Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CA 27-29 testing

Options
Deamo1
Deamo1 Member Posts: 25

My CA 27-29 keeps on going up. When I was first diagnosed with bc 3 yrs ago it was 65. Now that I have mets it's 880. My Onco told me not to get hung up on the numbers but how could I not? He said it could be inflammation. I've had very severe gastritis and GERD lately. Could that be it? I feel fine. Going for a PET next week. Worried.

Comments

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi Deamo - I’m sorry that your markers are creating anxiety. Yes, inflammation among other things can increase the markers. But I wanted to let you know that many on this site have had high markers, and it does not necessarily mean something imminently bad. When I was diagnosed with MBC six years ago, mine were over 1,000. They have gone as high as 2300 and then were brought down to the 50’s with a treatment change. So mine do go up and down based on treatment.I’ve seen others mentioned in past posts who have had 27-29 in the high thousands. I think the trends are more important than the actual numbers. Wishing you well with your scan and hope you get good results that ease your mind. Best wishes.

• Deamo1
    edited October 2021
    Options

Thank you so much for your kind words. You have done more for my anxiety than anyone else. Appreciate it so much.

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2021
    Options

Not sure why some of our cancers happen to express more of the protein that is measured by tumor marker tests, but I can say that even when my markers were the highest, I felt very good. And I hope the same for you!

• Deamo1
    edited May 2022
    Options

I just had pleural effusion in my lungs. At the same time, my Oncologist did a CA27-29 test and it's 5,000. Normal is under 40. Is this possibly from the effusion? I've had a lot of trouble breathing. All I know is the CA keeps on going up now.