Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation August 2021 - Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

Jen - I'm done on the 11th, so a week from Monday. Cannot come soon enough for me.

<3<3<3

• mainejen
    mainejen Member Posts: 148
    Options

Ivy: Now THAT is a feeling I'm very familiar with - that it cannot come soon enough! OMG doesn't that perfectly describe the misery of enduring these treatments! Ok, the 11th! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm glad you have a break this weekend. Ugh, let's get you through with this!

Loads of love,

Jen

• mainejen
    Options

Ivy: Didn't you say that you started noticing little bits of hair on your head around week 10 after your last infusion? Well, I'm 100% sure now: it's been 10 weeks and 2 days since my last infusion and I definitely have tiny, wispy, thin hairs all over my head now! My hair used to be thick, coarse, curly and really impossible to manage, so we'll see what happens. But I am SO RELIEVED that there is actually something REAL happening on my head now and although you can still see baldness, the hair follicles are waking up! HOORAYYY!!! I know you say it took many months before you were ready to stop wearing a wig - and I'm ok with that, as long as I know it's coming - eventually. And now I think it is. I was super super super super scared that I'd be in that small percentage group (again) that doesn't have hair grow back ever. So at least that is not on my list of things to be worrying about now. LOL.

Ivy: Your support through this process has meant more than words can say. I've been thinking of you constantly and I'm just so grateful. xo

Love you - and all of the women here,

Jen

• tinkerbell65
    tinkerbell65 Member Posts: 48
    Options

HI All, Thank you for the support. I posted on this thread once, and then couldn't find it again. (I forgot to hit "favorite")

I appreciate everyone's stories, and feel for you all. we are all going through this together, and the support here is incredible. My last radiation treatment will be October 12. A couple of days ago, i hit a wall. I was SO exhausted, just to the point of feeling like not moving. It came on so suddenly, it was unreal. The dog was asking to go out and it took every ounce of energy I had to walk to the door and let her out. I feel like I"ve aged from 65 to 80.

A week after the radiation is done, I'm scheduled to start on Letrozole. I am not looking forward to that.

I have ordered a pack of 3 sports bras from amazon, 2 camisoles from macy's, and 4 different bras from Ana Ono. I also have a couple of tank tops. Nothing is perfect. camisoles and tanks, if I move around, tend to irritate my nipple, (and the spot on the other side where a nipple used to be). Bras feel good for a while, until the band starts to irritate my incisions. I think I might try the suggestion of a bra over a camisole.

This whole thing sucks, and it doesn't help that we're all still dealing with the pandemic in addition to this.

• mainejen
    Options

Tinkerbell65: Welcome back. So glad you found us again! And I'm so so so sad to hear you're exhausted. It is so depleting, isn't it. And unless you've experienced this sort of "hit a wall" fatigue, it is hard to explain. Unfortunately, I know precisely the feeling you're describing and I'm just impressed you go to the door to let your dog out! XO

October 12th...almost there! I know it feels like a lifetime away, but you're so close. You've got this! I thought I'd never ever ever make it to the last day. It took me a full week after my last treatment to even process that it was done. You are right. This whole thing sucks and the pandemic makes it even worse.

Sending love and giant hugs (in which neither of us squish the painful parts accidentally lol).

Jen

• Aklynna
    Aklynna Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hello all!

I will be starting radiation later this month, probably on the 18th.I came here looking for some advice from those who have recently gone thru radiation. My cousin's wedding is on Nov 13. If all goes according to plan, I will have my last radiation session the day before. 20 sessions total with the last week being boosts.

The wedding is about 2 hrs away. I will most likely have to drive myself. There is the option of booking a room near the reception. The ceremony is at 2, cocktail hour at 3:30, reception to follow. Pretty sure it's going to be a rather formal event.

I know that everyone tolerates rads differently…but what do you think, I am going to be up for this??

• serendipity09
    Options

Jen - WOOHOOO for hair coming in!! I'm excited for you. I could've stopped wearing my wig long before, but I just couldn't. I was so uncomfortable with my appearance. I finally stopped wearing it once and for good (hopefully) in June. I have a good 5 or 6 inches of curly thick hair. Can't wait for it to be even, but I'm not complying, I swear.

