Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Significance of specific IDC histology features

Options
jen2957
jen2957 Member Posts: 75

Hi, all! I am between surgeries (April 6 and May 3) and probably have to much “restricted activity" time on my hands 🙃…I am hoping someone may be able to help me with understanding the significance of “Cribriform features" in IDC. I have been trying to find some information that is not about pure “Invasive Cribriform Carcinoma" or DCIS architecture, but about the significance of the Cribriform pattern in IDC specifically. In many places, including the pathology explanation page on this site, this feature is referenced as relevant to prognosis, but aside from a description of the appearance of the pattern itself, I am not finding an explanation of how it is relevant.

Has anyone ever had the finding and significance of Cribriform features in IDC explained to you?

Comments

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 752
    Options

Hi. My tumor also showed this pattern on my pathology. Here's a pretty simple definition:

Cribriform - Pathology dictionary - MyPathologyReport.ca

Being hormone positive -it could be that our progesterone was responsible for knocking holes in the tumor. Just my thought, it was never explained to me and I didn't ask as I do not think it made any difference in type, staging, treatment.

Best wishes to you on your next surgery

• mswife
    mswife Member Posts: 66
    Options

cribriform pattern is veryoften found along other types of IDC. Cribriform tends to be a slow growing, ‘more favourable’ type of IDC, but features matter less than the final diagnosis - ie. pure cribriform vs IDC of no special type or not otherwise specified with cribriform features. Hope this helps.

• jen2957
    Options

Ctmbsikia- Thanks so much for responding. I had seen that info before-definitely good info as far as the explanation of the appearance, but it didn't really address the significance of the pattern. I feel I never see that part explained.

Mswife- That's the type of info I am looking for. I'm not sure why I have felt compelled to find more on this-other than my obsessive desire to always understand details of any particular topic I'm researching. I feel like I understand the rest of the pathology pretty well, but this little part has just been bugging me. I think maybe I'm feeling a bit out of control right now and education/research are always my go-to ways of trying to restore order in the chaos. 😂 How is your husband doing?

• mswife
    mswife Member Posts: 66
    Options

i hear you! I think I’ve read the entire internet looking for info. Were you IDC nst or nos? Grade 1, that’s decent news.

My husband seems to be doing very well so far! 🤞🏻

• jen2957
    Options

mswife-Funny you should say that! Early in this process, my husband asked me if I was going to read the entire internet. I told him I had finished itthe week before and just rereading a few parts. I just fall down the rabbit hole and can't stop myself. I am so happy your hubby is doing well!!! Excellent news!

My pathology was listed as such:image