle and move and harden after awhile.

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688
    Options

Lots of good information! Now I have more questions for my pre-op appt on Monday. I'm still not sure if I am going to go through with surgery. The implants have been in 12 years and I know they won't last forever.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

Not sure if this is the right thread, but since this is about implants, figured I’d post here. I’m considering a prophylactic SMX on my good breast. I plan to discuss with my breast surgeon when I see her later this year. I had broached the subject earlier and we decided to wait. When I get it done, I’m thinking of getting smaller implants. Has anyone had that done? I’m a 36G/H and would like to drop a couple of cup sizes.

• roth59
    roth59 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I originally had Allergan anatomically shaped implants (left mastectomy with right augmentation for symmetry 5/2018) which were then replaced with round silicone gel implants (11/2019) due to grade IV CC on left side. Fat grafting would help with ripples and improve shape for me, but I am experiencing CC again and I am not sure how long I can last with the pain. I am going to ask for PT with ultrasound to try and avoid surgery. My PS said he would not do implants again. Other option is autologous "fat" procedure, but I am of slender build and would have to use buttocks. My PS has been telling me this is a more complex procedure, perhaps trying to discourage me (?) but I do not know how much longer I can stand the pain. Perhaps a different PS is in order? Anyway, in answer to your original question - I do not have a problem with the round implants. Fat grafting sounds like it would help. Yes I preferred the look of the shaped/textured implants, but most importantly I would like to be free from the chronic pain!

• minustwo
    Options

NS brown - sorry just seeing your post. I suggest you post your questions on Whippetmom's thread. Read the header and you'll know what information she needs to give you some advice.

Here's the link. https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    Options

Please seek other opinions…as many as you need

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

Thank you MinusTwo.

• worried410
    worried410 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am 7.5 yrs out with DCIS. Had a double mastectomy with expanders, then implants.. I just started having pain and swelling in my L breast. After researching I do have the recalled implants, ugh! I'm scared, and of course this started on a Friday. Calling my doctor on Monday . Any advice would be great. Hopefully it's nothing bad.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

worried410 - I'm sorry I can't help, but you've definitely come to the right place, so many members with a wealth of knowledge. I hope your pain turns out to be nothing.

• minustwo
    Options

Although the issues with the Allergan 410 implants are real, they are rare. I'm on year 11 with no problems. Hope your pain is something else.

• dulcea
    dulcea Member Posts: 105
    Options

I am scheduled for replacement in February. I had a BMX in May 2021 direct to implants. I just don't like the size of them.

The PS claims they weigh the breast tissue taken out and they replace it with the same size implants. Fine. So they may weigh the same as my breast tissue that was removed, but they are not the same shape. The implants are in the shape of thick pancakes. He explained it's more about getting the nipples in the middle blah, blah, blah. Whatever. They definitely are a lot smaller than my original breasts. He said he can go one size bigger without expanders.

It took me a while to decide to actually do this. I sat with him and asked him a million questions. The main takeaway of our meeting was that the worst is over and this should be a piece of cake. I think he down-played the recovery involved. He made it sound like I could go back to work the next day if I didn't have to shovel the snow (he actually said that).

I am curious as to what I can really expect here. What is this recovery really like? I know everyone is different but since my skin is being cut into again, what is a reasonable amount of time to take off from work as a paraprofessional (academic disabilities). Did people take more than Tylenol for pain relief? Is there some other post I should be searching through for this info? Also, I forgot to ask him if I would need to where the band across my chest again to keep the implants from settling too high. Anyone?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• DaughterOfBarb
    DaughterOfBarb Member Posts: 29
    Options

@Dulcea, I can’t answer your questions but I’m in a similar boat. Double NSM, though not direct to implants…was supposed to be but ended up with expanders and had exchange surgery in November. Was told at consult by my PS that I’d need 500-600 ccs to get to my pre-mastectomy size (I had 400cc silicone implants from augmentation in 2000). But when it came time for exchange surgery my PS said he’d only do 450 ccs because of concern with how the nipples would align. Blah, blah, blah! He never mentioned that during my initial consult or any other appointments. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. He ended up doing 465 ccs, but these are very narrow on my chestand at least a full cup size (probably 1.5) smaller that’s my pre-mastectomy size. I have a consult for a second opinion next week to replace them. Hoping this PS will get me closer to my pre-mastectomy size. I would have been fine with being a bit smaller, but these things disappear in clothing. I will say my exchange surgery was a breeze compared to mastectomy and I think changing them out would have a similar recovery. Under the muscle is a harder recovery vs. over. Regarding bands, I think it that depends on the surgeon. I never had to wear one. I used mostly OTC pain meds and was out of work for 2.5 weeks but could have worked (office/desk job) after a week. Was more fatigued than anything. Good luck to you.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

My breasts came out bigger than before. They are heavy and uncomfortable. I see my PS on this week to discuss a reduction.

