Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

IBC after IDC

Options
rnmom2three
rnmom2three Member Posts: 2

I am 52, and definitely not lactating! I suddenly developed symptoms of mastitis with a fever a few days ago. The symptoms have mostly improved on their own and the fever subsided after about 36 hours, but I went to the doctor today because, with my history of breast cancer, I wanted to get checked out. She thinks it is probably mastitis because of the fever, but wants to rule out IBC. So, I'm scheduled for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound in two weeks.

My question for all of you is this: How many of you were diagnosed with IBC after having IDC? I would like to know if the chances of having IBC are increased if one has had IDC.

I have been cancer free for 9 years. The fear of recurrence is always slightly in the back of my mind, but as I reach the 10 year mark, I feel like the chance is diminishing.

Then this...

I really hope I'm not about to go down the cancer road again.

Comments

• kipani
    kipani Member Posts: 13
    Options

There's never fever with IBC. Just symptoms that get worse day to day. Literally.

Hope this eases you.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    Options

CCA_RN--I had IDC and IBC concurrently but I have not heard that having IDC makes one any more susceptible to IBC. Sorry you have to wait on testing, and I hope you get a good result.

Everyone's experience with IBC is different. I've not heard of general fever with IBC, but many of us had a "warmth" in the affected breast. Also, my symptoms did not get worse day to day, though some people's do. Try not to worry until you have to... and I know that's easier said than done. My best to you.

• barefootmimi
    barefootmimi Member Posts: 5
    Options

I’m interested in knowing your outcome CCA_RN

• rnmom2three
    rnmom2three Member Posts: 2
    Options

My mammogram was clear, so I apparently just had a freaky case of mastitis. Thanks for checking in.

• PatRN10
    PatRN10 Member Posts: 110
    Options

But I thought mammos did not necessarily pick up IBC.