Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2021

Options

Comments

• smoothoperator78
    smoothoperator78 Member Posts: 72
    Options

i am so happy for you, Debbie! This is reason to celebrate. I hope you have some plans (even if at home).

Sarah, I am so sorry for all the gaps and space between treatments. It seems so long and I don’t even have to do reconstruction. I just keep telling my friends that I’m in active treatment for a whole year and antihormone pills for a decade. They can’t even fathom.

• HummingbirdAZ
    HummingbirdAZ Member Posts: 93
    Options

It really is a very long process, initially and then with setbacks added. Overwhelming, really. I said to my adult son on Sunday during a phone conversation that "I might have a glass of wine tonight and pretend I have a bunch of friends over and am having some fun". He stayed silent and I realized that there really has been no fun since June. How depressing! I do have an acquaintance who went through every bit of this about five years ago and she said that, while it seems like it will never end, in reality it's a short part of a long future. Let's hope so!!

• DebbieM1958
    DebbieM1958 Member Posts: 105
    Options

Thank you!!!! I have booked us a little weekend getaway to Napa in the Spring, all dependent on the situation with Covid etc.. We were supposed to have gone last year and then I got my diagnosis. So we haven't had any fun since then. I am so looking forward to it. I start my targeted therapy tomorrow - infusion of Herceptin and Perjeta every 3 weeks through end of August. My oncology nurse tells me this will be a breeze after chemo. Here's hoping.

• spades2525
    spades2525 Member Posts: 47
    Options

hi everyone! I hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected. I know a lot of us are wrapping up treatment in the next two or three weeks, or are already done! Just wanted to say thank you for the wonderful support this forum has brought me over the last 5-6 months. I know all our journeys continue from here, and is in fact life long, and I truly wish everyone the very best.

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    Options

Yes, it's been great to have this forum for support. It's a month since my last chemo now and I feel soooooo much better. 6 more radiation treatments and then then "hard" appointments are all over. Wishing all of you the best in the continued journey for better health!

• Yoma
    Yoma Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum but am appreciating the comments I’ve read so far.

I found a lump in December and over the past 4 weeks, I’ve been swinging between “ this is all happening so fast” and “why is everything taking so long”. At 60, I have the great luxury of being already retired. I do feel overwhelmed by the information I’ve been finding

I’m in Vancouver, British Columbia. I see that many of you are in the States.

My diagnosis is still a little confusing to me. It’s invasive ductile carcinoma ER and PR negative HERS2 positive. I’ve been through ultrasound, MRI, CT scan, blood work up and EKG. Waiting for a bone scan. Have met my surgeon and will meet my oncologist this week. It sounds like treatment will include chemo before surgery to shrink the tumour and hopefully avoid a mastectomy.

I’d love any advice from those who have had a similar experience. I’m shaken but have great kids and husband to lean on.

• HummingbirdAZ
    Options

Hi Yoma,

Sorry to hear your diagnosis but this website is a great resource and support mechanism! Most everyone on this thread has completed chemo or are close to being complete. I think I'm last at final infusion 2/4. You may want to search a more recent thread to find support but I know all threads are great to read through for info and experiences. It's a long journey for sure, and can have some pretty big bumps in the road, but there is so much research and experience in breast cancer that the hope of a full recovery is great. Keep a "glass half full" attitude and always remember that this too shall pass!! Heart

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,031
    Options

Yoma, we're sorry you had to find us for this reason, but glad you did as here you can connect with others who share similar situations than yours. As a suggestion, if you want to connect with others in your local area, try posting also in the Canadians Affected by Breast Cancer forum, or directly jump in the Canadians in British Columbia thread. Let us know if you help with that.

Wishing you the best of luck with further tests and appointments. Please, come back to let us all know how is it going.

Warmly,

The Mods

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi Yoma, I am sorry you find yourself with cancer but am happy you found this forum. So many wonderful women are on here. And so much information is available.

The most scary time is in the beginning while so much information is being thrown at you and decisions are being asked of you. I am 65 now, 64 when first diagnosed in June 2021. In the beginning I was very confused and found the suggestions here on this forum VERY helpful. I think the best thing for you right now is to make sure you trust your doctors, and to ask as many questions as it takes to feel good about your treatment plans, even getting second opinions if needed. And educate yourself. And pamper yourself. You have a hard journey in front of you, but you CAN do it.

• mindthief
    mindthief Member Posts: 62
    Options

Just echoing Spades to say thank you to everyone for the support. It has meant so much.I hope to see some of you on other threads, and would also be happy to reconnect here, even if it’s no longer about chemo. Best wishes to all of you as you move on to the next parts of your treatment/recovery.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

I also want to say how much the support and shared journey has meant to me. This group has been amazing, we have discussed everything and anything and got through to this point together. I sincerely wish everyone here the very best of health and healing as we continue. I plan to come back after my surgery this Friday and report back on how things went. I hope to stay connected here and other boards as well. Thank you all. I do feel very connected and thankful for each and every one of you.

