Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Callback for First 3D Mammogram

Options
nervousauthor
nervousauthor Member Posts: 22
edited April 2022 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone! I've been lurking and reading and my nervousness has finally gotten the best of me so I decided to post. Had a 3D mammo on 4/7/22. Got a callback within 2 hours from my PCP that I had to have follow up. Yeah, that sent my anxiety skyrocketing. Appointment for follow up mammo and possible ultrasound is not until 4/27. Ugh. That seems so long. So I'm swinging between it's nothing to it's something, of course.

My report is vague: New density in the right breast. Further evaluation with diagnostic mammogram is needed. this should include spot compression views and a 90 degree angle lateral view. If the finding persists, ultrasound would be warranted for further investigation.

Birads 0

That's it. No size. No location. Nada. I have no idea whether it's a new finding on the 3d only. It was compared to 3 previous 2d mammos from last 3 years. It was read by a general radiologist if that makes any difference. My breast composition is scattered fibrograndular.

I'm 57. I had a feeling when I agreed to upgrade to the 3d mammo this year, I would get a callback. Still, it's unnerving. The hospital only started with 3d in 2020. The person scheduling said a lot of women are getting callbacks. I'm wondering if that's because of switching from 2d to 3d.

I know all I can do is wait but I'm a worrier and I can never talk myself out of it. Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

nervousauthor

Comments

• sarahmaude
    sarahmaude Member Posts: 336
    Options

Hi nervousauthor, please check out this link: https://www.breastcancer.org/screening-testing/mammograms/bi-rads-results

You will see that a BIRADS 0 really just says you need to come back for another look. It’s totally inconclusive as a result. Before I was diagnosed, via a 3D mammogram, my BIRADS was a 5. It was pretty apparent something was wrong.

In my personal experience, the 3D mammogram is superior to the 2D version. I had multiple callbacks for the old version and even more griping from the techs and radiologist about my dense breast tissue. I had immediate ultrasound after my suspicious mammogram, and was seen the same afternoon for a biopsy.

Radiology images are really good, but absolutely not perfect. The good news for you is that you have experts following up on what they saw or didn’t see.

I’ll also note that my breast MRI indicated I had another tumor, and it ended up being benign tissue. I think mammography is the best we have as a noninvasive screen, but over the last several months I’ve learned that it’s just an image (the best we’ve ever had) that will possibly lead to follow up that is usually benign.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,945
    Options

Hi nervousauthor, and welcome to Breastcancer.org,

We're so sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're glad you found us and decided to join and get support. As Sarahmaude states, a finding of BI-RADS 0 is very, very promising. But it's good they just want to make sure you're getting looked at closely.

As for differences and benefits of 3D mammograms vs 2D, our main site has a number of articles sharing helpful information on comparing the two: https://www.breastcancer.org/search?search=3d%20ma...

We hope this helps put you at ease. Please let us know if you find out any more information.

--The Mods

• nervousauthor
    Options

Thank you sarahmaude and moderators!

Sometimes I just need to talk things through with people who have been there. I don't want to drive my husband crazy and I haven't told my 2 teenagers. You are all amazingly strong women.

I think the new density and no location or size threw me off. Couldn't find anything similar anywhere. Maybe it's good that it's so vague.

Every time I get a mammo I'm a wreck. My college roommate/best friend was diagnosed in July of 2013 and died that October. She was here, then she wasn't. I don't think I ever had time to really process that. But I've also known many women that are still here and thriving.

Thank you for such a supportive community!

• nervousauthor
    Options

Hi everyone! I just wanted to check in for anyone who might be reading this thread. I had my diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound yesterday the 27th. The result ended up being a Bi-Rads 3, need to return for follow up in 6 months. Was hoping for the all clear, but I'll take it. Radiologist thinks it's an intramammary lymph node. I'm wondering if it was only seen because of the new 3D mammograms picking up everything. Lymph nodes seem to be normal findings on mammos unless they have an unusual appearance.

Reading through this forum, it seems you all are lucky to have different procedures than what I went through. Had 3d mammo on April 7. Follow up couldn't be scheduled until yesterday. I'm assuming the radiologist was not on site and the technician showed him the diagnostic images without his physically being there. He sent me for the ultrasound. The technician didn't say anything while she looked at the lesion. And then she sent me on my way, informing me there was no doctor on site to read the results and I would be hearing from my doctor. The radiologist never spoke to me. It was nerve-wracking.

Luckily my doctor is very good at calling me very soon after any test results come in.

Best wishes to all the women going through all of this!

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    Options

It is great news! Happy for you!