Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

inverted nipple and abnormal mammogram

Options
kzindc
kzindc Member Posts: 1
edited February 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

Last Thursday I had my first mammogram. I am 42 years old and had my first mammogram scheduled the month after the initial covid lockdown in 2020. I put it off for 2 years because I don't want to go into a hospital if not nexeasary due to covid. I received notice Thursday evening that they found abnormalities in mu mammogram. both breast had focal assymetry and I has a mass in my lower left inner quadrant. The technician also commented that I had an inverted nipple on the left breast that has the mass. I never noticed it before, but she was right, it does look like my nipple is inverting into itself. I am scheduled tomorrow for diagnostic testing: tomo sonogram, ultrasound and if necessary, biopsy. I am happily married with 2 young boys, a 7 years old and a 10 year old who has high functioning autism. My boys were home all last year because of covid. we hired a teacher for my youngest and invited 3 other boys from his class to have virtual kindergarten in mu basement. I was the one responsible for supporting my oldest son with autism with virtual school which ended up being a full time job. I am so mad at myself for putting off this mammogram and I am a nervous wreck about what I will find out tomorrow.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited February 2022
    Options
    My cancer went undiagnosed for several years. I try not to worry about it because what's done is done and it can't be changed now. Don't beat yourself up about it because it won't help anything! Focus on now and the future.
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited February 2022
    Options

Dear kzindc,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for what you are dealing with. We are glad that you reached out for support. You have come to the right place to connect with others who are worried and waiting on results. Try no to jump too far ahead of yourself. We know that that is easier said than done. Try not to look back and blame yourself. Everyone here can respond to that better than we the moderators for many here have had similar worries. Sounds like you have been pretty busy and Covid and all that came with it has impacted so many in so many ways. We are here and ready to direct you to support and information and helpful links and tips. Keep us posted and let us know how we and all of us can be a help to you now and going forward.

The Mods

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,078
    edited February 2022
    Options

KZ - You did say it was your first mammo. Because there's no other screening to compare, it's not at all unusual to have a call back for future testing. Hope your results are B-9. Keeping you in our thoughts.

• elamom
    elamom Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2022
    Options

So sorry you’re dealing with this! It’s so stressful. I’ve been waiting for biopsy results for the last week.

We are close in age, and I also have a little guy who is on the spectrum.

Hope all goes well, keep us posted.

• gm51
    gm51 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound in December 2022—thought I felt a lump—results were normal. Exactly one week ago, I noticed blood spots staining one bra cup three days in succession. Long story short: bloody discharge from one nipple. My gynecologist referred me to a breast surgeon for further evaluation. She is concerned about partial inversion of the affected nipple, and suspects a growth behind it, though nothing can be palpated. I’m scheduled for another diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Of course I’m scared to death and imagining the worst.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    Options

Hi @gm51,

That is definitely a stressful experience and quite understandable for you to feel scared. When are your diagnostic mammogram and ultrasounds scheduled for? Waiting is one of the hardest parts. We're in your pocket for support!

• gm51
    Options

Thank you for responding. The uncertainty is making it difficult to carry on with my daily activities. This happened so quickly! I am a 20 year survivor of uterine cancer, and I remember well the panic of not knowing. My mammogram and ultrasound are scheduled for tomorrow. I will have those results after the tests, at least. If something is lurking (possibly behind the nipple), I get a biopsy (which also scares the bejeebers out of me 😱). If the tests don’t reveal an area of concern, I’ll be scheduled for an MRI.

• gm51
    Options

lotusconnie1999 Thank you very much for your response to my post! Today I had an ultrasound which was completely normal 🤷🏻‍♀️. So my doctor has scheduled an MRI. So strange that nothing has turned up on the ultrasound.