Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TNBC w/significant lymph node involvement

Options
Kimbie1139
Kimbie1139 Member Posts: 3

MO just informed me yesterday that the lymph node biopsy showed positive for the breast cancer. Stated that the treatment would be different than previously planned. No surgery or radiation and Abroxane (chemo). Said that I would be in chemo for the rest of my life. I was too shocked to ask questions. Anyone been through this?

Comments

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    Options

Hi Kimbie.

When I was first diagnosed, the BS and MO initially thought I would be stage 2b or c. As more tests came in, I was staged 3c/4 because the lymph nodes in the supraclavicular area were involved. MO wanted to switch my treatment from curative intent to palliative. I, with the help of the breast surgeon, pushed for curative intent. I had AC, then taxol. The cancer responded to the chemo pretty well, but I did not get PCR, so after my lumpectomy and radiation, I was on Xeloda for 6 months. It’s been 2 years since DX, and so far I’m NED (no evidence of disease). I’m still holding my breath and crossing all fingers until year 5. I’m glad I went with curative intent. All the chemo wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t as bad and I feel like it gave me the best chance at survival.

• Kimbie1139
    Options

Thank you!  It sounds like I am in the same boat that you were in. I feel as if the dr. just told me that there is not much that can be done and they are doing the minimal. I am going to push for much more than what they are suggesting. I haven’t even seen a surgeon yet and I am supposed to start the chemo on Tuesday. Again. Thank you. 

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Kimbie, sorry that you are here and dealing with all this new information. You haven't shared much with us (which is fine!) so we don't have much to go on, but this seems to be a situation that calls for a second opinion. It's quite possible your MO has a good plan for you and you should hear the doctor out, and ask about the options. But having another approach from a different doc might help you understand better and be able to choose your treatment plan.

All the best to you.

• yellowdoglady
    yellowdoglady Member Posts: 52
    Options

Good for you! I was stage IIB with 4 of 14 lymph nodes taken involved and told them to throw the book at it. That was 2008. No sign of that nasty critter in all these years

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Just a voice of hope here.

I had a 4 cm, 2-part tumor, several malignant nodes in armpit upon diagnosis.

I got a pCR from chemo (had Lx & rads too)-- and am three years out with no problems. PUSH for curative intent. TNBC responds to chemo!!

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    Options

Kimbie, I finished chemo 3 weeks ago, had MRI and I had a complete response to the chemo. I was staged the same as NorCalS. I had AC/Taxol dense dose, like others have said here, TNBC responds to chemo. I'll be having DMX on July 23 with nymph node removal, followed by radiation. Not sure if there will be oral chemo yet. Aim for the curative intent, there are a lot of long term survivors out there, and I am going to fight to be one of them!

NorCalS-6 months on Xeloda, was it as rough as AC or more like Taxol? Any advice on this is appreciated.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    Options

Are you getting ready to start Xeloda, NatureYogi? Oral capecitabine (Xeloda) was far easier on me than IV chemo, especially after I got a dose reduction. They will usually start you on some outrageously high dose, like 2500mg 2x a day, but will normally reduce dosage if the side effects get to be too much.

The worst issues for me were gastrointestinal upset (take with food, preferably something with protein and a little fat, like yogurt) and hand foot syndrome. Both were manageable if you stayed on top of them.

There are a couple of threads specifically for Xeloda. You may want to check them out.

Good luck. Hope it's an easy regimen for you.

Trish

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    Options

NatureYogi,

For me, Xeloda was easier than AC, but more tedious than taxol. Xeloda gave me headaches, which is not a common symptom and some nausea. I reduced my daily walks on Xeloda to spare my feet. I had very minor, if any, hand foot syndrome. The skin on my palms and finger peeled a bit, but it was manageable. I was prescribed 3000 mg a day (3 - 500mg in the morning, 3 -500mg in the evening) for 14 days, then a break for 7 days.I was supposed to start with 4500 mg a day, but my ANC was too low, so MO started me at a lower dose. Since my ANC stayed around 1.0 during Xeloda, MO kept me at 3000 mg. I had one small interruption in treatment due to headaches in the beginning, but after a brain MRI showed no sign of cancer, I was able to proceed.

• Kimbie1139
    Options

Thank you all for the information and inspiration. I am at MD Anderson now. Getting ready to see the MO. wish me luck on getting something started!!!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

If your TNBC is high grade consider carboplatin in regimen...

• NatureYogi
    NatureYogi Member Posts: 135
    Options

Trishyla and NorcalS, thank you for the info on Xeloda. I just finished chemo and Taxol has left me with numb fingers and toes, hope it goes away. My surgery is July 23 and after that radiation. The oral chemo will come later.

Kimbie, let us know your update.

• NinjaMeow
    NinjaMeow Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi there- sorry you had to join us but this is a great group. It sounds like you need more info and hope your MD Anderson visit went well. Keep us posted