Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone had omental flap reconstruction?

Lifo45
Lifo45 Member Posts: 5
edited February 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

Hi,

I'm considering omental flap reconstruction (a technique by which omentum from the abdominal area is used to reconstruct a breast). Has anyone had this procedure done? If so, I would love to heat from you.

I'd love to learn how that experience went for you in terms of hospital stay, recovery at home, pain/scarring, and any side effects of complications. Thanks!

Comments

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698

I've never heard of an omentum reconstruction procedure. Do you mean a DIEP flap, or TRAM flap procedure? Those are common reconstructive surgeries after a mastectomy. Both use abdominal fat, tissue and veins to rebuild a breast. If that's the case, you will probably get more responses if you post a question using those terms.

If it is actually called "Omentum" reconstruction, maybe you can elaborate, as it doesn't seem to be a procedure any of our members are familiar with.

Good luck. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Trish

• Lifo45
    Lifo45 Member Posts: 5

To clarify for those who are curious, omental flap reconstruction is not the same as DIEP or TRAM. So no, I don't mean DIEP or TRAM.

Women who have had omental flap can chime in. I would love to know how experience went for you in terms of hospital stay, recovery at home, pain/scarring, and any side effects of complications.

For those who are not familiar with the procedure and are curious about it, it's covered in the major cancer journals. Here's a link to one of many papers on the technique.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC59687...

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,742

Lifo45,

Like trishyla, I have not heard of an omental flap. Thank you for the explanation. Did you try using the search function to see if anyone has previously posted about this procedure? Take care

• sdrayton
    sdrayton Member Posts: 3

Hi, Lifo45.

I hope I'm not too late for you with this info.

Yes! I had an omental flap reconstruction in November of 2020 and am pretty thrilled with the results. I was patient #17 at Stanford Hospital to undergo the procedure for my DCIS local recurrence after nearly 17 years (!) in remission. Aside from my initial lumpectomy, it's the only surgery I've ever undergone, and it was a success.

It was a 13 hour procedure. I know, an eternity. I stayed four nights in the hospital, a night longer than expected due to my GI system not cooperating with the pain killers (opioids). The most difficult part of the recovery was from the laparoscopic procedure in my abdomen. They have to cut through muscle, so that was pretty sore, but it was the unexpected pain in the front of the shoulders due to them injecting me with gas to perform the laparoscopy. It lasted about four days.

I'm happy to share more info if you need it. Please DM me.

Take good care.