Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone scheduled for Jan yet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Skeet69
    Skeet69 Member Posts: 7
    Options

scheduled for February 1 in portland, oregon. I worry about maybe getting bumped. Hoping not for both of us.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    Options

🤞that all the surgeries happen on time. Hospitals and regions seem much more prepared this time around, and are able to prioritize cancer patients so far.🤞

• Kendara
    Kendara Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi everyone! I’m scheduled for a lumpectomy with SLNB and a lift on the non-cancer side on January 17. I’ve never been under general anesthesia before and I’m scared. I’m also worried about COVID delaying my surgery if I or my surgeon tests positive. I’ve had a C-section so I’m prepared for incisions and pain, but I’ve never had a post-surgical drain and I may or may not wake up with one depending on whether multiple lymph nodes need to be removed. I appreciate the advice and support here and wish those who have already had their surgeries speedy recoveries. And for those of us who are waiting, may we be protected from COVID mayhem, weather mayhem, and anything else that could force rescheduling!

• dancemom
    Options

Kendra, I had all those fears too. The covid one you just have to be careful and lucky. About anesthesia,it was my first time under general too. I cant metabolise certain classes of drugs, so I spoke with my surgeon who set me up with an appointment with someone in the anesthesia dept about 2 weeks to discuss it all in detail. My anesthesiologist wasn't scheduled yet, but they took loads of notes, asked many questions, and also gave me notes to remind my anesthesiologist of day of. So in pre-op, my anesthesiologist was well prepared and spent time going over it all with me. ASK QUESTIONS.

Drains are weird and uncomfortable, but not as scary as they sounded. When I was ready for discharge, my daughter (20) came and the nurse showed her how to help me with them. DH was supposed to,, but he kind of grossed out. Its not hard, but the extra hands make it much easier. Plus the surgery makes your body very tired, and kind of stupid. So DD measures and writes down the amounts of fluid from each for me. The other really helpful thing has been that DD set up a meds chart for me, and always put my next meds into a little bowl and I have an alarm set for every 6 hours. Twisting the lids off myself couldn't happen until day 4, plus its hard to remember what combo to take. Its day 6 and I never needed the big guns.

I had a Mastectomy, so I think with lumpectomy you get to go home sooner. Just have whoever picks you up really pay attention to the meds schedule and practice the drain care with the nurse. The anesthesia fog is REAL. You got this!!!!

• ilenef
    ilenef Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thank you emstein for your posts. I am scheduled (rescheduled from December when the surgeon got sick) for bilateral lumpectomies on Thursday (Jan. 20) with pre-op (re-do of December) on Tuesday. Your posts have calmed my anxiety somewhat. Still concerned, of course, about the pain afterwards. I have had the Savi clips in since December, but the doctor said no problem.

• 1982m
    1982m Member Posts: 224
    Options

ugh…. surgery is suppose to happen in 11 days but my littlest has Covid. I wasn't sure what to do, but my husband and I decided to have me quarantine away. I have four vaccines. Inital pfizer and then a two 100mcg Moderna's. One was just 10 days ago. I'm really hoping I'll be able to avoid this and get surgery.

Good luck tomorrow Kendra. Sending you happy thoughts for surgery tomorrow!

• dancemom
    Options

Kendra, ilenef, thinking good thoughts for your upcoming dates.

1982M 🤞, I hope the vax and precautions do their things and it all goes to plan.

The covid waiting has really affected everyone so much.

• 1982m
    1982m Member Posts: 224
    Options

Thanks Dancemom :)
    It’s been stressful but my little one is not to sick, and that really is the most important thing.

• Kendara
    Options

1982M- So sorry your little one has COVID-19! Hoping your precautions are effective in keeping you COVID free! Thank you for sending me good wishes for my surgery.

Dancemom- thanks for the good wishes and the advice about talking to the anesthesiologist prior to surgery. I did so and it was reassuring.

Okay, here’s the lowdown on my lumpectomy and mastoplexy, which took place as scheduled yesterday despite a winter storm in my area (Virginia). Somehow we made it down my long, steep, icy driveway and got to the surgery center only 30 minutes late. 😊 The whole hospital complex was oddly empty and quiet because it was a holiday, but I think that was a positive. Fewer people for me to possibly catch Omicron from!

