Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Is delaying mammogram for a few weeks a bad idea?

nanka
nanka Member Posts: 27

Hello all, I am planning a dream trip with my family in July. I have a mammogram appointment May 24. I feel like I want to delay the mammogram until after the trip.

My reasoning is : I am a 10 year survivor. If something is found and suspicious on May 24th, I know myself, and I won't be able to let it go or forget about it. I want to go on my trip worry free.

My question is : Do you think delaying a mammogram for 8 weeks is a bad idea? IF there is something there, there would be 8 week growth, but if I understand correctly, BC's grow over a period years! Is my reasoning skewed?

Any input is welcome...I need to talk it out, I guess.

Comments

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 639
    edited May 2022

Hi nanka, I feel exactly the same way you do, I would delay it also! I recently delayed my CT chest a couple weeks for the same reason so I could enjoy my vacation worry free. I don't think your reasoning is skewed at all! We all suffer from anxiety when it's imaging time.

To me I think you deserve a fabulous vacation with your family. My motto has been to try not to let tomorrow's worries steal today's joy! Would you feel better by asking your MO if they are ok with it? Maybe that confirmation that you are not being reckless would help you? Also maybe hearing some reassurance that the likelihood of recurrence is low would help you to be at peace with your decision! Best wishes in your decision and have a fabulous vacation!

• rain88
    rain88 Member Posts: 160
    edited May 2022

I, personally, would do the mammogram, without canceling my trip, then forget about it until after. I am sure there wouldn' t be any major changes in 8 weeks (I had to wait longer then that for my lumpectomy!). On the either hand, I would be able to check my portal once back from the trip and wouldn't have to make a new appointment and therefore wait much longer for the results, which could end up being more stressful. Best of luck! ♥️

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 552
    edited May 2022

I tend to avoid scheduling things right after imaging for exactly this reason. I lost a Disney trip to my first diagnosis. I was in surgery the day we were supposed to be at Epcot.

• nanka
    nanka Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2022

Thanks everyone for your feedback. These are all good points.

I have decided to delay, just because as much I know that I could get the mammo and forget it until after the trip if they find something, my brain won't let me forget it. I just wish I could and try hard to change my thinking process but so far, not working.

Again, I really appreciate your answers. Thanks goodness for this site where you can talk to people who "get it". :)