Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation May 2022

Options

Comments

• hippmark
    hippmark Member Posts: 92
    Options

Hi all. I finished radiation today! It was a long 30 treatments. All over finished Monday and Boosts finished today.

I might be the first to finish from this thread, so let me share where my skin is at. It did get very red over about 2/3 of the entire area treated. The worst was under my arm and down the sides. I ended up with 2 small ulcers that are still trying to heal. I even noticed that I had redness on my upper back that is peeling a little. I had about 7 stickers around the area where the boosts were and they told me not to peel them off, but I did when I got home anyway. It's pink skin underneath. The rest of the skin got somewhat red, but manageable.

I think I might end up peeling in some places as they feel "tough" like leather in a couple of spots. My nipple is not so attractive. My tumor was very close to it and the boosts went directly over it. I have lost probably 20% volume in that right breast.

As far as fatigue, it comes and goes.

Will continue to use my creams as long as necessary. I have not noticed yet that my skin got worse after treatment ended on the all over part. But, it might be too soon to declare victory over that!

I did not ring the bell. I don't know why. I think I just didn't want to draw any more attention to myself. The tech told me about 50% do, 50% don't.

To everyone, I hope you have a restful weekend of healing and fun! I'll be thinking about you and your journey forward and will keep you updated.

• pokemom1959
    pokemom1959 Member Posts: 67
    Options

I will finish 18 of 33 today. So far the only side effect is the fatigue, which is REAL!

Hope everyone has a relaxing and restful long weekend.

• nns121317
    nns121317 Member Posts: 110
    Options

Congrats Hippmark!!

I'm halfway done! 15/30. So far my skin is tight and pink, but otherwise things are fine. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Tsohl
    Tsohl Member Posts: 24
    Options

The hospital had a power failure on Thursday so I didn’t have the boost simulation yet. Apparently the machine can’t be run off the generator so I had a surprise day off! Went back Friday for 20 out of 35. I am just starting to look a teeny bit sunburned across my chest. Underarm and breast area are still OK. So far I haven’t experienced any fatigue which has surprised me! I do still have finger pain sometimes from neuropathy developed toward the end of chemo.

Congrats hippmark on finishing! I can’t wait to be finished with all this

• noey69
    noey69 Member Posts: 20
    Options

My tumor was outer left side of my left breast. I’ve completed 14/20 and definitely feeling the fatigue in the afternoons. I’ll sit down in the sofa to read something and I’m out cold.. just for a power nap- then I’m ok. The nerve pains are the weirdest thing. I continue to feel them everywhere. Not just on my left side. In my back, feet, arm, right breast, stomach. And weird, sharp pains in my eyes. Went to the eye doctor for that and she said my eyes look fine. Both RO and MO said the nerve pains were definitely odd, but not a “red flag”. My RO said if they continued in the bin-localized area for longer than a month after radiation ends, I should see a neurologist. whi knows!

• pokemom1959
    Options

I definitely spoke too soon. Just before my 18th treatment on Friday, I noticed that I had a rash on the side of my breast, extending into my underarm. The doc looked and said it was normal and to use some cortisone cream on it. Now, 3 days later, the area on the side of my breast/under my arm looks like I have a dark tan and the rash is still there. It’s not itchy or painful, just unsightly.

Does the discoloration go away after one finishes radiation?

• nns121317
    Options

I'm through 16/30 treatments, and I'm starting to not love the side effects. My skin is pink, but my chest is breaking out and is super itchy. A couple areas are so painful sometimes, I check them to make sure the skin hasn't broken. I'm tired, have some pretty good GERD, lots of aches, shortness of breath, and have a swollen spot where my rib attaches to my sternum on the cancer side. I had immediate implant reconstruction after BMX, and the radiated breast is noticebly higher than the other side. I had four weeks between my last chemo and beginning rads, but I never felt "better" (instead, I had to have blood transfusions because my counts were so low, and my ANA is so high I have to see a rheumatologist to be evaluated for lupus). I think I'm just tired of side effects at this point.

Ever onward!