My first procedure was the lymphoscintigraphy, where they inject the breast with a radioactive tracer and then take images to locate the sentinel node. Then the technician marks a spot on the skin to tell the surgeon where to look for the sentinel node. This part was easy for me. Only one injection, just a pinch as the fluid went in, no other pain.

The second procedure was the mammogram with needle localization. First they took a regular mammogram of the cancerous breast from three different angles. There was some pain due to the compression. Then the doctor came in and they positioned me in front of the mammography machine in an adjustable rolling chair. They told me not to look or move. The doctor asked the techs for the coordinates, injected lidocaine, and then inserted the needle.I had to have three (!!!) needles inserted. After each needle, more images were taken. Lots of “Hold your breath, don’t move, breathe, don’t move” from the techs. I got lightheaded from only being able to take shallow breaths for so long and they had to recline the chair at the end so my brain could get more oxygen 😄. The techs cleaned me up and put a styrofoam coffee cup over the area where the wires were. This procedure was the worst part of my day. The lidocaine injections hurt and didn’t completely block the pain of the needle insertion.

Finally the surgery. Pre-op nurse was great. She helped me undress and put an IV in my hand. I was given 1000mg of Tylenol pills. She covered me in warm blankets. My surgeon came in and went over his plan. He wrote all over my torso with a marker. He warned me that if cancer was found in my sentinel node, he was going to remove ALL the lymph nodes on that side because I have TNBC and if there was cancer that had survived neoadjuvant chemo, it was some very nasty cancer and he would not trust radiation alone to kill it. Of course I didn’t want to hear that, but I trusted him to do what was best for my survival.

The anesthesiologist came in so I could sign her consent form. She was very nice and told me that since I was a “compact” person (read: small), she would use a child size tube that would not pass through my larynx. I was relieved because I am a singer and I knew that sometimes being intubated damages the voicebox. She promised to stay with me the whole time and watch over me. ❤️ to her!

Then I got wheeled back to the OR, scooted myself onto the operating table, and it was lights out for me. I woke up in a recovery cubicle with a nurse urging me to get dressed and drink some water. I was very drowsy and did not want to get up! Apparently I had been there longer than usual. Anyway, the best part was realizing I didn’t have a drain, which meant that the surgeon had not taken out all my lymph nodes! 🎉 I got to see the incisions as I was putting my sports bra on. I look a bit like Frankenstein’s monster but it’s not too bad.

The anesthesia made me chatty. I didn’t have any pain right after surgery. My husband drove me home and stopped to pick up a prescription for painkillers. They are a combo of 5mg hydrocodone and 325mg of Tylenol. I’m supposed to take one every six hours. I’ve taken two so far and they are working to keep the pain at a dull background ache. Slept in a recliner so I wouldn’t turn over (normally a side sleeper).

Sorry this was so long-I wanted to provide details for anyone whose surgery is still upcoming. My surgeon said he will call with pathology results later this week. I’ll let you know what they say. Continuing to pray for those awaiting their surgery! 🤗

Kendara

• dancemom
    Options

update. I never had to take painkillers other than otc, but I did sleep most of the first week after. Pathology was good 😁 , systemic drugs are working. 2nd drain out on day 15. Wow, what a difference!!!!! I have my arm back! (With restrictions). Also, the jostling of walking doesn't hurt as much now, so I've been doing tons of that. (About 4.5 miles yesterday). I'm doing a bunch of computer/paper work, but not housework yet. DH always does a lot, but is really doing double duty now.

The weight restriction is real. I can feel the pull on the expander if I have more than a plate in the hand. I'm not ready to go back to my very physical job yet, as I'm not even cleared for OT yet, but everyday regular stuff is getting easier- i just cant get back into my building!!! The multiple doors with all the suction between are WAY to heavy for me to open! I tried with my non surgery side once, and I guess your body naturally uses ALL the chest muscles, not good. So I stand and wait for someone else to do it.

Now, if the intense itching would just go away!