• oldladyblue
    Options

I feel lucky to have had the companionship offered by this forum. For sure it has helped greatly to have everyone's support on this thread! I hope we all continue to come back and update every so often in the future. Best wishes to all!

• HummingbirdAZ
    Options

Good Luck Everyone!

Agree, this has been uber helpful for me! I finish chemo 2/4 and won't start radiation until the first week of March so will look into a March Rads group. I really trust all of you so if anyone ahead of me (so ironic!!) that wants to share radiation advice, please do. Thanks so much for being friends since Labor Day!!!

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Things I have noticed since I had my last chemo on 12/23 and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced similar - I am more aware of the tingling in my feet (neuropathy), I understand this should improve as time goes by. Also 3 of my toenails and one of my fingernails have started to come away from the nail bed. I have to be super careful I don't catch them on anything. Trying not to lose the whole nail(s). What a pain. Anyone else? Sending love to all.

• DebbieM1958
    Options

It's surgery day today for me - double masectomy here I come! I will report back over the weekend.

• sarah_78
    sarah_78 Member Posts: 119
    Options

Dear Debbie,

wish you all the best with your surgery. I am scheduled for 3rd of February, one sided chop for me.

about weird side effects after last chemo, I have a bunch but not the ones you told. I have my left wrist swollen as well as the root of my right index finger. I also couldn't move my arms up for a few days, it was painful. I found out joint ache/swelling is a side effect of doxitaxel. I had a light version of this last cycle too, iced wrist and hands then and it went away. Just hoping it won't interfere with my surgery or won't make it worse than it is.

10 years ago I lost a big toe nail, it was during chemo and after I hit it. I was thinking maybe your shoes are too tight? Then again it wasn't too bad at all. The new one came from behind and it was as good as new in a month or two.

Good luck, keep us posted.

• mindthief
    Options

Debbie - I had similar symptoms but with hands instead of feet — numbness in my fingers and discoloured fingernails that only showed up after my last treatment. The neuropathy has since disappeared; the fingernails I guess will have to just grow out. Good luck with your surgery!

• spades2525
    spades2525 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Debbie, by now you are likely done your surgery and starting the recovery process. I am thinking of you and wishing you well. First 2 weeks are the hardest because of the drains and difficulty moving.. gradually it gets better from there. 🤗

Hummingbird, I’m all in for a March rads group. My last chemo is next Friday!! Hopefully

I have all sorts of self care booked for February as part of my rest and recovery time before radiation starts. Giving me lots of things to look forward to!

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Surgery went very well and I am home! Pathology results hopefully next Friday at my follow up visit and maybe drains out that day too. It is not too painful as they gave me a regional nerve block shot which should last 72 hrs apparently. Sent me home with oxycodone just in case (10). Sleeping in the recliner tonight. The surgical team was awesome and I am so thrilled it's over and behind me. I have a camisole with drain pockets they gave me to wear 24/7 till the drains come out and apparently I can shower tomorrow morning. Yay! More to follow as I progress.

• HummingbirdAZ
    Options

Debbie--good to hear you are home and things are going well! Just try to lay low for the next week and don't do too much. We will all be praying for good path reports! Thanks for reporting back and don't be stranger. FYI, I also had my big toenail discolor then start to lift. The oncologist said to trim it back as possible and that it will eventually fall off when a new nail grows below. My fingernails have a few that are turning black/blue but are still intact, although I'll say all my fingernails are very crumbly and do not grow, can you say ugly???

Spades--seems like you and I are on a similar path this whole time, although I've been unlucky to have some annoying setbacks which have extended my chemo by 3 weeks. Yesterday was the third-to-last so I'll be done 2/4. Oddly, after missing the 1/7 treatment, my lab results have come back all completely normal. I hope the chemo is still working, good question for the onco but don't see her until the last time. I have my radiation mapping appointment scheduled for 2/24 and will start the following week. 30 treatments then 3 booster treatments, so seven weeks. The last 3 will be directly to the cancer cavity. I am going to spend February visiting family and friends with a weekend trip to LA and a driving trip to Albuquerque to snuggle my grandkids! I've felt more isolated through chemo than I did through Covid!!!

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi ladies, I hope everyone is progressing well. Based on my own case, I think you will find radiation is very easy to tolerate after suffering through chemo and surgery. Try to pamper yourselves when possible, I have not been good at that as life just crushes in with its problems.

I just wanted to chime in on nail problems. I've had continuing issues with rashes on my feet that are still persisting and came on at the start of chemo. My big toenails are crumbling off down to just a small part left on each toe near the nail bed. I am seeing a dermatologist on Weds at the VA, since the chemo doc STILL says it is NOT chemo related. I am using aloe vera cream on my feet to cool the hot itch. Nothing else has been prescribed. I still believe the chemo set off whatever is happening with my feet and it is continuing on even though my last chemo was 12/10/21.

