Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Back to the waiting game

Options
momto3sons
momto3sons Member Posts: 68
edited August 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hello all! Back in early 2018 I went through a fun-filled MRI, followed by an MRI-guided biopsy which found atypical ductal hyperplasia. I had an excisional biopsy a couple of weeks after that, and luckily nothing else was found. Since then I've been seen at our high-risk breast clinic regularly, and have been on the mammogram/US + MRI rotating schedule - so each 6 months I'd have some form of screening.

Nothing major has shown up, other than a possible issue after my MRI in 2020. Luckily the follow-up ultrasound didn't find anything worth a biopsy (gotta love "lumpy" breasts!). But due to COVID - and I admit, just letting time get away from me - I haven't been back for an MRI or follow-ups with my doctor since early 2020. It's just been so hard to get anything scheduled! I did have my annual screening mammogram and u/s in January 2021, and all was good...just the usual cysts.

I went in today for my annual gynecologist exam, and when she was doing the breast exam she got to a spot on the lower+inner part of my right breast (the problem child lol) - she's like "oh, that feels a little suspicious". I do fairly regular self-exams, but I admit where she found the lump was probably a bit lower than I go. I had warned her ahead of time that I typically am pretty lumpy due to cysts and such, but she definitely seemed concerned about that little spot and went back to it a couple of times. The only thing I noticed was that it hurt a bit when she was hitting that spot - which I've never had that before, even with the known cysts. The pain with my cysts is usually a couple of weeks before I get my period, and I'm not in that window yet. And now I'm kicking myself for not asking her to show me exactly where she felt it - but at least I have a general idea.

I was already scheduled for my annual screening mammogram for 2/4, but she ordered a diagnostic mammogram - and the first one available is 2/23! I'm not overly concerned at this point, since it seems like a lot of what I've read here on the boards is that the lumps (or area where the lump is) don't hurt. I just wish I could get in earlier for the diagnostic so I don't have this hanging over my head for another month.

So for now I'll just keep an eye on that spot, and see if I notice any changes in the next 4+ weeks.

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited January 2022
    Options

Sorry for your concerns. As you probably know, breast cancer is rarely an emergency, so waiting that long will likely have no effect at all on your health, or treatment if needed. Of course, if anything changes, you want to let the doc know right away!

In the meantime, you could check with the imaging clinic and ask them to put you on a waiting list in case of cancelations. You might be able to get in earlier.

Also, find other things to do and think about between now and then, to distract you. Remember that "it is what it is" (a phrase I truly hate!) and that knowing sooner doesn't actually change anything, for good or for bad.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

• momto3sons
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thanks @MountainMia!

Luckily I'm not really anxious at all about this, since I've had several false alarms :). That's a great idea about adding me to the cancellation list - I'll see if they can do that.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2022
    Options

Maybe I'm easily amused today but "fun-filled MRI" made me laugh. :)

Don't worry about her not showing you exactly where it is, they will be able to see it if it's something to see. It will also keep you from obsessively poking and prodding at it for no reason, if that's something you're prone to do like me! Fingers crossed this is just another pesky nothing-lump.

• momto3sons
    edited January 2022
    Options

I'm pretty fortunate that the MRIs don't really bother me - just kinda boring laying there listening to all the weird noises lol.

Very good point about being prone to poking and prodding! She did note the location in my post-visit summary, so at least there something to go off of when I show up for my mammogram.

• momto3sons
    edited January 2022
    Options

Just a bit of an update - there was a cancellation, so luckily I'll be able to go in for the imaging on 2/7 instead of 2/23!

I'm still totally calm about this, which is much better than the roller coaster I was on 4 years ago. That being said, I'm glad they can get me in earlier.

• elamom
    elamom Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2022
    Options

I’m with you on the high risk, and regular scans and callbacks for various issues. Hoping the next few weeks go by quickly and that you get the all clear!

• momto3sons
    edited February 2022
    Options

UPDATE:

I had the diagnostic mammo followed by U/S today. Apparently the lump my doctor felt either wasn't visible, or not anything suspicious. I have an appointment with my high-risk doctor coming up soon, so I'll follow up with her.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,080
    edited February 2022
    Options

mom - sounds like good news. Hope the doc will confirm.

• momto3sons
    edited February 2022
    Options

Definitely good to get to BIRADS-2 score!

Although my breasts have now been upgraded to D-Extremely Dense - and they confirmed I'm "very lumpy" lol

• liveswithallboys
    liveswithallboys Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hello, I am new here and I was happy to find your post. I have had a mammogram, an ultrasound, an MRI, an MRI guided breast biopsy, and just received my results today. Precancerous atypical ductal hyperplasia. My next step is meet with a surgeon….in a month! Can someone tell me what I’m walking into with this appointment. No one has told me anything except my actual diagnosis.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 863
    edited August 2022
    Options

Liveswithallboys, atypical ductal hyperplasia is a non-cancerous breast condition. Because it sometimes becomes cancerous it is often removed surgically to prevent this from happening. It takes a long time for that transition (if it ever happens), so waiting to see the surgeon for a month is not too long. Anything related to cancer is scary, but try not to worry too much. Good luck at your appointment!