• Kendara
    Options

Dancemom- so glad to hear your pathology came back good and your drains are out. I hope you continue to feel stronger as each day goes by. I’m impressed that you are walking so many miles per day! My neoadjuvant chemo gave me terrible neuropathy which makes walking painful.

My surgeon called today and gave me mixed news. The good news is that my nodes were cancer-free and I had clear margins around what was taken out of the breast. The bad news is that I had some residual cancer in the breast and here is the weird twist: it was estrogen receptor positive. I have an appointment with my MO in February to discuss my treatment plan going forward. I know it will involve radiation; that was always expected with TN and a lumpectomy. But now it may also involve hormonal therapy. So I feel relieved that the cancer is out of my body, and fearful of just how much additional treatment I will have to endure to lower my risk of recurrence. 😞

Kendara

• dancemom
    Options

Kendara, lying in bed for 2 weeks did wonders for my feet! 😉. Actually, my job is very physical and I'm trying to work my energy levels back up. I am probably having radiation, I met with RO before surgery, and have an appointment coming up, but my case is "out of the box" as my MO says, so there is still some debate as to what the team is recommending. I am on hormone therapy (letrozole) and also Ibrance pre-surgey. I will add that back after radiation.

I did all the arm excersises today and it feels GOOD to move!!!

Happy you got it OUT! 👏👏👏

• vandercat
    vandercat Member Posts: 43
    Options

Kendara - Your experience is interesting to me because I'm creeping up on something similar. I had bilateral biopsies in late December and was diagnosed with DCIS in January. I spoke to one breast surgeon, who, along with the RO, wanted to see results of two additional biopsies, scheduled for five days from now. The complication is that I have a second opinion consult with a more experienced surgeon in two days. I don't know what to expect. I am scared stiff of surgery, radiation, and Arimidex, all of which have been promised to me,

• ilenef
    ilenef Member Posts: 8
    Options

Surgery over! Surprises: I didn't know that the Sentinel Node Biopsy would mean such a large excision under my armpits. Big 'smiley faces' at the top of each breast under my armpit. I can't feel anything from the lumpectomies (bilateral), but my underarm areas are very tender. Great range of motion! That surprised me. And the radioactive tracer injected before surgery was a piece of cake...2 little pokes on each breast. Also notice slight low-grade fever. Switched from Tramadol (day of surgery) to Tylenol. Helps me feel better. Some coughing from breathing tube and a sore on my lip, all tolerable. Question: if the lumpectomies removed the biopsy clip and the Savi clip, how would the doctor know where to operate if additional surgery is needed to get clear margins?

Good luck to all of you with surgeries ahead!

• Kendara
    Options

ilenef- congratulations on having surgery done! I’m glad you are okay. I hope your healing process is smooth and quick. I’m one week out and still sore, but incisions seem to be healing. That’s a good question about how the surgeon would know where to operate if more tissue needs to be removed, but let’s hope that is unnecessary in your case!

Vandercat-I was terrified about surgery but I now have a feeling it might be the easiest part of my treatment! Depending on your age and the extent of the DCIS, and on the pathology of what was biopsied, hopefully you will be able to get by with just surgery and hormonal therapy. Good luck with the second opinion surgeon. It’s never a bad idea to get a second opinion.

Dancemom-I wish staying off my feet would help. I’m sick of being off my feet and wish they didn’t hurt so much so I could be more active and try to rebuild some strength. I wish you well with the upcoming RO appointment and hope you come up with a plan that you feel good about. I asked my nurse navigator whether I should be making an appointment with the RO and she said she would let me know.

Funny thing: the incision that hurts the most is where my port was removed, not the ones on my breasts! Go figure!

Still praying for those with upcoming surgeries!

Kendara

• dancemom
    Options

I hope all you January ladies are doing ok. I got my RO scheduled. Ctscan/mapping on March 1. Such a long process, all this treatment.

• prm
    prm Member Posts: 7
    Options

try slipping a sanitary napkin (thick) into your bra. The kind a hospital would give you. Not a thin one. I put on the outer side, toward the bottom of my bra when I had my lumpectomy. Someone recommended doing that on this website. I really worked well.