Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Xeloda for "Maintenance" purposes (not Stage IV)

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,414
    edited November 2021

Aw, Serendipity. I was hoping this would go smoother for you. Here's hoping you will feel better as your body adjusts to it. Hugs.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited November 2021

Hi LW! Thanks! I've spoke to so many that have tolerated so it well, I was hoping this time around it would be for me as well. Granted, it's not as bad as it was last year, but still.

Sleep is starting to be affected. Hoping that it's temporary.

Hoping you're still doing ok!!

Hugs to you!

• lw422
    edited November 2021

Hey Serendipity. How are you today? I hope things are leveling off for you.

I don't want to derail this thread with my whining, so I'll "see" you on the radiation threads.Happy

• serendipity09
    edited November 2021

Hi LW!

I hope everything is ok with you?!

I appreciate you asking! Struggling with my bp now on top of the intensified headaches, so a bit worrisome on that front. So far those are the only SE's. Will be seeing MO tomorrow, if I don't end up in the er because of bp. Otherwise, physically I'm feeling good.

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2021

Serendipity,

It’s worrisome that you’re having BP and headaches issues with Xeloda. I don’t know if Xeloda is a vaso-constrictor, but if it is, the BP and headaches may be related to Xeloda. Hopefully, your MO will be able to tell whether Xeloda is causing the BP and headaches and whether it is safe to continue. For my headaches, strong coffee or tea (I believe caffeine is a vaso-dilator) helped relieve some of the headaches, but I could only have it in the morning, so nighttime was an issue for me. I’m glad you have an appointment with your MO tomorrow

• serendipity09
    edited November 2021

NorCalS - thank you! Going to try coffee. Hopefully MO can figure out if indeed X is causing the high BP.

• mamacure
    mamacure Member Posts: 256
    edited November 2021

How scary Serendipity on the BP! Please take care.

Happy to hear you are not having nausea but headaches & BP issues ugh!! Do you think they will lower the dosage? Thank you for keeping us updated

• serendipity09
    edited November 2021

Hi Mama! Not lowering the dosage just yet, I have another week on this cycle. If the BP issues and headaches go away on my week off then the dosage may be lowered. If they continue during that time, then it's not X. I was diagnosed with POTS years ago and it could be that, so an increase in BP meds hopefully helps. I really don't want to lower the dosage as I want to have the extra protection.

I'm slathering my feet in Aquaphor every evening and putting silicone socks on in hopes of not getting hand and foot. I'm noticing my feet hurt more than usual yesterday and today though, but no skin issues thus far; granted other report getting h&f after two or three cycyles. Hoping things don't progress.

Have great night and if I'm not back before Thursday, Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

• mamacure
    edited November 2021

Happy Thanksgiving Serendipity!

I totally get what you mean about not wanting to lower the dosage. I better listen carefully to my doc too & not demand a lower dosage to start. I will ask her professional opinion on it. Thank you.I hope this week goes well & fast for you so that you can enjoy your week off of X. I just looked up what are silicone socks, my feet started to sweat just looking at them. I will get them too when my time comes.

• serendipity09
    edited November 2021

Mamacure- the silicone socks aren't that bad, I thought they would make my feet hot, but they actually make my feet feel cool.

• mamacure
    edited December 2021

How are you doing Serendipity? Are you on the off week?

My natural path oncologist wants me to take vitamin b6 during xeloda. He said cetaphil cream will be good for hands & feet, it’s what I have on hand. I get to remove my port soon, do you still have yours?

Hope you are doing well. Take care!

P.s. curious how big are the pills

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

Hi Mama!

Yesterday was my first day of my week off. SE's started to kick in somewhat over the weekend. My bones/joints hurt, similar to what I felt last year, but not as bad,I hope it stays that way. My finger tips are sore, almost like they feel full, they are not swollen. I've had two mouth sores. So far no issues with the skin on my feet, but as I mentioned before I apply Aquaphor and wear silicon socks every evening. My skin is dry, bu that was expected. The only thing that's really concerning for me are the headaches, but they started during rads, but since I started X have intensified.

The pills are pretty big, maybe 3/4"

I've been taking Vitamin B6 and B12 since I finished chemo last year, but I honestly don't remember why, lol?

• norcals
    edited December 2021

Serendipity,

I’m sorry that you’re having to deal with the headaches. It really does make Xeloda a very tedious and dragged out experience. I really hated Xeloda while I was on it (more so than AC or taxol) and MO was surprised with the number of complaints and SE since I had very few complaints during the “stronger” chemo drugs. I think with AC and taxol, the premeds (especially the dexamethasone) helped me feel better.

I hope your headaches start to reduce in intensity soon. Hugs

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

NorCalS - thanks! I agree with you, I dislike Xeloda more than ACT & Carbo. Xeloda is no joke and I feel like the SE's are just starting. Yesterday I felt as if my fingertips were "full," today they feel like they are going to explode, they burn and hurt and as of a little while ago, my toes are starting to feel the same. I know I have to let my MO know, but I'm trying to give it a few days now that I'm in my off week to see if things settles down. She told me from the beginning she would take me off, which I don't want, but know that I risk permanent damage. SIGH! I wish this wasn't so crappy.

