Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation August 2021 - Anyone else?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• gig57
    gig57 Member Posts: 8
    Options

just thought I would chime in about follow ups with radiation oncologist. I finished accelerated hypofractionated radiation in August also.I will not see radiologist back until April, 8 months after treatment. I questioned him on this because I figured I was done lol. He said that as a team they usually all try to rotate the first year or so that you are seeing one of you team anywhere from 3-6 months. I did see my breast surgeon and had a follow up mammogram this week and the mammogram was a little uncomfortable. Like some of you I. M having some soreness in lower breast and ribs and figure maybe the radiation? My exam turned out good with a good reading so that is good news. Then I will see my medical oncologist this month also. All these appointments can get a bit confusing sometimes though. I’m guessing you can probably address issues with anyone in the team at least that is what I was told. Hope this helps someone

• mainejen
    mainejen Member Posts: 148
    Options

Racheldog, yes. I am not liking that part at all. You are right> the medical oncologist is every 6 months now, for me as well, and I'm pretty clear that if I don't chase down those appointments and check in, they're onto other people. Granted, they're good docs and I get that other people need them urgently, but still. I have felt, these past few weeks, entirely abandoned by my cancer care team. I just have lots of questions, side effects I'm still dealing with from every part of treatment, etc, - and instead of getting check ins, I have to hound them to call me. It is very frustrating. I feel like the new problems I have were caused by THEM! Granted, they were focused on getting rid of the cancer, and I'm grateful for that. Truly. But in the meantime, I'm left with new problems for the rest of my life? And no help? That's insanity. I'm a generally balanced eater. Everything in moderation. I walk daily - for years before the diagnosis and throughout to the best of my ability and now I'm building back up, slowly. But the aftermath of this treatment - no matter how well I treat myself and my body, there are things that are wrong and horrible and they should stay on top of this with me. Perhaps it's out of their scope of work - but I believe cancer care teams should have after-treatment teams - to help us manage the aftermath on many levels. Again, I think it's great that they're focused on killing the cancer. Boy they must have killed it dead inside of me, because along the way, they really left a lot of collateral damage. ugh.

Anyway, I'm with you on this.