Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Magnesium supposed to be wonderful for fighting cancer

kipani
kipani Member Posts: 13
edited January 2022 in Alternative Medicine

Can't post links but read magnesium is supposed to be wonderful for fighting cancer. Best in walnuts. Also if read ovary removal is better for certain types horomone receptor positive long term than Tamiflixin or however you spell it. Just type it in Google, comes up in a medical journal. CELL i think.

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044
    edited January 2022

Kipani - Ovary removal or Tamox is NOT a treatment regime for HER2+ BC. Likely for hormone positive BC (ER/PR+) which is a totally different thing.

• kipani
    edited January 2022

I'm so sorry I'm still learning. I found this on this website. I thought HER2 was that. Thank you for correcting me.

premenopausal women, most of the estrogen in the body is made by the ovaries. Because estrogen makes hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers grow, reducing the amount of estrogen in the body or blocking its action can help shrink hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers and reduce the risk of hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers coming back (recurring).

In some cases, the ovaries (and usually the fallopian tubes) may be surgically removed to treat hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer or as a risk-reduction measure for women at very high risk of breast cancer. This is called prophylactic or protective ovary removal, or prophylactic oophorectomy. Removing the ovaries is one way to permanently stop the ovaries from producing estrogen. Medicines also can be used to temporarily stop the ovaries from making estrogen (called medical shutdown). Ovarian shutdown with medication or surgical removal is only for premenopausal women.

Prophylactic ovary removal

A 2008 study shows that premenopausal women who had their ovaries removed and took tamoxifen for 5 years after breast cancer surgery had a lower risk of the breast cancer coming back and better survival rates compared to premenopausal women who didn't have their ovaries removed and took tamoxifen after surgery

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2022

Kipani, what is your diagnosis? It would be helpful if you would include that on your signature line. When any of us offer this type of advice, it is helpful for readers to be able to put it in the context of our experience and diagnosis.

• kipani
    edited January 2022

Beesie you can read my story on this forum, but I was only just able to get the MRI Monday 7 months after initial symptoms. So i don't know what it is.

• LoriCA
    LoriCA Member Posts: 671
    edited January 2022

What does this have to do with Inflammatory Breast Cancer (the section you are posting in)?

There is a specific section of this board for Alternative Cancer Treatments like eating walnuts to cure your cancer.

• kipani
    edited January 2022

It's not an alternative treatment and it doesn't cure cancer. What it does is apparently help chemo be more effective. And walnuts are very high in magnesium. :/ I've read slot of supplements like Echinacea, curcumin, St. John's wort, valerian root, and allium interfere with chemo. But magnesium seems to help it.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited January 2022

Kipani - Have you been diagnosed with breast cancer? From your posts it doesn't seem that you have. Hopefully you will not be, but unless that happens, please keep your posts in the Undiagnosed section.

Magnesium is required in hundreds of cellular processes. Maintaining an optimal level is good for everyone.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Beesie's point is that a brief look at diagnosis & treatment are vital for members to comment. Very few are going to go back & read a detailed story in other old threads. so...I agree that the poster is definitely in the wrong thread.

First - if there is no diagnosis, you should be posting in a 'waiting' thread, maybe waiting for testing - definitely not IDC which is a medical diagnosis.

Second I agree with Lori that these type of suggestions are better posted in an alternative thread - not part of mainstream medicine but maybe a supplement.

Third - Wrenn is correct - If you have something to share - even on an appropriate thread - you should post the link or cite the scientific reference. Most of us have been around the block, perhaps more than once, and appreciate detailed research if available. Otherwise it's just like reading that fake "Dr" Google.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Kipani - I did go back and look at some of your older posts, It looks like you were directed to the "Not Diagnosed" threads several month ago. I agree with Serenity

• jhl
    jhl Member Posts: 174
    edited January 2022

Hi Kipani,

Like Minus, I have read your previous posts and I am concerned with your obsession with breast cancer and specifically with inflammatory breast cancer. That can happen when the fear becomes overwhelming. Did you ever get to Vancouver for your MRI? Most of us once reassured are able to go on living our normal lives. But, it seems as though this is still a hurdle for you.

