Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Help understanding new pathology

Options
armom4
armom4 Member Posts: 82

I have an appointment with a new oncologist at the end of the month. They must be working up my case because I just had a new pathology report post to mychart. I think they re-examined my slides. Everything's the same as the original surgical pathology except for the term "lobular involvement." Here's what it says exactly:

"Ductal carcinoma in situ, high nuclear grade, solid pattern with lobular involvement. 28mm in largest dimension (see comment)

Comment: there is a 3mm invasive component on the biopsy specimen. No residual IDC on the surgical pathology.

Questions:

1. Does this mean I actually had some LCIS too?

2. Does a lobular component mean more aggressive?

3. Does lobular have higher recurrence rates?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks yall!

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    edited March 2022
    Options

You should ask for clarification from your new docs, but I would interpret this report as showing DCIS in the lobules. LCIS or lobular invasion is not mentioned in the report as a pathological finding, rather it appears to be a location of the DCIS. This is known as cancerization of the lobules (CL or COL) and I also had this on my pathology report, and it means the DCIS has spread through both ducts and lobules.

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    edited March 2022
    Options

Echoing specialk to talk to your doctors, but I read it to say there was some evidence of a tiny 3mm Invasive component. It doesn’t specify IDC or ILC, but it appears the 3mm invasion was all there was. No residual involvement, so they got it all.

Add it to your list of questions. I don’t foresee that it will change your treatment or prognosis based on my embarrassing amount of research. Not a medical professional, just a persistent geek.

• armom4
    armom4 Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thanks ladies!