• BbyMom
    BbyMom Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hello all, congrats to those that finished and hang in there for those that are still getting through it - hopefully the side effects are manageable! I finished almost two weeks ago and am just about to start Tamoxifen. The radiation treatment wasn't easy for me but it was manageable. I'm very fair skinned and started burning on day 8, my breast got quite hot and swollen, and I broke out in a very itchy rash but thankfully I didn't blister (applied LOTS of cream, ointment, and drank a lot of water). A thin layer of the steroid ointment called Betaderm thankfully relieved the itching. Energy was up and down but I slept lot more than normal and seemed to do ok. I even managed to do a Girl Guide camp weekend in the middle of it, so it wasn't too tooo bad with some extra help. My breast is still darker and feels weird (scar tissue and a healing seroma) but is not painful or itchy at all anymore. Now for the next challenge - hormone therapy and waiting for ultrasound results on my left breast that is being monitored. I cannot imagine going through everything again on my other side if I get bad results so I'm hoping and praying Tamoxifen is it and the end of my cancer journey. Thinking of you all and wishing you well.

• hippmark
    Options

Hi nns. I'm sorry your skin is starting to react on you. It did on me on the 17th treatment. I also seemed to get Gerd with rads. I think I had mild before, but it really has acted up since rads. I have no idea if it's related or not. I started rads 2 weeks after chemo and like you, I "never felt better" between chemo and rads. I have had zero appetite since chemo and that was 2 months ago.

You might want to ask your Doctor about Momestasone cream. It has a steroid in it and he gave it to me when I started to get really red and swollen. It seemed to help. I am almost 1 week post rads and my skin is healing and peeling now with fresh pink skin underneath the very red areas. I also had 30 treatments. I think my constant use of all creams helped it from getting too bad, but I still got a couple of small ulcers and "sunburn."

All this to say that I completely understand the being WAY over side effects. Today, I think I might be developing a case of shingles on my torso so I am jumping on meds right away. Seems you can't get through one thing without something else cropping up and saying "hey, I'm here too." I think my body is just worn down to a nub and my immune system is off.

bbymom, my breast is darker too, but I think that is where it is going to peel. I hope your other breast comes back ok! I am putting off starting Arimidex until I am off the blood thinner from a clot from the chemo picc line. It already makes me feel achy.

I hope everyone else is doing ok on their rad journey! Post here. People are reading even if they don't reply!

• BbyMom
    Options

hippmark, I'm now two weeks post rads and it's not peeling yet but I'm hoping it will as it's quite a bit darker and would be visible in a lower top or bathing suit/bikini. A work collegue of mine never peeled and has a permanently darker area still after 4yrs. :( So sorry to hear about the clot and the shingles. When my mom had the shingles 2yrs ago and didn't want to leave the house due to covid, I got her to try my anti-viral cold sore medication, valacyclovir, and it helped. It stopped it from spreading. I found out that it was in the same family as herpes and we decided it was worth a try using the same dosage I use when I get an outbreak: 4 tablets as soon as possible, and then 4 more 12hrs later. It may be worth a try if that's what it is? Hope things get better for you...

• hippmark
    Options

bbymom, I did start on meds the Doctor called in for shingles the same day. I think it is keeping it at bay for now as my skin has not yet broken out.

I do still have some darker areas I'm not sure will peel. It's "patchy" looking. Some peel, some not. I'll ask my RO at my next appointment. I also have some tiny broken blood vessles as the skin on my chest tends to do that. I know IPL can take care of that. Maybe IPL can work on dark areas too.

• Tsohl
    Options

I finished my 25th treatment Friday and am just about the same as when I started. I had full breast radiotherapy on right breast for 25 treatments and on Monday I will start 10 boost treatments focused on the tumor bed between my breasts.

After 5 weeks my chest skin began to pink up. As of today my chest skin looks like I am sunburned. It is beginning to itch. I'm so grateful I made it this far!

