Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Recurring Seroma after removal of sentinel lymph nodes

I had a lumpectomy for Triple - bc in 2020, I have a recurring seroma that has been aspirated x 7 any suggestions on how to deal with this Tx. advice etc. most welcome

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited October 2021

Hi Rhondda, and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so very sorry for the troubles that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us and decided to join and post. You're sure to find our amazing Community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement, and support -- we're all here for you!

We're sure others will be by shortly to weigh in with their thoughts and experience, but we wanted to let you know we're feeling for you and hope you find a resolution soon.

--The Mods

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044
    edited October 2021

Rhondda - what if your surgeon &/or your oncologist telling you?

Sounds like it might be time to get a second opinion.

• Rhondda
    Rhondda Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2021

Thank you for replying.

My surgeon says says it will go away eventually, and to just keep aspirating as necessary if it becomes too uncomfortable.

It was aspirated this week, the radiologist said strands of protein were forming in the fluid and as he applied suction, the strands would block the needle, so he was only able to remove half the fluid that was there and for the first time the colour of the fluid was changed , it was sent for culture.I am now on antibiotics awaiting results.

I have asked for a second opinion, but its not until Nov 17.

I am applying moist heat and taking Tylenol if necessary, fortunately I have never had a fever. But I am tired of this and would like it to be resolved. Any one else ever have this issue?

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited October 2021

Rhondda, sorry you are experiencing a seroma. Tricky, sometimes to resolve, but I'm glad you're seeing doctors and they are doing further testing and you are getting a second opinion. Mine was aspirated twice and finally resolved itself, but painful and uncomfortable for weeks. I found wearing a breast binder to at least hold everything in place and put some pressure on the area helped some. Hope you find relief soon. Please let us know how you're doing. All the best!

• kevin56
    kevin56 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2021

Had wound vac after my lumpectomy. Seroma developed, became infected,spent 3 days in hospital on IV clindamycin, put on wound vac and went home with 10 more weeks of wound vac(home health RN came 3 times a week) Maybe wound vac would be good for you if tired of aspirations.

• Dicon
    Dicon Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2021

I had 25 lymph nodes removed with the mastectomy. Lots of lymph fluid sitting in the pocket where there was once tissue and nodes to absorb the fluid. Filled up after every aspiration and did not seem to be reducing in size. Surgeon is very respected and is consulted by other BC surgeons. On the third aspiration the fluid was thickening and more difficult to evacuate. He said it will,probably fill up again but will eventually absorb. He was right, it took 4 months and I still have just a little spot that is not completely flat yet. I would conclude that aspiration might work on some people with a small seroma or might initially help on larger ones but at least in my case, time heals and the fluid is absorbed just as he said.I also walked to help with circulation although it was challenging during AC chemo.
    Of course it needs to be watched so you don’t have the beginning of fluid building elsewhere in your body. Swollen ankles, hands etc which is a bigger concern than just a pocket of fluid.

Good luck, and I hope it absorbs as your surgeon said.

• Rhondda
    edited November 2021

Thank you for your words of encouragement, I appreciate them. I am so glad you seromas resolved.

• JackieJCH
    JackieJCH Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2022

Hi

I have just joined the group and would like some advice on Seroma if possible.

I had a lumpectomy with removal of main sentinel lymph node on 14 December 2021. About a week ago I developed a Seroma, I am taking antibiotics for 10 days.

Can anyone recommend anything I can do to help it disperse, does it help if I put heat on the area? Gentle massage?

I have my follow up appointment with my oncologist on the 25th January. Will the Seroma delay any further treatment I may need, ie. Radiotherapy?

I appreciate any advice

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited January 2022

Jackie, sorry to hear you're experiencing a seroma. Antibiotics is a good start so that sounds like you've already been in contact with your surgeon's office. There's probably no one set of directions to follow for everyone. You don't mention how big it is or what the doctor recommended, but try a few things and give it time--which is the biggest healer! If it gets big and super uncomfortable, they may try to aspirate it--sometimes helpful, sometimes not! I had mine aspirated twice but it wasn't until I had SAVI internal radiation, that it started to disappear. I did not find heat, cold, or massage of the seroma worked, but did think it felt better when I wore a breast binder so that it didn't move around or bumped. Keep moving to help with draining and watch for any signs of lymphedema in that arm.

This link is for the breast binder I received through my Breast Center. It comes in different sizes and colors and I ended up buying another so I could wash one while wearing one. It was comfortable and cozy! https://www.amazon.com/Breast-Binder-Release-Added-Comfort/dp/B0027UYDN6/ref=sr_1_20?crid=3A2GIMV0CAPOX&keywords=breast+binder&qid=1641755903&sprefix=breast+binder%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-20

All the best as you recover from surgery and the seroma. Time will heal! Ask away if you have further questions.

• JackieJCH
    edited January 2022

Ceanna,

Many thanks for your advice, I have 5 days left of my antibiotic’s so will see how it’s doing by then, fingers crossed!

I will look into the breast binder, although it’s not so tender today.

Jacki

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 732
    edited January 2022

My doctor gave me a binder for my seratoma and when it was still uncomfortable, they aspirated it. I had to go back to get it aspirated once more after that as well. My only regret is waiting to show it to them - I had extra pain for nothing.

• JackieJCH
    edited January 2022

Hi Salamandra

Thank you for your info, can I ask you did it delay the start of any treatment that you may of needed.

Got an appointment with my oncologist at the end of the month.

Jacki

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited January 2022

i had a seroma too. I tried everything. Massage and a good deal of time resolved the issue. And it was quite an issue. My incision was at the bottom of my breast, close to my rib cage. Took me months before I was comfortable wearing a bra. Every bra cut into the seroma and incision. To add insult to injury, I had lung surgery on my other side of my chest and that incision also interfered with my ability to find a comfortable bra as well.

i wish everyone well

• Rhondda
    edited January 2022

I am so sorry you are having this problem I can sympathize with you.

,I had a recurring seroma for one and a half years in the cavity left by removal of 5 lymph nodes

. After 7 aspirations, I got dismayed by this recurrence over and over, so I went for a 2nd opinion as after the last aspiration I developed an abscess, on the day of the second opinion the abscess burst on its own, the surgeon made the opening bigger and punctured the seroma. he irrigated the cavity and packed it with gauze ribbon leaving a small end out to let the cavity drain, he repacked it every few days, it drained a lot of lightly yellow tinged fluid. I changed the dressing 3 + times a day.

He said the plan was to have the cavity close in on itself. After 3.5 weeks it did indeed close and now 1.5 months later I am, so far seroma free

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 732
    edited January 2022

Hi Jackie,

For me, no. I had about 6 weeks between surgery and radiation though as the Plan A.