Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hormonal treatment

Options

Hi! Can you tell me how to determine the menopausal status? What laboratory analises i need to do if i'm not sure if i am at menopause or premenopause? Thank you!

Comments

• mle42
    mle42 Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi Larisa, my oncologist ordered FSH and estradiol (E2) bloodwork to determine menopausal status. It's not always conclusive, though, and can require repeat testing to see trends.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,078
    Options

My GYN told me my menopausal status first by physical exams

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

I'm told from several doctors that 12 months without periods starts the menopause.

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 269
    Options

I was tested several times and the gyn doctor told me the hormone test results were my levels at the time of testing. Based on testing I was told on two different occasions that I was menopausal but nope I wasn’t and my cycle had started up again. I guess mle42 is right trends need to be considered

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    Options

my hormoneblood levels were tested I think? But after missing a period for a year the medical world considersyou menopausal. I had no period for almost a year then had one. But then the following year never had another period.

So when you finally go into menopause it's sorta like sputtering off and on periods with longer no period episodes between I think.