Before I began radiotherapy, I tried to talk to my nurse navigator out of having radiation. I met with her and I expressed all my doubts and she refused…she said I needed to have it. When I look back at the last 2 months, I have to admit that my feelings were unfounded. My experience with radiation thus far, after 25 treatments, has been lovely. I have no side effects…thus far

• Tsohl
    Options

I'd like to add that even though I am “ symptom free" I have these weird pains in my nipple. They surprise me because my surgeon's scalpel didn't come close to my nipple…so I don't understand why I am experiencing these weird jabs of pain! Anyone else experiencing this nipple pain

• BbyMom
    Options

hippmark, I'm glad to hear that the shingles is under control as I know it can be very painful. Good idea about IPL, I will give my skin a little more time to heal and then will check into it. I'm very fair skinned so the dark patch is very noticeable.

tsohl, what a great message! Thank you for sharing. I wonder if the nipple pains are due to the many nerve endings there.... hopefully it's just temporary. I had nerve pain within the breast (also not limited to the surgery site) but not specifically at the nipple. My RO was going to prescribe something for it but I opted to wait to the following week's appointment and the pain subsided by then and is now completely gone.

• nns121317
    Options

A lot of us are finishing up!

Wednesday was #22 for me, and I met with the RO. Initially he planned on 30 treatments, but he said some areas are getting close to the max dose, so he's going to stop me at 25. Because I've already had implant reconstruction, my plan is a little different, and I guess some areas get hit pretty hard. I'm a little concerned about stopping early, but have no real reason to propose anything different. Hopefully the radiation has done its job.

Yesterday I had my oophorectomy. I previously had a hysterectomy, but only one ovary was removed, so this surgery took the other one. Recovery isn't bad, just a little swelling and soreness. Today I got my port out, which is super exciting for me - that thing was painful and didn't work well.

My radiated skin is quite red and swollen at this point, and where I was previously breaking out is peeling a bit. Also, I have lots of freckles/moles, and some of them are now quite dark, almost black. I see the dermatologist next month for my annual skin check, and I intend to ask him what can be done about any remaining discoloration.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

• hippmark
    Options

Hi nns, You've had a lot going on! Only 3 rad treatments left! I'm certain your RO is making the best decision. 25 is still a lot of treatments.

I did peel quite a bit. But there is nice healthy skin underneath. Two weeks post, my skin is still darker, but it looks good. I also have darker freckles and moles, but I assume that is because all the radiated skin is darker.

Congrats on getting your port out! You have accomplished a lot in just a couple of days!

• sallyred
    sallyred Member Posts: 24
    Options

Greetings all,

Last Tuesday I finished 16 full-breast treatments and tomorrow will be my 3rd of 5 boosts (my RO originally said 20 and 1 boost and Tuesday it was - oh, no, we're doing 5 boosts ... not sure when they changed their minds, but it's always been 21 treatments total).

My skin has been slightly red since around the 4th treatment, so I could faintly see the radiation field. A little itching and stinging but really not much discomfort. I can't seem to keep the sharpie marks they make to target the boost, but I figure they'll just have to deal with that (me too!).

My RO has said that once my skin isn't so sensitive I should do minor compressions to the breast to stimulate the lymphatic system - hardly any pressure at all is necessary. I don't think I've seen anyone else mention this - are you getting this same recommendation?

• hippmark
    Options

Hi Sally red, my RO never mentioned doing compressions. Seems logical. Happy you haven't had much discomfort!

• Tsohl
    Options

OK, could you describe what is a compression? Sounds like I should be doing it

• Tsohl
    Options

33 out of 35 done! I had an appointment with my medical oncologist today and it felt like the last day of school. My chemotherapy-inducedblood clot has vanished and all my bloodwork is back to normal. I will begin Anastrozole in a month. I am no longer considered “immuno compromised,” so, all in all, a pretty great day!

• hippmark
    Options

Congratulations tsohl! I also will be off my blood thinner in 11 days from my picc line clot. Then comes the big dog. Arimidex and Prolia shot. Best to you on your last 2 rads!

• sallyred
    Options

Argh! my computer deleted my original reply, so this is shorter -

Congrats tsoh and hippmark for the progress and milestones!

My RO used both hands on either side of my arm, barely any more pressure than touching to show me the amount of pressure to use. She said 5-10x pressing the sides of my breast, then top and bottom, once or twice a day. Again, barely any pressure. And I know we all realize this is what *my* RO recommended for *me* - you might want to ask your own RO about it. I haven't tried googling information on it, either.

Onward!

• sallyred
    Options

Although my skin has darkened, especially after my boosts, I really hadn't realized how much because the sharpie markings were always smearing and I was told not to wash (though wet was ok). I still think I'll have permanent sharpie black at my scar (not really - it just feels that way).

