Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

First biopsy tomorrow

Options
2»

Comments

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

Regardless of their office policy, AND the results, a patient calling in twice warrants a call back. NO? This is awful.

Do you have a patient portal? If you absolutely cannot wait, it's possible the results are posted there. I get an email when something goes into my portal.

I know some prefer getting answers directly from their doctor, and others need to know right away. I'm a need to know gal, and seeing posts like this makes me glad to know I've never waited this amount of time. My 1 post treatment biopsy I was called the next day. After surgery my pathology was back in 4 days. My best wishes to you, Elamom!

• elamom
    elamom Member Posts: 37
    Options

ctmbsikia,

This is exactly what my issue is. Benign or not, leaving us hanging this long when I know she's had the results at least two days is ridiculous. I liked the dr and office so much when I was there for my biopsy, but this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I needed to hear that this is not the norm everywhere.

• elamom
    Options

They just called and it's BENIGN!!! I didn't realize how stressed I was until they told me that, and now I can't stop crying. They did say it has to come out, and we will discuss more at my appointment tomorrow. I'll update afterward!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Elamom, as I understand the new law in the US, all your results are supposed to be posted to the patient portal as soon as they're available. Are they not there?

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

YEA! Glad they called you!

• elamom
    Options

moth,

I believe so. My obgyn always posts reports right away on the portal. I'm a new patient with this surgeon and don't have a portal yet though. I've learned a lot for the future from this experience though, and will ask a lot more if I'm ever in this situation again

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Elamom, are you in the States? If so, you should be able to view your results online through MyChart or whatever patient portal you have.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

Don't assume anything! It's possible they are simply waiting until your appointment since you have an appointment so soon. Doctors are super busy right now and a phone call might require spare time she doesn't have to give. I've gotten both good and bad news both in person and via telephone. You can't predict the results of a biopsy based on the method of communication! If you want to take your husband, take him. I think that could be a good idea regardless of the results.

Waiting suuuuuuuuuuucks though. I get it. I always tell my doctors I'd prefer they call me with results rather than waiting.

Edit: OOPS! Didn't realize there was a whole second page of comments. YAY FOR BENIGN RESULTS!!

• jo-jo2018
    jo-jo2018 Member Posts: 139
    Options

Fantastic news Elamom!

• tyggerj
    tyggerj Member Posts: 13
    Options

Elamom

I’m very happy for you. Now you can take a deep breath and relax

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    Options

Elamom, many people have the experience that it is good to have a second person with you, regardless of the results. They can serve as a second set of ears, make sure you get your questions answered, and just be a comfort. So, if Covid protocols permit, we think you may want to consider someone going with you.

• vandercat
    vandercat Member Posts: 43
    Options

Elamom - In my unofficial capacity as the Worst at Waiting for Results, I wish you the very best news tomorrow, whatever it is.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,099
    Options

Congrats Elamon. Or to second what the MODS posted, it's really hard to take it all in. If you aren't allowed to take a 2nd person with you for extra ears, many docs will let you record the appointment on your phone.

• elamom
    Options

Thank you all for all the support and advice!! I appreciate it SO much!

Met with the breast surgeon today and the pathology couldn’t exclude a benign or low grade phyllodes tumor. Then she checked the growth and she said said it’s grown a lot in just ten days, so she’s pretty confident it will come back as a phyllodes tumor. She was able to schedule me for this Friday to have it removed. Depending on the results of that I may move to posting in another forum.

Thanks again for all the support and I wish you all the best on your own journeys