Thank you for the kind words, you are too sweet! I had a very difficult time last year and felt so alone. I promised myself this time around I would not do it alone and so here I am! I'm so glad I could help, even if it was from a distance. You too, along with everybody else of course, have been a great support to me and I am truly grateful for you and all of you as well. From the bottom of my heart...THANK YOU!

Tinkerbell - 7 more to go! I'm done on the 11th. I had a hard time at first, but last week too hit me something awful, but we are almost there! Like Esther, I too pray for all of us every time I'm in the machine and I think and pray for you all on the weekends too.

Have a wonderful evening!

• mainejen
    Options

Hello Aklynna,

Everyone is different, and also, each person handles the physical aspects of this process differently. So there's that, before I give personal input. Perhaps you can wait and see before making a decision one way or the other? Maybe wait until the last week before you are done with treatments to see how you feel and what side effects you are experiencing? I wouldn't recommend committing to going to the wedding just yet. Radiation is not a predictable experience because we all respond differently - and yet it is a very serious thing to do to your body. It doesn't hurt as it is happening (meaning, during the actual zapping), but it has a cumulative impact on many levels - and it is very intense for your body to endure it - even if you endure it very well.

One of my closest friends had surgery and then radiation a number of years ago (in her 50's back then) and she didn't have chemo and she warned me in advance of the fatigue she experienced. She used to pack a chair in her car trunk and on the way back from treatments, she'd pull over at a park and place the chair somewhere and then sleep/rest before continuing to drive. So fatigue may be a thing you face. She also had serious skin side effects that she did not tell me about - until I was done and was experiencing the skin stuff myself. Let's just say - skin impact is real. For some, not as bad as for others.

I faced fatigue - there were days toward the end when I simply couldn't fathom driving myself to treatment because I was so overcome with exhaustion. It's impossible to know - we all take this so differently. Also, For me: I had chemo immediately prior to radiation - so that may have made my experience much harder? I don't know....and it sounds like I had the same amount of radiation you're going to have - but I had it on my breast as well as in the nodes areas (above my breast around my neck and under arm, etc.). We changed plans back and forth but in the end, I ended up with 20 treatments and the last 4 were boosts. So - for me, there was simply no way I would have been in any shape to attend a wedding or special event during or at the end of this process. I don't want to scare you - the treatments themselves don't hurt so don't worry about that. Then there are the other considerations like how your skin is impacted on your breast and under it. That impact is real. You may want to wait and see - it took about 2.5 weeks before my skin was in bad shape - and anyway, it's just not an easy process. I was told on the last day of treatment that the radiation remains active in my body for about a week or two after treatments stop, so I should expect for side effects to continue for a week or so, not decrease right away. That was true.

I had to cancel a big work event. I was going to produce a major press conference and that would have been on the weekend between treatments for me. I'm glad I didn't end up doing trying to do it. Again, I had chemo prior to this, so maybe that made it harder for me. I did work from home the entire time throughout.

So given what I've heard from others here and elsewhere, and given what I've experienced, I would just recommend not committing to anything big just yet. I hope the people in your life understand that you're about to go through radiation, which is quite a lot to go through, and perhaps they can offer you flexibility and understanding because it is so hard to know how you'll be feeling by the time of the wedding.

I wish I could give you a definitive "do it" or "don't do it" - but I think wait and see is the best advice I can give. Also: be kind to yourself and give yourself permission to miss it if you need to. It's a lot to go through, chemo or no chemo. Sorry - I wish I could be more helpful!

XO

Jen

• mainejen
    Options

One last thing: I cannot tell you how many people have said to me - in one way or another along the way - "oh, radiation is so easy compared to everything else!" - of course, all of the people who say this type of thing have never actually endured any cancer diagnosis or cancer treatments, so I'm not sure why there's this idea in our culture that radiation is easy or is a "walk in the park" - which someone literally said to me at one point. If there is anything I have learned from this experience, radiation is not easy, nor is it a walk in the park. LOL. I just needed to say that.