The new thing for me is that in the last couple of days my right breast (lumpectomy and radiation) seems to have really "tightened up." It was slightly smaller than my left breast pre-diagnosis. A dent was taken out with my lumpectomy - but now it is noticeably (lots more, to me) higher and smaller. And I characterize that nipple as being slightly drunk after the lumpectomy - it's a little off to the side, not straight-on anymore.

Sigh.

Although I was told all of this was going to happen, seeing it and confronting that this is my body now is my new ... challenge? Or maybe just, reality. It's not a mastectomy, and not worth even trying to pad the dimple. It's just not the body I had for 64 years - or however many I had with actual breasts :-)

My surgeon had initially planned working on my left breast, too, to make them more even. The neoadjuvant chemo shrunk the tumor enough that the surgery wasn't going to be that much. She had said there will be an opportunity in a few months to decide whether I want the additional work (sorry, my brain is blanking on the medical/insurance term), which insurance should pay for. (Should ... I'll have turned 65 by then, my current insurance is leaving the state at the end of next month, anyway, so -?)

I don't know what I'll decide then. For now, I look like I have a perky 20-year old's breast AND a 64-year old's honest sag ... I rarely worry about appearance, so don't know why I'm writing about this - except that I can, and that there are plenty of women out there who know what I'm talking about, and more who have so much more to deal with than this ...

• sallyred
    Options

My last radiation treatment was June 15. During my 16 + 5 boosts, I was fine. In the last several days, the redness/discoloration in my armpit has gotten a bit more painful - so I am back to treating the radiated area several times a day instead of slacking off and only slap-dashing before getting dressed or undressed. What's really surprised me is that NOW I'm feeling the fatigue. Maybe because I'm able to be more active throughout the day, concentrating on work, etc.?

Anyone else having a lag in their SE from radiation?

• hippmark
    Options

Hi sallyred, I am a month out from rads. I did not have lagging side effects after rads, but I have read that some do. Maybe your fatigue is due to a restful break right now? Your body might be needing it.

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    Options

sallyred

I remember my RO telling me it might get worse before it gets better in terms of all the side effects (skin under the arm was most definitely worse before it gets better but that makes sense since the skin is being damaged from the inside out). I don’t remember being more tired but I don’t remember being less either if that makes sense (on the flip side I ended rads in April right before I had a week off for spring break and I know that helped. 3 months out the only lasting side effect is the lack of arm pit hair and I’m not to upset about that. Hoping you feel better soon.

• nns121317
    Options

I finished 25 sessions on 6/15. On the day I finished, I had what amounted to a bad sunburn - very pink, maybe a couple tiny blisters. By the following week, I had oozing (and later bleeding) open wounds under my breast and in my armpit. The pain was way worse than my mastectomy. My RO set me up with domeboro soaks, silvadene, and oil-based dressings. After another two weeks, the skin is whole again and looks fine, just a little tender still. I am still quite fatigued and very swollen in the rads area, but I also had surgery on 6/9 and had my port out 6/10, which is now infected, so I think my body is just working overtime.

Congrats to so many of us for finishing up!!

• whimsicalzaadugirilife888
    Options

To all those that are done or going thru rads, do you have to shower every day ? My RO has suggested 4 different creams to apply multiply times a day, which is good if it helps the skin. Is it ok to not shower daily after rads and just apply the creams daily?

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    Options

if you don't want to shower every day I think that's up to you. Since I wasn't using any deodorant on the side of radiation (no shaving no deodorant per day instructions from RO) and working full time, I most certainly was showering daily (only used a moisturizer twice a day). But really you do, you. Whatever is going to work to get you thru your session.

I will say that because I was trying to make sure my markers and stickers stayed on it wasn’t like I was scrubbing away at my skin 😀.

• pokemom1959
    Options

I didn’t shower every day during rads. I was using a deodorant without aluminum, so I didn’t really need to shower every day plus I was still babying my hair after coldcapping during chemo. I didn’t have any problems. My skin never ulcerated during 6.5 weeks of treatment. I had some darkening of the skin tone, but it is slowly going back to normal a month later. I think it’s really personal preference/need. :)