Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exemestane (Aromasin)

Options
2»

Comments

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited July 2022
    Options

Sorry for the late response Mika. Considering that we are taking powerful anti-estrogen medications, I could say that mood and memory are OK. My theory is that being in these drugs is like a forever menopausal symptoms and mood, memory, skin, etc. come with it. Still, much better than letrozole.

How are you doing?

• mikamika
    mikamika Member Posts: 242
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi Lilly,

Thanks for the update! I'm doing fine. To be honest, I'm tired to complain :) Do you know how this "steroid" component in Aromasine works? It looks like my MO doesn't want me to change meds. Of course, I can push for Aromasine. I'm just afraid to get new side effects.

• twolutzjo
    twolutzjo Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi ......haven't been on in awhile. I was on Letrozole for 2 years and then started having awful SE. My MO switched me to Aromasine. I have been on it for about 9 months. Does anyone out there have any of these SE? I will feel good for several days and then I am hit with NO energy and I so nothing or go to bed to sleep. Also has anyone had itching of skin? Can't figure out the cause of these 2 SE. Any help would be appreciated.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi twolutzju, I to have periods of zero energy. I always blame myself and say I don;t exercise enough but it is hard to exercise when my body doesn't want to move. I was on letrozole for 2 years and develooped SE's so switched to exemestane 6 months ago. I still have hot flashes, and periods of fatigue, mild increase in joint pain. I was stage one, grade one, so wonder if i need to continue taking this. Did anyone else just stop? I am at such low risk for reoccurrance that the long term SE's might be not worth the issues I have now.

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    edited October 2022
    Options

lilyishere, Still doing better on exemestane instead of letrozole? I am doubtful it would make a difference for me. I feel like my muscle and joint pain may be from lack of estrogen. I have felt awful on all of them, and I think my cholesterol medicines (I have tried several of those also) are contributing to the problem. I feel hopeless.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited October 2022
    Options

jrnj, so sorry to hear about the pains you are going through with these meds. Yep, they are very harsh. I started month 8 on exemestane and it seems like a breeze compared with letrozole. Letrozole was killing me slowly. If you want to give exemestane a second chance, I was told that you need to take 6 weeks of vacation time without any medication. This way the body will purge the old medicines and have a chance to bounce back. Then you'll start the new medication. Try to be like a solder, put it in the calendar, start in week 6 and and take it in the exact days and times. Take it after a meal preferably at lunchtime with lots of water. Give it a try. Not before bedtime and not on an empty stomach. I heard from so many people that exemestane is so much easier. The cons are that interacts with other medications, herbs, and supplements. Right now I am only taking a small amount of calcium supplement and vitamin D. I hope it will work for you. I feel terrible for the pain we go through with these meds. Like surgeries, radiation, and chemos are not enough. Sending you virtual hugs and good vibes.