• mamacure
    edited December 2021

Sorry to hear that Serendipity & NorCal! Those other chemos were hell for me. My onc said X will be the easiest of all….we will see. Scared.

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

Mama - My MO told me X "would be a breeze compared to AC&T" and so so many others have tolerated it so well. My body just does not like it as it didn't like rads either, lol. I'll get through it. Don't be scared, you've got this! {Hugs}

• mamacure
    edited December 2021

Thanks Serendipity. How often do you get blood draws for X? Now I’m thinking to keep my port in longer for it.

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

I go at least once a month. My port was taken out during my exchange and I wish I still had it, but we didn't know until a few days after the surgery that the beast had returned :(

• blue22
    blue22 Member Posts: 172
    edited December 2021

Hi Serendipity,

My MO recommended soaking my hands and feet in cold water - I think it was twice a day. I did that for quite a while, especially after taking a walk. I bought a little collapsible tub for my feet and used a bowl for my hands and watched comedy on my computer or phone while I soaked. I feel like it helped.

I agree, Xeloda is no joke. I think it really put me over the edge with the chemo brain, even though it is not supposed to be one of the treatments that does that. I know we reduced my dosage multiple times. I had terrible diarrhea the entire time. I took immodium, but that just gave me constipation which considering I could stay home from work, I thought was worse. As disgusting as it sounds, I just got used to explosive diarrhea... it was part of life.

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

Blue - thank you! Never heard of soaking in cold water. I honestly don't know if my feet could handle it because of the neuropathy. Going to have to try and see. YES to the chemo brain, it's terrible. I've always suffered from constipation. X has actually helped, somewhat, with that. Probably the only good thing about it, well that and hopefully attacking those cancer cells.

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

Started second cycle today SIGH! Neuropathy in fingers subsided somewhat towards the end of my 7 days off. My feet continue to be bothersome. No skin issues on my hands or feet so far , but I've been lathering up daily with a beeswax honey salve that was gifted to me and it is amazing. I don't think the headaches have anything to do with X as they continue daily and in intensity. I see MO next week and will see what she says. I don't like the way I feel, but will do my best to stick it out so long as the MO agrees and SE's do not get worse, taking into consideration that I'm just beginning cycle two and SE's can progress as time goes on. Praying for the best.

• norcals
    edited December 2021

Serendipity,

Hopefully your MO can figure out what is causing the headaches. It does feel like a long and never ending process. I hope the SEs do not get worse.

Hugs

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

Thanks NorCalS! The headaches have me a bit concerned as it's been too long. Maybe it's just stress?! I don't know.

X has really kicked my butt already. I've been on the sofa since about noon with bone and joint pain. Not good as this is exactly how I reacted last year on X.

Hugs to you!

• lw422
    edited December 2021

Serendipity--I'm just butting into the thread again to say that I wish things would go better for you. It makes my heart hurt that you have to go through so much. I'm keeping tabs on you and wishing I had a magic wand. Hang in there, sweetie.

• mamacure
    edited December 2021

Oh dear, hang in there Serendipity. The intense headaches, I hope they can do something about those. Will Claritin help at all with the bone pain? I’m very sorry you are dealing with these SEs again. Did you have neuropathy from previous chemo? Sending you healing thoughts.

Hi LW, always good to hear from you!

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited December 2021

Are you taking Zofran for nausea. Serendipity? It has been known to cause massive headaches. They were one of the worst side effects for me during chemo. I was taking two extra strength tylenol every eight hours just in order to be semi functional.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

Trish

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

Hi LW! Good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well and recovered from rads! Thank you for keeping tbs on me, means a lot.

Mama - Thank you! I struggled with ulnar neuropathy prior to being diagnosed.

Trish - I do not take Zofran on a regular basis, once in a while if I become nauseous. I'm doing Tylenol every 8 hours, it helps alleviate somewhat, but it's very short lived. I suffer from migraines and get botox for that later this week. I never really had headaches until I started rads. I'm hoping the botox will help. Pain meds make me sick so it's a last last resort, but even those only help for about an hour and really aren't worth feeling sick.

• blue22
    blue22 Member Posts: 172
    edited December 2021

Hi Serendipity,

Sorry about the headaches. I wish I could better remember how it was for me... I feel like I did have headaches too... but ugh so much of my memory of specifics during treatment is gone. every once in a while I will have a strong memory, or something will stick out to remind me of something.

You said maybe they are related to stress. Is there anything you can do to help you relieve the stress such as breathing techniques or meditation?

• serendipity09
    edited December 2021

Hi Blue! Thank you! I really need to get better about taking the time to meditate. I do, however, do breathing techniques, they haven't helped.

I understand about not remembering, Chemo brain is real and I believe can last a lifetime, not to mention how traumatic all of this really is that some bury it so deep that they don't remember (not saying you) :) Have a great night!

• lw422
    edited December 2021

Hey Mamacure and Serendipity. I'm doing fine these days; just occasional tightness and weirdness under my arm that I guess I'll have for a while. I hope both of you are hanging in there with treatment. :flowers:

Hey Blue!