Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Best options for Pain Management

Options
charlierun
charlierun Member Posts: 17
edited February 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

Hi, I am scheduled for a PPMX with Diep flap reconstruction in April and have questions about pain management. From all my research it sounds like it could be quite painful and I know some people have been able to get a nerve block which helps for the first couple of days postop for pain management. I’m not sure if that option is available to me yet but will find that out in another couple of weeks. I thought I would ask those that have undergone this type of reconstruction what medication they found most helpful for them to obtain relief from pain following this type of surgery. I am not brave, very fearful of the intense suffering I can experience postoperatively and feel the best way to cope with this anxiety is to have an idea of what type of medication I should ask for when I see the doctor preoperatively. I tried Tramadol for the first time after my breast reduction last year and did not feel it was very effective in reducing pain. I had the breast reduction to prepare for the PBMX as advised by my plastic surgeon.