You probably read this information on magnesium since it appeared on electronic medical newsletters in the last few days. The original work in Cell was just published last week. However, as much as an attention grabber as the title suggests, this is actually not news & does not relate to breast cancer specifically. It is an article speculating on the role magnesium plays in the function of CD8+T cells which are important in our immune defense against intracellular pathogens including viruses, bacteria and for tumor surveillance. However, the first sentence of the Summary is: "The relevance of extracellular magnesium in cellular immunity remains largely unknown." So, this is one of the thousands of papers scientists publish in their attempt to understand one of the most perplexing parts of humans - the immune system. We can thank all those who devoted their scientific lives to understand HIV therapy because those folks started this process more than 30 years ago.

Certainly, cell biology is a vast and interesting subject and papers like these are parts of it. However, we cannot take a simplistic approach to a complex topic. Neither walnuts, milk of magnesia or magnesium tablets will help any of us treat our cancers. Some of the people on this website need to receive magnesium because of what their treatments do to normal magnesium homeostasis. As Serenity stated, maintaining an optimal level is good for everyone.

Fortunately, I have not required some of the therapies many of these women have had to undergo. However, I understand those therapies in depth because that is what I do - understand how drugs work within our bodies, both the good and the bad. I really know what magnesium does not just as an element but also as a drug. Promoting a simplistic statement such as you made is a bit insulting to those of us who like me, not only knows what a drug can do but to all the thousands of women who are trying to just live with this awful disease, some of whom are oncologists & cell biology scientists.

I would encourage you to follow up with your mental health. Also, do what you said you would do on November 30 - post in the proper forum.

Thank you and I do wish you the very best,

Jane

• kipani
    edited January 2022

Thanks jhl that's very kind of you to explain. I got my MRI on Monday but have yet to get results.

• jhl
    jhl Member Posts: 174
    edited January 2022

Kipani,

You are welcome and I look forward to your results in the Waiting for Results area of the forum.

To all of you who have IBC, I apologize for stepping into your forum.

Jane

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,717
    edited January 2022

Hi Kipani,

I was interested in your post and looked up the link- indeed, it was reported this week in CELL that magnesium has a special and critical role in immune (T) cell function. "T cells can eliminate abnormal or infected cells efficiently only in a magnesium-rich environment. Specifically, magnesium is important for the function of a T cell surface protein called LFA-1." and "The fact that magnesium is essential for the functioning of T cells may be a highly significant finding for modern cancer immunotherapies. These therapies aim to mobilize the immune system -- in particular cytotoxic T cells -- to fight cancer cells. In experimental models, the researchers were able to show that the immune response of T cells against cancer cells was strengthened by an increase in the local magnesium concentration in tumors. "In order to verify this observation clinically, we're now looking for ways to increase the concentration of magnesium in tumors in a targeted manner,"

So although all cells have magnesium, high levels in the tumor microenvironment may be required for T cell activation at the level needed to deal with fighting cancer. Moreover, quite a few people here have had very bad leg/calf cramps when taking I-F or other endocrine therapies, which is helped by supplementing with magnesium, suggesting that it could indeed be limiting..

Here is a link to the lay description of the report:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/01/2201...

Thank you for making this post, I had missed the story...

• LoriCA
    LoriCA Member Posts: 671
    edited January 2022

No worries Jane. Your post was informative and appreciated.

Kipani I too have read your posts. IBC symptoms, especially the discoloration, do not come and go. Once symptoms start they rapidly progress. When I was undergoing rads for a recurrence in my skin my radiation plan had to be redone twice in one month because the redness was spreading practically right in front of our eyes. You posted that your rash disappeared for two months, so it is highly unlikely that you have IBC. I'd suggest that you might want to consult a dermatologist if you have a rash that comes and goes.

Lori

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,717
    edited January 2022

PS Kipani, I believe you would want to post your finding on this link: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/73/topics...

• beatingbc
    beatingbc Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2022

Magnesium supposed to be wonderful for fighting cancer: So, I bring up this - Has anyone tried RSO just looking for alternatives, I read several testimonials from links on other sites that had been posted. Just wondering if there are other remedies and scientific data that back up either and/or sodium bicarbonate, essentials oils or rso, which is a big thing now because of the documented evidence that I had read.