With regards to your question about recovery, like you said everyone is different, but I found the exchange surgery to be very easy even with fat grafting. I was ready to go out and about the next day(I didn't though), sore, but no real pain. I took Tylenol occasionally to ease the arenas form the lipo. They will put you into a surgical bra and probably see you within a week. At least that was my experience. I had surgery Friday, the way I felt, I probably would've went back to work by the next Wednesday, if even that long. Much easier than the BMX and even that surgery was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Hope this helps!

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

I had a revision surgery to remove scar tissue and change the implants from my first surgery which was NP direct to implant. It was such a tremendously easy recovery compared to the first. Very little pain and I was up and going with the exception of the fat grafting host site - my inner thighs. If you do fat grafting at all, that will most likely be your more problematic pain area. Those inner thighs yeeesh wouldn't do that again. Cannot believe some folks do that voluntarily.

• dulcea
    Options

So I guess 4-5 days per the PS is really not reasonable.

@DaughterofBarb Thanks for the info. I am so glad to hear that the exchange surgery was a breeze. I hope it's that way for me too.

@Serendipityo9 You give me hope! But you didn't think a mastectomy was bad? I always thought I had a lot of pain tolerance but I was eating those prescription meds for a while. I had to go back and ask for more! I hope this isn't similar to a mastectomy because then I'll be in trouble!

@Rah2464 Thank you so much for your input, too! I may need some fat grafting in the future due to some divots (which the PS blames on the BS) but that will be down the road. This exchange may help with some of those issues.

I currently have 380cc implants. I don't want huge breasts but at least close to what I had would be nice. I think the issue too is that my old lady 57 year old boobs were somewhat saggy (but still nicely shaped) and I was able to gather them into a bra. These things are just hard flat pancakes. They also have a wider base. The surgeon kept say they would "puff out" but so far, no puffing. I am very thin, but I have a bit of a belly, and now my belly sticks out more than my chest.

I am also petrified of doing this and making things worse. Could one size up be too big? My nipples are centered and even now but could I mess that up? I really just wanted a one and done surgery. I hate cancer.

Thanks for your responses and thanks for listening.

• dulcea
    Options

Yay! I had my capsulotomy and implant exchange yesterday. I feel so good considering what I went through! I probably could have gone to work today, but still feel a bit loopy from anesthesia. I am only taking tylenol and I probably don't even need that.

I didn't realize how bad the contracture was until now. It feels great. Praying it stays that way!

I have to wear the bandeau again for a minimum of a month so the implants don't rest too high.

I am quite pleased with this recovery so far!

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but does anyone know if insurance will cover bras for a BMX with implants? I have had a hard time find bras that actually fit these new shapes. Their base is wider than my original girls and if I go wider in the cup then the front of the bra has nothing in it. I feel like a visit to a professional bra expert is warranted. Sorry if I'm not making sense! I'm still a little loopy.

• minustwo
    Options

Dulcea - by all means, visit a professional. Most Nordstrom's stores have a fitter trained for BC patients & you can make an appointment. ANd yes, insurance paid for a bra for me as long as I had a prescription with the correct codes. Nordstroms knew all that information. Don't know the limit or how many a year, but it's a start.

• dulcea
    Options

@MinusTwo, Thank you. We have a Lady Grace store nearby, who only cater to breast cancer patients but I didn't know if their service extended to implant patients as well. I know my mother went there once a year for her new bras but she stayed flat after her mastectomy. It's good to know there are other places like Nordstroms too! It sounds like I need a prescription first though! I am only a few days out from replacement so I'll have to wait until things settle down.

On another note, I had a successful replacement of both my implants as well as having a capsulotomy. I am now hearing a lot of sloshing going on inside my breasts every time I move. At first it makes me giggle, but then I worry whether or not this is normal. I know when I had my BMX, I had drains of course, so I know fluid is normal. But should I be hearing all this sloshing? It actually sounds like farts! Ha! It doesn't seem like there is too much and my breasts are ready to burst at all. I am pretty comfortable. Of course, no one mentioned it to me at the hospital and there is nothing about it in the discharge papers. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this. The hospital will call me tomorrow to check in so I will ask them then, but in the meantime, any one else experience this?

I work in an elementary school and I just can't see myself working around these kids with farting breasts!

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    Options

The sloshing is normal. Mine farted and squeaked for a week or so.