• Aklynna
    Aklynna Member Posts: 28
    Options

Jen,

Thank you so much for your reply! My biggest concerns are the fatigue and trying to dress for a formal wedding with the potential skin issues. I know it’s hard to predict and therefore my dilemma. RSVP date is right before I start treatments, plus would most likely need a hotel reservation so I think I need to decide sooner rather than later. I have a hard time saying no to things that are expected out of me. I guess now would be a good time to get over that!

Thanks again for your insight!

PS…congrats on your hair follicles waking up!!!

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    Options

Jen, that's such wise advice. You're wonderful. I can't think of anything you didn't cover :)

Aklynna, I hope that all goes as well as possible and that you are able to go and enjoy your cousin's wedding. And, if it turns out you are not feeling up to it, for instance if you feel too sore to have clothing rubbing against the breast or are too tired to drive, the hotel should let you cancel up to a certain number of days before arrival, I would imagine. You will probably know by then how you are feeling and how things are progressing. We will be here with you as you go through this.

Hey Jen, SOOO excited for your hair!! I kind of started celebrating already because I had a FEELING those wispies last week were going to be the real deal! So excited for you! That's awesome! {HUGS to non-sensitive area!} xoxo

Tinkerbell, I am so sorry you're experiencing that discomfort. I totally get it. We plan with so many different types of garments, and still it is hard. My post-surgery bras were such a comical failure. Now I have a fine collection of sports bras I might not ever wear again. Let us know how the camisole under the bra goes. I thought that was a brilliant idea. I hope that your fatigue gets much better as you get through this and beyond.

Ivy, you have been such a sweet inspiration - for not only Jen but many others also going through loss of hair and praying for it to come back. It's so comforting to have all of you here. I will keep lifting you up in my heart as you head in again tomorrow.

And yes, my heart breaks that we had to go through this on top of the whole world falling apart. But this little radiation thread Jen has created for us is our special place where we love each other and will support each other, no matter what, as we all get through this together. Speaking of, a few of you sweet ladies haven't chimed in for awhile. How is everyone doing? Are you making it through your setup and radiation days ok?

Not sure if I mentioned, my skin is healing pretty fast a week after finishing, but I accidentally scratched the nipple with my nail right through my shirt in a freak accident - WOW did that ever hurt. I lotioned it up and it began to calm down. So, apparently the sensitivity continues but at least the tan is fading. My skin actually started recovering during the boosts, as soon as the whole breast radiation part was over. I'm continuing the once weekly PT for massage of the cording and I think it's helping. Anyone else still dealing with cording?

Oh, and this is crazy. We have a furnished rental that's empty right now so we went down to clean it and repair it this weekend. I noticed there were little bugs flying around in all the rooms and thought, they must have left the balcony door open the whole time. Turns out our tenants left a huge bag of potting soil in the front closet and the (gnats? fruit flies? whatever lives in soil, I'll call them gnats) hatched! I spent all weekend swatting. I must have killed 50 gnats at least. When I discovered the bag of soil, I did a total Forrest Gump run and literally raced that bag outside to the trash as fast as my legs could carry me. YUCK. Well, while I was sitting here typing at the dining table, I looked at the window, and there were a ton on the window glass. Finally! Much easier to get them with my fly swatter. At least 50 more gnats have met their Maker. I think they are almost all gone now. I'll probably sleep with my head under the covers again, just in case.

Well, since I'm yawning I'll start getting ready to escape under the covers. I'm praying for you and thinking of you all as you head into another week with the rest of us behind you to support you.

Sleep well ---

Love,

Esther

• serendipity09
    Options

Aklynna - Jen and Esther have you given you some great advice. Here are my two cents and it is along the lines of what they both have said. I have 6 sessions left including today. I started having side effects almost immediately, but then they subsided. However, last week it all hit me. The burning skin, the itchiness, the tightness, the fatigue and for me, headaches and bone pain (had it at the beginning then went away). I realize everyone is different, but the fatigue and skin issues seems to be the things we all have in common. I thought to myself at first, oh this is not going to be a big deal I can handle a "sunburn" and some itchiness. Then came week 3.5/4. I am miserable. I don't tell you this to scare you, but to inform you. It's not the most horrible feeling in the world, it's tolerable, but it is constant and that is what is challenging for me. Right now, nothing relieves the itchiness/burning, the fatigue is very real and because of that, I'm moody and irritable, there is so much I want to do. Even if I wanted to go to some event, I wouldn't even know how to dress. Anything rubbing on my skin bothers me, like Esther, my lymph nodes are being zapped too, so my armpit and up to my throat is burnt and irritated. The light at the end of tunnel is that we will heal!

