Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lipofilling or Implants?

Options
MissPears
MissPears Member Posts: 1
edited February 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

Good evening,

I had a lumpectomy and a second operation to remove further breast tissue last year following a diagnosis of breast cancer. The second operation left my nipple attached to scar tissue so has become unpleasant to look at. My operated breast is also smaller than my other breast.

I am dueto have reconstruction surgery next month and I’ve been given two options. Implants or lipofilling (taking fat from my stomach).

I have done some extensive research into both options but would love to hear from anyone who has had either procedure if you would be happy to share your experience. Im finding the decision really hard as I want this to be the last surgery I need.

Thank you

Comments

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 101
    edited February 2022
    Options

I had lipofilling / fat grafting to fill out a divot near the bottom of one of my DIEP recon breasts. No belly fat after DIEP so taken from my flanks. I’d say it was 50% retained so better, not perfect. I may try more with thigh fat. Fat grafts are often around half reabsorbed as I understand it. I’d personally lean towards that rather than an implant if I was in that situation since no foreign materials in the body - that’s why I did DIEP for my recon. But I would ask the PS if there will be sagging belly skin from ta abdominal fat graft and take that into account. Also did the PS indicate that one of these would provide you with a better aesthetic outcome? I have no experience with implants so hopefully others will chime in

Hope your results turn out great. no matter what you choose.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited February 2022
    Options

MissPears - I had a BMX with immediate reconstruction and expanders. I had my exchange to implants and fat grafting from my abdomen in July. I heard stories of how painful the lipoed areas would be, but all of it was very easy for me. I was numb and a bit sore, but felt like I could've walked 3/4 miles two days after surgery.

As abigail mentioned above, make sure you ask about sagging skin in the area they will fat graft and if they will correct it. Will they do anything to make sure the other breast matches (i.e. lift)

I'm having issues with my implants as they came out to big and are causing me neck and shoulder problems, and I have the sensation of wearing a tight bra 24/7, it's so uncomfortable. I met with my PS and I will most likely being doing a DIEP in May (should've did it in the first place). I have met so many other ladies who have had no issues with their implants and are happy as can be with them. For whatever reason, my body does not seem to like them. I should mention that I had radiation after implants were placed, so that could have caused some of my issues.

In the end it's going to be a personal decision, but making sure you are fully informed will make that decision much easier.

My best to you and I hope your results turn out great!