Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Core needle biopsy report

Options
jo-jo2018
jo-jo2018 Member Posts: 139

Hey,

So I got my biopsy report back and it says under final diagnosis:

Metastatic breast carcinoma, ductal, grade 3/3.

Does this mean stage lV ?

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

hi, no it doesn't necessarily mean that. Whenever breast tissue is found outside the breast, even in a sentinel lymph node for example, pathology will classify that as metastatic tissue. Whether or not it's stage 4 depends on where in the body that tissue is found.

What areas did you have biopsied?

• jo-jo2018
    Options

Thank you for this moth.

My biopsy was my cervical node in my neck

• jo-jo2018
    Options

Oops, I deleted my post accidentally

So I got my biopsy report back and it says under final diagnosis:

Metastatic breast carcinoma, ductal, grade 3/3.

Does this mean stage lV ?

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

I hope you get to speak to your oncologist soon. This might be 3C if it's the same side as your original primary. Staging distant lymph nodes is an area of controversy right now - an area of ongoing research.

I'd expect full scans to check everything right now. I'm sorry you're going through this Heart

• jo-jo2018
    Options

Thank you Moth,

Yes, it is the same side as the primary

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 257
    Options

JoJo2018,

Sorry to see you getting the dx results. I know it took you more time then it should have to find out.

I wish you the best in your Treatment Plan.

• jo-jo2018
    Options

Thank you wondering44. Yes it has been a very long wait to get my dx. Hoping soon i will get a treatment plan.

• whatnow
    whatnow Member Posts: 20
    Options

The grade is different than the stage. You can see from your own initial dx that you were stage IIB, but grade 3. I am no pathologist, but I understand the grade is calculated based on the characteristics of the cancer, in three different areas, each scored 1-3, then averaged to create this score. 3 is the top number, and your grade is the same as you listed for your initial dx. My own was 3, 2, and 1 = 6 divided by 3,meant my score was 2. So it’s not pertaining to stage. All the best to you.

• jo-jo2018
    Options

Thanks for this whatnow,

I was concerned about the "metastatic" phrase but moth cleared that up for me.