My advice is waiting until at least three, you will have a better idea of the SE's, but not completely. Maybe check with the hotel and see if they have a refund policy? Can someone go with you and drive? Just some ideas. Sorry if none of this helps! I truly hope you are feeling good enough to go.

My father lives in the Caribbean is not doing well. I was planning on leaving to see him the day after my last session; not happening anymore, there is no way I'll be able to travel next week. Luckily, I was to get a refund for y airfare. It saddens me that after all we have been through that we have to still miss out things because of the uncertainty of all this. It isn't easy!

Esther - you are too funny! Running like Forrest Gump, lol. So glad your skin is healing!

Off to get zapped I go!

Love to you all!

• mainejen
    Options

Esther - OMG OWWWWW. That nipple scratch freak accident - you poor thing!!! OUCHY BOO BOOOOOOO. Omg I am so sorry you had to experience that. That's the worst! We're so sensitive after radiation. :( I'm glad you feel better but I'm so sorry you had that happen. And I, too, have been doing weekly PT for cording. It is improving alot, but it's still a thing. And of course, my insurer is giving us trouble about covering the PT. I mean, really. My oncologist wrote a note to the insurer. I mean, I've had nodes removed surgically AND I've been radiated there. These insurance companies really get me mad. Anyway, it helps SO much when I go to PT for cording. I have had 2 hand-swelling incidents that indicated lymphedema and my PT thinks that's under control, with her help and I have also been wearing a compression glove. I still cannot fit on my engagement and wedding rings. I tried again yesterday. :( I might have them re-sized if this is a permanent type of thing. I'm still waiting on that. Anyway, cording hurts! A lot. But PT is so helpful, isn't it?

And you are too hilarious about the gnats! OMG!!! I was laughing so hard reading that. You are always hilarious! I hope you got rid of those yukki things once and for all! Really? Potting soil in the front closet?!?!?? Really!?!??! OY! LOLOLOL

And Ivy - after today, 5 sessions left! YAYYYY!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Jen

• mainejen
    Options

Oh and thanks everyone for the kind words about my hair growing back. Super grateful for everyone's support! I'm SOOOO HAPPY about it. Today I went for an hour long walk (I'm finally able to get out there for an hour again - it's been months and months since I have been able to walk this much - so yay on that too) and afterwards I gently washed my tiny little thin mini hairs on my head and tried to have gentle, happy thoughts as I did "come on, little hairs! Grow! I'm here for you - ready and waiting - I promise I'll take good care of you!" LOL. I've lost my mind, ladies. LOLOL

But I have noticed something since my diagnosis that I'll share privately here: I need to be more consistently gentle with myself in general. In my own head, for all of my 53 years of life - I've been so harsh and unforgiving with myself. I've really had to face that and ask myself: why? Why be so kind and loving with others and not with myself. Why judge myself so harshly. Why hold myself to such impossible standards. It's so unfair. I do think, as women, we're inclined to be this way with ourselves. But: I wouldn't do that to anyone else - not to anyone I care about. Why don't I deserve as much kindness as others do? I've really been wondering and reflecting on this. I know for me- it goes back to a very awful childhood and to parents who were unkind and unloving - so I guess on some level I didn't feel deserving of kindness and love. Still, though, I'm all grown up now and it's time to make a change. :)

Anyway, so I need to learn how to treat myself as I would strive to treat any of you: with kindness and love and respect and gentleness. So I'm practicing this deliberately as much as possible now...and I'm starting with trying it with my scalp. LOLOL. Really, though, life it sooooo short. Maybe shorter than I ever anticipated, really. I don't want to waste one more moment of my energy being mean to me - no one else deserves that and neither do I. I know that sounds so odd, but I've been really paying attention to how I speak to myself inside of my own head and I've been shocked at how unkind I've been to me all of my life. Enough!