• beatingbc
    edited January 2022

RSO oil has promising effects to kill cancer cells too. There have been many people that have posted other alternatives, but rso, has that most positive effect, thus far. Hope there are others that can attest to this. I have read posts in the past about non pharmacuticuls and the positive effects, but those post have been deleted from breastcancer.org, which I do not undterstand why.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited January 2022

beatingBC,

It is very, very unusual for posts to be deleted unless they violate the forum rules. I have been a bco member for 10 years and have never seen a post removed for any reason other than rule violations or, rarely, because a member requests that the moderators remove all of their posts. Also, this topic belongs in the alternative forum.

RSO, Rick Simpson Oil, has been around for a long time and you will find many, many testimonials and anecdotes regarding its use. However, all the anecdotes in the world don’t equal data. Do you have links to any research based studies on RSO?

• beatingbc
    edited January 2022

As I have been researching, yes, actually. So you can search them yourself. There have been other posts too. https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/comp_med/types/medical-marijuana

However it states that one should not forgo their regular treatments, why? Conventional treatments can, may, might and could cause more cancer in the long run. All you have to do it research it, which you have not done.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2022

beatingBC,

I am well aware of potential uses for cannabis with regards to cancer. I started the thread “ Cannabis Basics" and use cannabis daily. I believe it can be very helpful for symptom relief such as pain or appetite loss. The link you provided to the bco article on cannabis makes no mention of RSO.I always do my own research but have yet to find any science based research to support the claims you've made about RSO. Testimonials and anecdotes are not data. Again, if you have specific, science based research on the efficacy of RSO, please be kind enough to share a link to that research.

I also apologize for posting this in the IBC forum. BeatingBC, let's keep this convo on the alternative forum as I see you have posted there

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2022

MODERATORS,

This is the IBC forum and I don't mean to overstep, but Could you move this thread to the Complementary Forum?

It seems to me that when someone starts a post in an inappropriate forum, we shouldn't compound the mistake by allowing the discussion to continue in that forum when it's easy to get the thread moved to a more appropriate forum.

• beatingbc
    edited January 2022

Wrong, this forum is under - Topic: Magnesium supposed to be wonderful for fighting cancer, not just for IBC. My rights to my post should be correct, as it is relevant in all aspects. People, why in the world are you all so negative? This post is not right and should be moved to another sector....bla. bla.bla This site is to HELP no matter what alternative medicines are used, be it magnesium, rso or any other. They should be appropriate in a number of different forums, not just one. I this post homeopathy treatment, that people can use their own judgment on their own research, that is why this forum was used. Whatever the dx of BC, using magnesium or any other alternative. Just reaching out and I am awed to these comments. You all are so MY cancer and it is a specific Cancer, only to you. Hold the phone, those that are here are looking for options, do not be so defensive in YOUR OWN forum people. Really bad karma.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited January 2022

BeatingBC--this thread is posted in the IBC Forum. If you look at the top of the page you will see it. The reason it needs to be moved is that people diagnosed with IBC are coming to the forum in search of support and answers, and shouldn't have to sift through a bunch of non-IBC information. Alternative medicine posts should be kept in the appropriate section of the forum, as should posts pertaining to certain diagnoses, treatments, etc. It just makes for ease of navigating.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2022

This is indeed the IBC forum however the thread regarding magnesium was started here in error. Posting threads in the correct forum is simply an organizational tool that makes it easier for members to find information specific to their concerns. We do have an alternative forum that anyone can access as the rest of bco is essentially geared toward conventional tx. Suggesting that you place your posts in places that make organizational sense is not negative. It simply makes it easier to members to find things pertinent to them in the thousands of threads that exist here. Those looking for options will find some on the alt threads. I am signing off this thread as this has nothing to do with IBC and hope the mods move it to the alt forum. Take care.

Topic: Magnesium supposed to be wonderful for fighting cancer

Forum: IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for IBC. Posting pictures of symptoms is prohibited per our Community Rules -- you are encouraged to seek medical advice from your doctor in the event of any concerns.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

I agree - this is an IBC forum - NOT an alternative medicine forum. I too have sent a PM to the Mods to reposition & REMOVE/delete from this IBC thread.

Sorry to intrude on you ladies who are actually dealing with IBC

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2022

Mods, thanks. You rock

• minustwo
    edited January 2022

Yes - thanks Mods