Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Should I switch from letrozole

Options
nancy2581
nancy2581 Member Posts: 407

I've posted about my cholesterol going up. I've been on letrozole for 4 years. The first year on it my cholesterol jumped 40 points 😡. I was looking through the files here which talks about all of the AI's only letrozole lists high cholesterol as a possible side effect. The others do not. Wouldn't they all cause high cholesterol as a possible side effect? If not, should I switch? If so which one should I try. I've been in contact with my oncologist about this as well

Thanks

Nancy

Comments

• nancy2581
    Options

just asked my oncologist to switch me to aromasin.

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,626
    Options

Hi Nancy!

I've been on Aromasin + Zoladex for 6+ years. I've only got ONE. MORE. YEAR. The worst thing I can say? Weight gain.

Hope you're doing OK otherwise. A couple of our July 2014 sisters checked in lately at our old thread.

• nancy2581
    Options

Hi Elaine. Good to hear from you. I am fine just annoyed with this rise in cholesterol. My new oncologist is running the BCI test to see if I need to stay on AI’s for 3 more years. January will be 7 years for me. Geez I hope I don’t have to stay on it any longer. Yep I hear you on the weight gain so annoying. Anyway hope you are doing well.

• elainetherese
    Options

Nancy,

My oncologist is supposed to be running the BCI test for me, too. I took a "Zoladex holiday" earlier this year, and I'm STILL NOT MENOPAUSAL! I'm 54 -- come on ovaries -- it's time to shut down! If the BCI says I'm good with seven years, I'd be happy to quit the Zoladex and the AI. But, since my ovaries are still cranking out the estrogen, I'm wondering if I want that estrogen. My oncologist says I can always have an ooph and surgically remove my ovaries, but I don't know. My cancer was Grade 3 because of an overexpression of HER2, though 95% of my cells were ER+/PR+. UGH. Choices, choices!

• nancy2581
    Options

Elaine one of my OB/GYN assistants said she didn't become postmenopausal until 59. Yikes. Chemo put me into menopause after the first round lol I was 51. I can't wait to get my BCI results back, but it can take a while. Thankfully my oncologist agreed to let me try aromasin because I quit letrozole as soon as I found out about my elevated cholesterol levels.

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Member Posts: 18
    Options

Elaine,

My mother didn’t finish menopause until she was 62! I am only 45 now, so I had my ovaries removed so I could switch from tamoxifen to letrozole. 2 years on T was causing liver issues. I am not having any problems, just some minor hot flashes.

But now I am more wary of the effects that can’t be seen, like heart issues and cholesterol.

• elainetherese
    Options

momof,

That's amazing! And, I could be like your Mom. Yeah, I do wonder about weird side effects of hormonal therapy. But, I basically feel fine.

• meistere
    meistere Member Posts: 5
    Options

I've been on Aromasin for 5+ years and have consistently had a higher cholesterol. It's right in the gray area of needing a cholesterol-lowering drug. So far, I haven't started one although I probably should have. I just keep thinking that if I can lose this extra weight it will go down! It's probably true but losing weight is 10x harder without estrogen!

• nancy2581
    Options

meistere - thanks for the comment. Honestly, I feel better on letrozole than aromasin. Aromasin affects my mood more than letrozole. Decisions, decisions. And yes to me it's nearly impossible to lose weight especially this time of year

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

I am on letrozole for 2 years and I was diagnosed recently with osteoporosis despite taking calcium and vitamin D. By my doctor advise I am taking bisphosphonate now. But in sève emails here I see that there is a lot of reticence taking this med. I am too tired of taking meds, chimiothérapie already made me feel older, but besides that there is a specific concern related to bisphosphonates. It there any other choice given that all anti hormones have se?

My hope is that if by my next bone density measurement, in a year, all be better and I can stop it. But it is just a hope and I like to here from you your suggestions. I try exercise everyday (moderate such as walking stretching).

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

I am on letrozole for 2 years and I was diagnosed recently with osteoporosis despite taking calcium and vitamin D. By my doctor advise I am taking bisphosphonate now. But in sève emails here I see that there is a lot of reticence taking this med. I am too tired of taking meds, chimiothérapie already made me feel older, but besides that there is a specific concern related to bisphosphonates. It there any other choice given that all anti hormones have se?

My hope is that if by my next bone density measurement, in a year, all be better and I can stop it. But it is just a hope and I like to here from you your suggestions. I try exercise everyday (moderate such as walking stretching).