Love you all so much.

Jen

• serendipity09
    Options

Jen - it's always easier for us to be kinder to others. I'm finding it very difficult to be nice to myself. We need to remember that we too deserve to be loved, not just by others, but by ourselves, and that is not easy. I'm not sure why we do this. Is it that we are trying so hard to make sure that everyone is cared for and give them the appearance of being strong so that they do not worry/suffer for us, that we forget about self-love? I'm glad that you are being conscious of it. I need to begin to do the same.

• mainejen
    Options

Ivy, I think you're onto something. Last night I helped a friend in crisis (by phone) and then tucked my kids in (they're older but they still love tuck ins and no way am I giving up on those until they make me LOL) and then my husband and I got into a heated, stressful discussion/disagreement about a business thing. By the time we resolved things and lights were out, even with all of the meds that usually help me sleep, I was awake like a deer in headlights. I had been acting, all evening, like I was "normal" = pre-diagnosis. Available to all, totally fine, just present and there for everyone. It was too hard on me by the end. for real. Giving them, as you say, "the appearance of being strong so they do not worry/suffer for us" is exactly what I did. And I was harmed by it. I couldn't sleep. Don't get me wrong, I love my people and want them to feel I'm available and there for them. That's one reason I'm willing to endure so much agonizing treatment. To remain here for them!

That said, it was all a bit at my own expense last night. I finally got out of bed, went downstairs, and wrote. I decided I needed to write down the list of side effects/physical and psychological symptoms I experienced during chemo, which ones have subsided and when they did and what I'm dealign with now due to radiation - physically and mentally. It was like a personal "reality check" - and wow. The list was LONG (and I found it hard to write - even hard to try to think through the truth and put it down on paper because I've suppressed so much of it just to get through the day each day) and sad and I said to myself, as I read it back to myself: "if Ivy or Esther or Michele or one of my other friends handed me this list, what would I feel" - and the answer was this: deep sadness, compassion, empathy, love, and generosity. I would want my friend to carve out space for herself, to be generous with herself. I'd suggest giving herself grace and setting limits more readily and allowing herself time to adjust and time to indulge in fun foods and things she enjoys. I'd be afraid that if she didn't honor and acknowledge what she was going through, she'd not heal physically and emotionally as smoothly or at all. Holy moly. What a wake up call.

So yes, Ivy - we reallllly need to remember we need to love ourselves too and be kind to ourselves too. It seemed so clear to me when I wrote all of that stuff down and then asked myself that question. This morning, before the kids got up and as we were getting a very early start to the day, I read the list to my husband. And thankfully, he's so empathic and loving. He heard and held me (gently, ouch! LOL). After I sent the kids off to school, I took care of some work - and then I collapsed onto the bed and fell asleep for an hour or so. I NEVER let myself do that. Ever ever ever.

My guess is that you all have lists like I do. Even if you haven't done chemo. Surgery puts our bodies and souls through so much. And radiation is a doozy. I cannot be convinced anymore that radiation is "easy" - it is so intense and depleting and hard on the body. Although we all have different side effects, we all are enduring something very immense. Cancer treatment is serious stuff and we owe it to ourselves to be kinder and more gentle with ourselves.

I love you all and I hope you'll join me in trying to give yourselves some grace and loving kindness. It is not easy. It is not my default/go-to position. I always forget myself. But I don't want to do that anymore. And I hope you'll find ways to be kinder with yourselves too.

Love you, Ivy and everyone,

Jen

• serendipity09
    Options

Awe Jen so sorry you had a rough night, but I get it! We're always putting on that game-face for everyone else's benefit, it's exhausting! For me, I know it's that I don't want anyone to see me be vulnerable or weak and that's absolutely ridiculous. My/our body and mind have been through so much, how would anyone expect me/us to be strong all the time?! They don't, just us.

