Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Neoadjuvant Arimidex or other endocrine therapy?

sarahmaude
sarahmaude Member Posts: 336

So my treatment plans keep getting bounced around. I thought I'd be having surgery pretty soon, but my tumor is relatively large, and I unfortunately developed a Deep Vein Thrombosis in my upper arm after the IV from my breast MRI on 2/25.

Until yesterday, I still thought that there was a plan for addressing my Xarelto (anti clot drug) and current clots that wouldn't preclude or delay surgery, but yesterday afternoon, my BSO and MO decided to "freeze" and perhaps shrink my tumor using Arimidex. I can't take Tamoxifen due to the clotting issue, so I'm going straight to Arimidex, and will start today. They are targeting a period of 3-4 weeks and then reevaluating.

Has anyone else had their hormone blocking before surgery? How did that work for you? I found a few papers that say it's a reasonable option.

The Arimidex super thread is kind of overwhelming. I've read a few of the pages and know it's . With the slow page loading, it's even harder to use. Does anyone have other thoughts for me? Frankly, I'm nervous for some of the side effects, but I'm typically not a person who is at the most susceptible to side effects, so I'm trying to be positive.

Comments

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2022

On the recommendation of the Tumor Board, I did 7 months of letrozole before my first surgery. On the plus side, it knocked the ki-67 down under 1% and shrunk my tumor somewhat. On the minus side, that long wait made my anxiety shoot up. I did have hot flashes but not too bad.

I went back on letrozole after I finished chemo. Now I have fewer hot flashes but more joint aches.

I hope you qualify for surgery soon!

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    edited March 2022

TXLorelie, thank you! I’m glad you ended up with a somewhat smaller tumor. Yes, the anxiety is really hard. As long as I stay busy, it’s better for me. And honestly, I don’t regret the day I let myself sulk. I’m feeling more settled tonight, and hearing from you helps.