Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Biopsy Monday and wigged out

Options
jogirl1970
jogirl1970 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone,

I went in for a US and mammo for unrelated issue. I had an inflammed Montgomery Gland that had healed - no other issues but still looked wonky so doc said, I think it's a normarl artifact for you but lets just get an US to be sure. Well, the place I go requires DM whenever a US is ordered.

Mammo came back normal, US did not - they found a 2.0 x 0.8 x 0.4 cm area that they believe is a papilloma. They explained they think it is benign but I go for biopsy on Monday and I am completely wigged out. My reg mammo would have been July and now wondering many, many things. Why didn't this show up on the mammo (I do have dense tissue), do I need one on the other breast, why did they find it when it's not directly under or near the inflamed MG?

I am worried that it will require a surgery even if it is benign because papillomas from what I have read can turn into cancer and many have weird cells when they are removed.

Anyone have an advice? Can they REALLY tell that this thing is benign and / or is a papilloma?

I have been getting mammo's since 2005 or so and am 51 yo.

Thanks for any input. I have no friends here and just my hubs, I have been pacing the floor when not working today. I didn't sleep and got literally one hour of sleep last night.

WORRIED!

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2022
    Options

Imaging can only take us so far - if it's something atypical, they request a biopsy precisely because they cannot be sure what they're looking at. Approx 4/5 breast biopsies come back negative so it's fair to assume this will too, esp if their impression is papilloma. Just think of the biopsy just another tool to tell you what is happening in your body.

Odds are on your side & whatever the results or the next recommended steps, you will be able to handle it. Really, you will ...

hang in there, try to plan some fun stuff this weekend and put it out of your mind. Stay in the moment

• jogirl1970
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you, I am trying to find the positives. I just don't know how I am going to sleep till Monday. I am hopeful but now wondering if I need a US on the other breast. The person at the breast center said to ask the radiologist on Monday. I am just beside myself. I had no symptoms for this location but no one is listening to me. Like if I hadn't had the inflamed MG I would not have even been at the place til July and the finding isn't anywhere near the MG. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am so alone at the moment. I appreciate your time very much.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 676
    edited March 2022
    Options

I understand your worry but try not to get ahead of yourself. There is nothing like a tissue biopsy to get an accurate diagnosis. As you said dense breast tissue can sometimes be challenging to see what's going on. Just take a breath and remember there is nothing you can do to change what is possibly there. You just have to remain optimistic that they said it appears benign by appearance. We can't change our diagnosis but we can change the way we handle things. Keep busy this weekend and Monday will be here before you know it! If it is positive you will find the strength to handle the situation, one step at a time. Best wishes to you and enjoy your weekend!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited March 2022
    Options

I remember post BC diagnosis, surgery, chemo, and rads - when I went for a mamo on my remaining breast, there was something on my ultrasound that needed a biopsy. When I went to the breast surgeon I told her to just take the breast if there is something there. She told me to just stop, it was just scar tissue from my lift. What changed for me is when I was in that space in time where I didn't know what laid in front of me, a friend gave me valuable advice. She said, " just deal with what is in front of you, don't go down that road".

I would just go outside this weekend and enjoy nature, a local park, the beach, whatever is around wherever you live. Monday you can start worrying again. But remember, it is most likely going to be ok. Just stay on top of it, don't ever miss a mammogram. I hope this helps.

• jogirl1970
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you Cookie54, I am going to try. It is just awful...I have no friends here so it is hard being alone with this stuff. I am just hoping I can sleep tonight! Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it very much!

• jogirl1970
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you Homemom! I used to joke about 10 years ago - oh, when I am 52 I am gonna get a breast lift and reduction - am hoping I don't end up having a not very fun self-fulfilling prophecy! LOL! I will be 52 in April O.o

I am going to go to bed and hope for sleep. I went to bed last night and was up and pacing the house about an hour later.

I will try not to worry!

• monarchandthemilkweed
    monarchandthemilkweed Member Posts: 151
    edited March 2022
    Options

about 13 years prior to breast cancer I had a papilloma. It was biopsied and then removed in procedure much like a lumpectomy. Having been through that and then later breastcancer, the biopsy and surgical removal of the papilloma was easy for me and I was pregnant and in my second trimester at the time. You got this!

• jogirl1970
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi Monarchandmilkweed!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate it! Was it a normal papilloma and was your IDC in th same breast? I cannot imagine being pregnant and dealing with this!! I am glad you are ok!

I have done nothing...NOTHING but pace the house and am feeling mighty down and out at the moment. I asked, since they think it is a papilloma, if they can just do it all at once since it would probably need to be removed anyway. They said no. :-(

I hope I sleep tonight, my husband said I look exhausted - nice for terrible lol

• monarchandthemilkweed
    monarchandthemilkweed Member Posts: 151
    edited March 2022
    Options

yes my papilloma was a normal one and yes it was the same side where i later developed breast cancer. My breasts were what we call “busy breasts”. I have had a lot of different benign lumps (cysts, fibroadenoma, papilloma) and bumps over the years. After my mastectomy, more “stuff” was found in my breast tissue making me very glad I had the bilateral mastectomy.

I understand the fear. I was very anxious when I had this biopsy. My papilloma was found because I found a large lump in my armpit. I needed to have an ultrasound of that lump. The imaging center automatically did ultrasounds of my breasts because of the lump in my armpit. That’s how the papilloma was found. Of course at the time they had no idea what it was.

Try and keep yourself distracted and busy while you wait! My go to tv show when Im needing distracted is Friends.

Update when you can

• jogirl1970
    edited March 2022
    Options

I saw another note but it seems to have disappeared!

Had the biopsy today - it was terrible in the beginning. Super painful and hurt a lot. And now, I just wait.

Thanks for everyone's kind words. I am hoping it is benign, I haven't slept and my nerves are shot. BLEH

• mle42
    mle42 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2022
    Options

Glad to hear you got through your biopsy! I know the wait for results can be agonizing, but like Moth said above, most breast biopsies come back benign. Just keep reminding yourself of that and find some fun distracting things to do this week while you wait.