• mainejen
    Options

A shout out to all of the wonderful women in this group: How is everyone holding up? I know we're all overwhelmed with too much to do, so much on our plates, treatments, exhaustion, etc. - but I'm thinking of you all....and we have at least 2 people in the final stretch, right? More? Updates?

Love to all.

Jen

• serendipity09
    Options

Jen - 3 more to go! Saw the RO today, he says that everything looks "good" whatever that means, cause my skin is red and prickly. I trust him though, so I'm good.

Thanks for continuing to check in!! <3<3

• mainejen
    Options

YAYYYY! Ivy!!!! SOOOO close to done! 3 more! Countdown has begun!!! After today, 2 more!!! So Monday is the last day?!?! HUGS!!!

• serendipity09
    Options

Last night was awful, the worst of these 22 days, but yay to 2 more to go! So ready for this to be over!!

• mainejen
    Options

Ivy: I totally understand why you say that. I found the last few days to be the absolute worst on so many levels, so I'm with you 100% and send you soothing hugs. You're SO CLOSE! xo

Jen

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    Options

Ivy, you're almost there!!! WOOHOO! Hang in there... if you need something stronger than the lotions and potions you already have, please don't hesitate to ask your RO to prescribe something for you. Can't wait to celebrate your being done.

Both Ivy and Jen, {hugs to you both} thank you for such wisdom... I am so grateful for what you shared. That really hit home for me. Thank you thank you thank you. I have a feeling that all who read this forum in future will also be incredibly blessed by your insights. I'm also glad, Jen, that you shared your list with your husband and that he responded in that wonderful way. Being heard and being loved... another blessing.

I'm sorry you're dealing with cording too, and I cannot believe the insco is giving you a hard time about it. Unbelievable! They say that we can self massage to help our lymphatic system drain properly, but I haven't learned yet how to do it. My surgical oncologist mentioned that lymphedema is reversible if caught early, so I would keep insisting on those treatments. Gentle [hugs} to you...

I"ve been offline a few days getting our house ready for termite tenting - UGH- the bug saga continues, I guess. If I'd had any idea how much work is involved in prepping the house and removing all food, etc, I seriously don't know if I would have scheduled this. We also had an exciting electrical rainstorm a few nights ago. We don't get "weather" in CA - nor do we know how to drive in it- unless you count earthquakes... so it was quite exciting. Unfortunately, during the storm, three of our four balcony pillows were swirling in the air and banging against the windows (I guess they were asking to come in from the wind and rain) but before my sister could rescue them, three of them sailed off the balcony into the night. My sister found all three of them in the morning, which was pretty amazing because we are in a high rise building and they could have flown anywhere.

How are you all holding up? Please know you are loved and that we're all thinking of you. I'm praying tonight for your skin, Ivy and for the itching! You're in the home stretch. Are you bringing some sort of gift for the techs? I wrapped up some keto snacks (protein bars and beef jerky) and then forgot the gift on my final day. I still have yet to bring it because I haven't had my follow up yet. Anyway, just a thought as you are sprinting out of there after your final zap.

Love you - love you all,

Sleep well,

Esther

• serendipity09
    Options

Hi Esther! Thank you for your sweet words and all of the valuable information you shared! My hope is to have been able to help at least one person with shaving shared my insights/experiences. And thank you for the prayers, I need them, I am struggling! My skin is so burnt that it doesn't even itch anymore, it just hurts. My armpit is also hurting, quite a bit, I just pray that it goes away.

Yes, one more to go after today's zap!

I have had the same three techs throughout rads so I will be taking them something. I thought about bagels & cream cheese, but again there are only three, so I was pondering on getting them each a gift card for a local cafe or maybe Starbucks. Don't know yet. They have all been so great with me.

Hope all goes well with the termite tenting; I could only imagine how much work it is.Good luck with all of it.

Time to go get #24 in.

Sending love to you all!

• mimiarmani
    mimiarmani Member Posts: 39
    Options

New to this thread. Starting radiation October 14th. I have been given lots of skin care advice. Wondering if everyone experiences the fatigue and if they have done anything to combat it?

• serendipity09
    Options

Hi Mimi! Welcome to the group, sorry you find yourself here.

