Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Biopsy next week

Options
Sher1263
Sher1263 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2022 in Waiting for Test Results

Hi,

I’m 58 years old and they found microcalcifications in right breast back in August..I was told likely benign Birads 3. I was told to follow up on 6 months. Had 6 month diagnostic mammogram yesterday. I was told there are more microcalcifications in the same area so they need to biopsy..Birads 4. So I’m scheduled for biopsy next Wednesday. I’m quite worried. So how did y’all handle telling family. Of course my husband knows but adult kids don’t yet. Ironically, one daughter is an oncologist. Of course I’m going to tell them all afterwards but I can’t decide whether to tell them prior biopsy or not wait. 3 of my 4 kids’ father died of cancer when they were small, so there is some trauma there as well. Anyway thanks for listening and I appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited March 2022
    Options

sher,

Sorry that you find yourself here. Your question is a common concern. Regardless of what I or anyone else did, you know your family best. My children were also adults when I was dx'ed. As a family we have always been honest and open about health matters so I treated this no differently. My dd's are quite level headed and wanted to be in the loop, though older dd does not like hospitals! Being upfront from day one worked for us so think about what will work best for you. Take care

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited March 2022
    Options

Sher1263 just wanted to say I am glad you are being thorough and pursuing further evaluation. With Birads 4 you have a pretty decent chance of benign findings and I hope that is the case for you. Wishing you well.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited March 2022
    Options

Birads 4 means probably benign, so I don't think there's any pressure to tell them yet if you don't want to. On the other hand, they are adults, and if you have the type of relationship with them where you share everyday worries and concerns, I don't think there's any reason not to tell them either. Your daughter who is an oncologist will be well placed to know that birads 4 is not something to worry about yet, but you might need to explain it to your other children that though this is on your mind, the likelihood is that it will be benign, and if malignant, will be early stage and very treatable.

When you say tell them after the biopsy, I'm assuming you mean after the biopsy results? If just the biopsy itself but before results, I don't see any point in treating it differently than the fact of the biopsy.

• dani_p
    dani_p Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2022
    Options

Very similar situation here. Went for screening mammogram beginning of last week (I have been very good about going once a year due to family history) - was called back which is not new to me (extremely dense breasts, lots of cysts in my past). However, was called back for "grouped microcalcifications." Diagnostic mammogram with magnification confirmed that spot was considerably changed from previous mammograms. BIRADS 4, biopsy scheduled for Thursday morning. Trying to be optimistic, but also wanting to prepare myself. I'll be turning 50 in a little over a week, so I'm hoping to get results before then.

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi Dinap, we do have very similar situations. Everyone keeps telling me that Birads4 is often benign but I’m still terrified. I did end up telling my daughter who is an oncologist and she sounded like there is a fair chance it’s DCIS, which is not the outcome I want but far better than a lot of the other outcomes. Good luck Thursday and I’m hoping we both get benign results.

• dani_p
    edited March 2022
    Options

Sher.... everything I'm seeing/reading is leading me to believe it might be DCIS, too, which exactly like you said wouldn't be ideal but could be way worse. Good luck tomorrow with your biopsy, and let me know how that goes! This will be my first biopsy/marker so I'm a little nervous about it (also, have to go to work afterwards.....easy day, but still....)

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

I will let you know how tomorrow goes and I am very nervous also as it’s my first biopsy.

Sher

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2022
    Options

hi sher, just stopping by to say hi and to wish you well with your biopsy tmrw. A few suggestions: Make sure to ice the area after the procedure, but don’t be alarmed if the breast is bruised for a few days. Take Tylenol about an hour prior to your appointment. Ask the radiologist when he/she thinks results will come in, and if he/she will immediately call you, or if you should make a follow up appt to get the results. Or possibly will the results come through you My Chart, if you have one?

As you can tell by my stats, I was dx’d with DCIS in 2017 after my initial mammogram located pleomorphic microcalcifications, birads 4c. I chose a bmx as my treatment in lieu of lumpectomy with radiation, simply because the DCIS was in the left breast… too close to the heart for radiation.

You can do this!!!! We all will be thinking of you. Gets good nights rest. Take care, and Please come back to give us your results.

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you robin! I quite nervous this morning but trying to hang in there.

• jo-jo2018
    jo-jo2018 Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2022
    Options

Sending positive vibes to you Sher and Dani, hoping for beneign results

• dani_p
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thinking of you this morning, Sher! Good luck!

Thanks, Jo-jo! Can use all the positive vibes! Happy

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thanks Jojo and Dani!

Mine is done. It was uncomfortable at times for sure but nothing terrible. They said results maybe tomorrow afternoon, if not Friday. I confirmed they will call me with results. Good luck tomorrow Dani!!

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

I’m thinking about you today Dani! Good luck with your biopsy!

• jo-jo2018
    edited March 2022
    Options

Glad the process was not terrible Sher. Try occupy yourself with something fun to distract you while you wait for your results.

Good luck for today Dani

• dani_p
    edited March 2022
    Options

It's done. I was in a chair, and the worst part was the compression. I had read that the biopsy needle sounds like a nail gun but it still startled me! They said I should probably have results early next week.

How are you feeling today, Sher? I'm currently icing.......

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hey Dani,

I’m doing good today, physically anyways. Not much bruising and only a little sore. At least we got that part over! Now mentally I go between a strange feeling of peace to sheer panic …back and forth! Hopefully we both get benign results and quickly!!

Sher

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

I got wonderful news on my biopsy, it was benign, I don’t have the actual path report yet but I’m so relieved. Good luck to all of you. Dani, good luck and please let us know once you get your results

• dani_p
    edited March 2022
    Options

Sher that’s fantastic! So happy for you! I’ll let you know what I find out.

• jo-jo2018
    edited March 2022
    Options

Great news Sher!

Still in my thoughts Dani

• dani_p
    edited March 2022
    Options

I got my results this morning...........intraductal papilloma. It's benign but I will need a surgical excision to remove more tissue, I guess.

• Sher1263
    edited March 2022
    Options

Oh hey Dani, I’m glad it’s benign. Sorry you have to face another procedure! Please keep us posted