Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Seroma following mastectomy

hi, I had a mastectomy just over 2 weeks ago. Unable to have lumpectomy as had one same breast 20 years ago. This time its a invasive lobular cancer with low positive oestrogen. Stared on exemestane a few days ago. Since the drain was removed have developed a seroma, first aspiration 200mls, then 400mls yesterday 160mls. Going back on Tuesday for more if necessary. In my exercise leaflet it says to stop more advanced exercises but Nurses and Doctor say to continue. Any advice or suggestions to reduce seroma would be appreciated.

Thank you. Spring should soon be here with brighter days ahead. Xx

Comments

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited January 2022

Ugh, seromas! The sloshy bane of breast surgery. I've had several. Yes, when I cut back on exercise it decreased the buildup of the seroma, but it's a risk-benefit thing. If you stop exercising you'll lose the benefit of exercise, and at least for me at that time in my life, exercise was a huge part of helping me feel ok. So maybe keep moving, but put the marathon training on hold for now.

Compression helps prevent seroma buildup as well. Find a couple of wide ace wraps and wind them around your chest reasonably tight. This is easier if you're flat, but it can be done if you've had a unilateral mastectomy. Someone to help wind around your back--a spouse, a family member, a roommate--makes this process easier. Good luck!

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited January 2022

And if you can place a sterile pad or two underneath that wrap (or surgical bra anything that covers and compresses the area), the extra spot compression will help reduce the seroma. Just don't wrap so tightly that it is uncomfortable. Snug is best. Hope it resolves quickly.

• Kangaroo1952
    Kangaroo1952 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2022

thank you for your reply I will give it a try.