I experienced fatigued right at the beginning, but I will attribute to the stress of it all. I have one more day to go and this week the fatigue has been bad for me. Before yesterday I found that walking and drinking A LOT of water helped me, but yesterday and today I have not been able to walk much. Again, I'm at the end and my body is tired.

I hope your SE's are minimal, but hopefully non-existent.

• serendipity09
    Options

Mimi - we have an October thread going if you'd like to join us there

• mainejen
    Options

Hi, MimiArmani,

Fatigue is a real issue. So far most people I know who have gone through radiation have experienced it on some level. Not everyone. But most. We are all hit at different stages and in different ways though. I had chemo just before radiation, so I was already experiencing a load of side effects, including a deep bone level fatigue. I was ok at first with radiation, but as things progressed, I found I had a hard time even staying awake/alert to drive myself. I don't like asking friends to do things for me at all - I hate being stuck in cars in a social situation when I feel so crappy - but toward the end, on the days when I felt terrible, awful fatigue, and when my husband couldn't drive me, I did ask a friend to do it. I was in the Frame of mind of "better safe then sorry." Anyway, It's been 2 weeks since I finished radiation and I still struggle with fatigue but not as intensely or as acutely as I did during chemo and then again during radiation treatments. I don't know if this helps? Rest when you need to. I tried, when I could (I worked through it all) to lay low and grab an hour here and there of laying down. I walk daily and struggled with walking in the last couple of weeks of radiation, due to exhaustion. Don't push yourself too hard, be gentle with yourself. These are all the thoughts I have. Not sure there's a solution to the fatigue, so much as a suggestion to be kind with yourself about it.

Check in with us as you need to. Thanks for joining us here, even though we're sad you have to be doing this.

Jen

• mainejen
    Options

Esther: the pillows swirling in the wind and the bug saga! OMG LOL! You should be a writer for sure - you create such a vivid scene. And with a great sense of humor too! LOL Sorry you've had to work so hard to ready the house - it sounds exhausting!

And Ivy: I LOVE bagels and cream cheese LOL. That's a GREAT gift! Or gift cards - also great! But bagels, those are super yummy! :) Anyway, I'm sure they'll appreciate whatever you do. I'm so sorry you are so burned and in pain. I, too, endured an incredible amount of burning and pain in the last 2 weeks of treatments and up through 2 weeks after it was all over. Still trying to manage the pain. Yikes-a-roo. It is TRULY awful stuff. And again: people who tell us that radiation is easy compared to the rest of it? SUPER wrong. It's not easy at all. Not one bit. :(

Love to all.

Jen

• tinkerbell65
    tinkerbell65 Member Posts: 48
    Options

Hi all I am trying to reply to a bunch of posts here.

Aklynna - as others have said, you have no idea what you're going to feel like ahead of time, plan to attend the wedding if it's important to you, but understand that you might not be up to it. I have had times when the fatigue hits me in the face, like very suddenly I feel I cannot do anything. Other times, I feel almost "normal". I have a severe bumpy, rough rash on my chest that looks terrible and itchy and sore. I am very fair skinned, so I expected that this would happen. My job is online, and I always have a pretty scarf to drape around my neck for video calls.

Jen - Your words really got to me. My job - I am a psychotherapist, working with people who have anxiety and depression. Though I have decided to slow down, work less, not take new clients, I find that I am much kinder to clients than I am to myself. Thank you for the reminder to at times, put myself first. I'm happy for you to have HAIR!

Serendipity - I think you and I are on the same schedule. I have two more treatments, and I am considering cancelling work on tuesday and telling my husband he is taking me out to lunch to celebrate. I feel the need to mark the occasion somehow.

Esther - wow, you are going through a LOT - and you write so well about it.

Mimi - hello, and welcome. I joined this thread even though I actually started radiation in September - this is the thread I found.

I ordered some Cheryl's cookies, in Halloween themed decor, to bring to the radiation staff. they have all been so wonderful to me, and I wanted something festive. Also, a box of Cheryl's cookies contains all individually-wrapped treats, which I figured would be safest.