• Kendara
    Kendara Member Posts: 13
    Options

oldladyblue-I had my last chemo infusion on 12/13 and although most of the side effects have improved, my neuropathy has continued to worsen. I would absolutely attribute your foot issues to chemo. My feet feel like they’re on fire or in a pot of boiling water. OTC pain meds (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) do nothing to help. I’ve also tried capsaicin cream and menthol ointment. Neither worked for me but they might help you. I’m reluctantly starting gabapentin tomorrow out of desperation. I’ll let you know if it helps.

Debbie - wishing you a smooth and speedy recovery and a good pathology report.

Hummingbird- hang in there, only a couple more weeks till you’re done with chemo! Glad you have your rads plan in place. It’s got to be easier than chemo.

Spades- enjoy your upcoming self-care events!

Sarah-praying for your upcoming surgery. Hope it’s easy-peasy.

Kendara

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Kendara - my foot neuropathy has also been more noticeable since my last chemo on 12/23 - not as bad as yours sounds but I am very aware of it, feels like pins and needles most of the time. Doc says it will hopefully eventually fade off and also offered me the same med as you. I am going to wait and see on that. Let me know if it helps you. Sorry yours is so painful. Hope it helps.

• oldladyblue
    Options

Hi all! I felt lonely for those who TRULY understand and came on here tonight. Still have insomnia..... Wishing you all the best.

Kendara, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble, but yes, I believe strongly my foot trouble, rash, burning, neuropathy still ongoing, has to be chemo related.

I feel I came out lucky from my chemo and rads with little side effects remaining. I probably should have continued to drink tons of water though, as I backed up with the big C, so I hope all of you will continue to drink plenty. Feb 2 will begin my hormone suppression medicine, when I see the hem/onc doctor again.

• mindthief
    Options

For those still finishing up chemo, just wanted to share the light I’ve reached at the end of the tunnel. Behold my newly fuzzy head! Also all my blood work has gone back to normal, but who cares about that? ;)

• HummingbirdAZ
    Options

Yay Mindthief!! Mine started to come in about a month ago. It's all WHITE. There was some white in it before (started going gray at 19) but now it's 100%. I'll take it, who cares what color and texture Loopy

• mindthief
    Options

Oh wow, Hummingbird, you’ve got tons of hair! You’ve put my fuzz to shame!

• HummingbirdAZ
    Options

Haha! I think yours will look like this in a month, Mindthief. Nice and dark, though, lucky you!

Hope you are feeling more chipper, OldLadyBlue. Keep your chin up!

Everyone else, hoping you are all good. I've got my last two infusions on Friday, this week and next. Still dealing with nerve pain from the Shingles and trying to push through this to the end...

• DebbieM1958
    Options

Good job on the hair Mindthief and Hummingbird - looking very good! I am looking forward to mine starting to do the same, hopefully soon now that chemo is done. This neuropathy though, its a real pain in both feet - I read that it peaks at months 3 - 5 post chemo and then should start to improve. I am reluctant to take any more meds though, although my oncologist offered me something (a seizure medication beginning with G). I will try and wait it out for now. Also the fingernails are now doing the same thing as some of my toes - nail coming away from the nail bed. Geez, these after effects are not much fun at all. Healing well (I think) from the double masectomy, it will be a week tomorrow and I have a follow up with the surgeon. Dont think the drains will come out however as you have to be at 30ml drainage or less for 2 days and I am far from that. Hopefully next week sometime. I hope everyone is doing well.

• Kendara
    Kendara Member Posts: 13
    Options

Debbie-glad to hear your recovery from surgery is progressing well. Praying that those drains can come out ASAP.

Hummingbird-I am sorry you have lingering shingles pain. The gabapentin I have been given for my foot neuropathy is actually prescribed for post-shingles nerve pain, too. Congratulations on having only one more chemo infusion!

mindthief and hummingbird-Enjoyed the back-of-head shots showing hair regrowth! Mine looks like a five o’clock shadow on my scalp. Very dark but there are a couple of areas that are slower to fill in. Please don’t let me have bald spots!!!!!

oldladyblue -hope the big C is resolved! Also praying for a good night’s sleep for you.

I started the gabapentin on January 24 and titrated up the dose each day as instructed. Today is the fifth day and no pain relief yet. The palliative care doctor, who I had a telehealth visit with yesterday, wants me to keep on it until next Thursday and then email his nurse with an update. If it’s not working by then, there are two other related drugs he can prescribe, Lyrica and Cymbalta. I’m willing to try anything to get relief from this pain. If it weren’t for the neuropathy, I’d actually be doing pretty well!

Love and light to all,

Kendara